Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

B & W DM 601

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   80S MUSIC FREAK

80S MUSIC FREAK

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted January 21 2011 - 05:38 AM

New guy here. Don't beat me up to badly. I have a set of the B & M DM 601's that I bought back in about 1998. I have been using them with different home theater receiver's over the past 12 years. Is B & W is as good as they where years ago?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 09:52 AM

Welcome Erik, I don't think anyone has ever beaten an owner of B&W speakers on this forum. B&W is still a highly respect company that has been in business for a long time.  Your 600 series are still in their product line,  While they have introduced new product lines I believe they have done so at their price point while maintaining their established quality goals.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 12:54 AM

I still use three DM602s that I bought about the same time for my front speakers in my home theater.  They are magnificent IMO, and I have no intention to replace them.  The tweeters tend to blow the diaphragm element, it's about a $50 replacement, easy to DIY. I've replaced two of mine.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,906 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 07 2011 - 08:02 AM

I have been using B&W 600 Series speakers for my main system for many years, and like Philip stated above, I have no plans of replacing them -- they still sound terrific. If you are happy with how they sound, there is no reason to consider them outdated. B&W still sells this line of speakers -- albeit with newer model numbers. A co-worker bought a set a year or so ago and loves them, too.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Earstoyou

Earstoyou

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted February 14 2011 - 04:21 PM

I also have 601's. Mine are S2's that I picked up at a garage sale this summer for $5 for the pair with blown tweeters. My neighbor sells and installs mega-buck audiophile systems, and he convinced me to replace the tweeter from B&W, which cost about $150 with shipping. He has sold all the best speakers and really knows hi-end sound - Wilson, Snell, Magnepans, Martin Logan, etc., and still thought that at the price level, and with high quality stands and placement, the 601's offer excellent sound with imaging to die for. Needless to say, he was right, and my speakers image so well that even though I bought the matching CC6 S2 center, it really is not needed because the 601s throw such a wide, wide soundstage that much of the music seems to come out of the center, even though it is not on! It really is an amazing feat, so IMHO, these seem to be very, very pleasant and totally non-fatiguing to listen to both music and HT on, especially with a subwoofer. I listen to jazz, classical, blues, R&B, and vocal music, and these 601's do very well with all of these. By sheer experimentation, I even found a neat trick to change the quite scuffed, matte black cabinets into something much more attractive (to me) and pristine looking - black Kiwi cake (in the metal can) shoe polish, applied, buffed with a shoe brush, reapplied, re-buffed, etc., until the speakers almost look like that piano-black surface. They really look brand new, and the transformation was truly amazing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users