• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   unsatisfied dan

unsatisfied dan

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 19 2011 - 07:12 AM

Hi Everyone,

Im very new to this forum,. If Im post in the wrong section Im very sorry.
I have a complete in home Speaker-crap system. this was installed in our house brand new costing around $6000. A total of 6 in ceiling speakers, a center speaker and a 1000watt in ceiling sub with a separate amp. Well to make a long story short the amp went out the sub doesnt work so Im struck with a $2500 boat anchor. After calling Speaker-Crap and speaking with 1 of their techs (who was an ASS by the way) in his own words and I quote "well you can either throw it out or buy a new one". A new one really sure let me pull $2500 out of my rear-end.

Im sorry everyone....just had to vent

NEVER NEVER BUY SPEAKER-CRAP

like it says they are CRAP

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 19 2011 - 04:31 PM

Dan,

Why on earth would you install a sub in the ceiling.  I can't think of a worse location for a sub.   

Have you tried to contact the contractor who sold you and installed your $6,000 in ceiling system.   Since it was a new custom installation you should have a warranty for workmanship and materials from the installer.  I know that in ceiling speakers tend to be more expensive than stand alone but $6,000 for a 5.1 speaker system sounds like a lot of money.   With that budget you could have purchased a pretty high end 5.1 stand alone system.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 19 2011 - 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by unsatisfied dan 

Hi Everyone,

Im very new to this forum,. If Im post in the wrong section Im very sorry.
I have a complete in home Speaker-crap system. this was installed in our house brand new costing around $6000. A total of 6 in ceiling speakers, a center speaker and a 1000watt in ceiling sub with a separate amp. Well to make a long story short the amp went out the sub doesnt work so Im struck with a $2500 boat anchor. After calling Speaker-Crap and speaking with 1 of their techs (who was an ASS by the way) in his own words and I quote "well you can either throw it out or buy a new one". A new one really sure let me pull $2500 out of my rear-end.

Im sorry everyone....just had to vent

NEVER NEVER BUY SPEAKER-CRAP

like it says they are CRAP

Welcome to Home Theater Forum Dan, and sorry you are having trouble with your speaker system.  According to their website they have a lifetime warranty on the in-ceiling sub (8.2 BAS), but its power handling is listed as only 100 watts, so it seems odd to have a 1000 watt amp hooked up to it.   Speaker Craft has a good reputation, so its odd that you are getting this response (and the poor treatment).  Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like there is something missing from the story.  What was the model of the sub and amp?  Was it purchased from an authorized dealer?  Have you tried going throught the installer/dealer?  If so what happened, if not why not?  You shouldn't have to deal with Speaker Craft, that is the dealers job.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 20 2011 - 04:41 AM

Adam,

You are far to kind in your assessment of Dan's problem with his Speakercraft Custom installed speakers. 

Rather than speculate further I think we should leave it to Dan to tell us the rest of story concerning his problem as according to the Speakercraft website their speakers are only sold and warranted through Authorized Dealers.

But I get the feeling that is a story he we won't hear.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   unsatisfied dan

unsatisfied dan

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 20 2011 - 05:29 AM

Hi Everyone

Please let me clarify this.

My home was built in 2002 the builder offered speakercraft for the in home sound sys

At the time the in ceiling sub was all they offered and yes its a 1000 watt sub BassX-2

The amp has stopped working well not really stopped all i get is a crackling sound

I know its out of warranty, the installer is out of biz as well as our builder

I have contacted the dealer in my area, they gave me the names of some repair companies

I called them and they wont touch the amp.

Now I'm NOT asking for a new amp or anything like that, as some people on another forum have accused me of

All I am asking is for spearkercraft to point me in the right direction to get it repaired

That's all and when I asked I ran into a brick wall thus my frustration

Speakercraft wont release the tech manuals at least to my knowledge

I have all this nice speaker equip. but I cant use all of it

I hope this clarifies what I was saying

I'm not trying to be an ass to speakercraft but they have my 6 grand and I have .....

Dan

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 20 2011 - 08:08 AM

For future reference it would help your cause to note that the original installer and builder are now out of business.

So essentially you called Speaker Craft to see about repairing your out of warranty amp and they told you its not repairable and to buy a new one?  Did they give any reasons for why its not repairable?

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   unsatisfied dan

unsatisfied dan

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 20 2011 - 08:36 AM

Speakercraft told me the amp  model # bb2502 is no longer made

I do have a question

will the onkyo m-282 work as an amp for my sub

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 21 2011 - 07:11 AM

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now we know the rest of the story"

Having one electronic component of a 9 year old system go bad sure doesn't warrant a condemnation of your entire Speakercraft system.  Most of us would consider 9 years as a normal life for a sub amp. While I find it strange that neither Speakercraft or any of the repair company's want to fix your sub amp, it is what it is and your only option is to either purchase a new sub amp that will be compatible with your Speakercraft in ceiling driver.   Since you have already had contact with Speakercraft and authorized dealers I am sure they must have a recommended a replacement sub amp that your could purchase.  

I would not purchase any other amp  to drive you sub driver unless you checked it out with Speakercraft or an authorized dealer. 

Your other option is to purchase a new stand alone sub.   You might start by looking at the SVS line of subs.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Audiogoddess

Audiogoddess

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 03:55 AM

Paul Harvey would have very disappointed with that "rest of the story".

If it was installed 9 years ago, and you say it never worked correctly, why did you wait to get it fixed? To wait 9 years on a product that had a limited warranty before you whine about the problem...how is this SC's fault? Because there wasn't an alarm telling you you need to call before the warranty expires? Methinks there is a great more to the story, or why would you have waited so long to complain? Either you didn't use the system "that didn't work" for 9 years, which is on you, or you knew there was a problem but still waited 9 years to try to get it fixed. Which is on you. Either way, you're going to have to put on your big boy drawers and own up that the reason you have a system that doesn't work is because of you.

I love the "NEVER BUY SPEAKERCRAFT" heading on this. "I'm not trying to be an ass to Speakercraft but they have my $6000 and I have..." taken to posting this same sob story, trying to run them through the mud on multiple forum sites. I don't think you'll get any sympathy for ignoring a problem until there is nothing that can be done. But I haven't seen you post yet on Audioholics or Home Theater Spot. Perhaps that's where your sypathetic audience will lie.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   morallybankrupt

morallybankrupt

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 12 2011 - 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Audiogoddess 

Paul Harvey would have very disappointed with that "rest of the story".

I love the "NEVER BUY SPEAKERCRAFT" heading on this. "I'm not trying to be an ass to Speakercraft but they have my $6000 and I have..." taken to posting this same sob story, trying to run them through the mud on multiple forum sites. I don't think you'll get any sympathy for ignoring a problem until there is nothing that can be done. But I haven't seen you post yet on Audioholics or Home Theater Spot. Perhaps that's where your sypathetic audience will lie.

Ouch!  Hey Dan, would you mine posting your mailing address or work address?  Preferably some place where a process server can put a document onto your person? I bet the folks at Speakercraft would love to have you put a name and an address for service behind your remarks.  If I was them I would be all over you like a Pitbull on a pork chop.  I don't know if the posts on this forum can be edited, but if I were you, I would try to have my remarks removed by whatever means possible...lamer

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   morallybankrupt

morallybankrupt

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 12 2011 - 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by unsatisfied dan 

Hi Everyone

Please let me clarify this.

My home was built in 2002 the builder offered speakercraft for the in home sound sys

I called them and they wont touch the amp.

Now I'm NOT asking for a new amp or anything like that, as some people on another forum have accused me of...

I hope this clarifies what I was saying

I'm not trying to be an ass to speakercraft but they have my 6 grand and I have .....

Dan

Hey Dan,

Did you try these guys?  Second hit when I Googled "Speakercraft repair"

http://calgary.kijij...QAdIdZ229607818

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   DR j

DR j

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 01:33 AM

Dealt with Speaker Craft for 10 years and never had a product fail. Put their product into at least 10 houses. Thats IT

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   MikeWB

MikeWB

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 09:36 AM

Our Speakercraft system, too, has been awful. Worst purchase ever made. Horrible reliability. Keep threatening to take it to the dealer and run it over with my car in front of his store.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Brainwasher

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted January 12 2013 - 11:20 AM

Wow, seems to be some mixed reviews about speakercraft. Maybe it's the installers or the way they were installed. They tried to sell me the same type system on my new house. I knew better. My advise, buy a stand Alone sub, and start building a "better" system. Prices are nice and low right now.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   unsatisfied in Edmonton

unsatisfied in Edmonton

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 03:06 PM

I agree, never buy this stuff under any circumstances.  Our 4 zone Speaker-crap system was very expensive ($6K), and the installer was recommended by the home builder (probably a buddy or working on a kickback system).  The main MZC 64 controller started having problems with losing power to zones within months of being installed.  Installer reprogrammed the keypads and we lost some functions, but at least it worked -- temporarily.  Then, not long after, more problems occurred and now the installer said it needed to be replaced.  Waited for months to get it replaced, after seemingly being forgotten about by the installer and then being told we'd have to pay for a new one because now it was out of the warranty period.  After showing them proof it was promised to be replaced while under the warranty period, it was finally replaced (probably by a used/refurbished unit as the installer just brought it over with no packaging) then months later the replacement broke down and is not working at all.  As that rip off artist has now gone under (or more likely started up under another name) we took it to a reputable local company to see if it could be fixed and was told it could not, we need another one.  Wrote to Speaker-crap and the district sales person about our problems and they couldn't be bothered to write back with any kind of reply.  DO NOT BUY SPEAKERCRAP!  Over-priced garbage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users