Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTPC Software for Blu-ray/HD playback, burning and authoring

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted January 21 2011 - 08:25 AM

I'm setting up a new PC (as my current one is getting rather ancient), so I can finally get into some HD editing/playback on my PC.

What do you think the best software to use is?

Right now I'm looking at PowerDVD 10 Ultra for Blu-Ray playback and Nero Multimedia Suite Platinum HD for burning and maybe simple editing. Also in mind for more advanced editing is either Pinnacle or Sony Vegas. What do you think of these? Or do you have some better suggestions in mind (free or commerical)?

On my current PC I have rather old versions of some of these: Nero 6, PowerDVD (can't remember what version off-hand), and Pinnacle (11 I think).

What do you guys use/recommend?

Check out my Flickr stream. Join the HTF Flickr Pool.

#2 of 3 ONLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 21 2011 - 10:25 AM

My own opinion, and YMMV, but PowerDVD10 = crap.   You are better off to start looking at Arcsoft's TMT5, (Total Media Theater 5) which can be more easily linked in with media center and has better functions, and is much more "correct" in how it handles input.. and yes, it does 3D as well if that later becomes an issue.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted January 24 2011 - 07:02 AM

Thanks. I haven't heard of TMT5. It looks interesting. Out of curiosity what is it you don't like about PowerDVD10? I know whatever version I have is pretty old and I barely even used it, so I have no opinion on it one way or the other.

Check out my Flickr stream. Join the HTF Flickr Pool.