Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Shout Factory - Bob Hope Collection Vol. 2, April 12

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 08:53 AM

Amazon has a pre-order listing for Shout Factory's April 12 release of "The Bob Hope Collection  Volume 2," with...

THE GREAT LOVER (1949)

SON OF PALEFACE (1952)

PARIS HOLIDAY (1958)

THE PRIVATE NAVY OF SGT. O'FARRELL (1968)

HOW TO COMMIT MARRIAGE (1969)

CANCEL MY RESERVATION (1972)

#2 of 12 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 09:07 AM

Yeah, we were discussing it in the general Shout release schedule thread.  I, like everyone else, am hoping for widescreen transfers of the last four.  Son of Paleface looked pretty good on the BCI set so I expect it should look just fine here.  Paris Holiday probably looked the worst.  P&S, of course, and pretty faded on top of that.  Frankly, Paris, Private and Marriage just looked like old video transfers dumped to disc.

#3 of 12 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,265 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hopefully they can get a good copy of The Great Lover. A good movie but the sound in every copy I've seen has so much noise and hum it gives me a headache and its hard to hear what they are saying sometimes. I had the Columbia VHS release, and two different DVD releases and all were the same.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#4 of 12 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted January 19 2011 - 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick 

Hopefully they can get a good copy of The Great Lover. A good movie but the sound in every copy I've seen has so much noise and hum it gives me a headache and its hard to hear what they are saying sometimes. I had the Columbia VHS release, and two different DVD releases and all were the same.

Yes, the print quality of the Great Lover on the BCI set was awful.  A good print of it will be the primary reason to buy this set, if it occurs.  Back when I contacted Shout regarding The Lemon Drop Kid (http://www.hometheat...m-shout-factory), they told me that, "We’ll also be releasing other movies that BCI had, as well as another film that they didn’t."  I guess the new film is not on this set, and will be released as a stand alone.  I wonder what it will be.

#5 of 12 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted January 19 2011 - 02:03 AM

Ummm...CANCEL MY RESERVATION (1972) was not on the BCI set.  There's your new one.

#6 of 12 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted January 19 2011 - 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil 

Ummm...CANCEL MY RESERVATION (1972) was not on the BCI set.  There's your new one.

Darn.  Hope's post-1960 films tend to blur in my mind.  I was hoping Shout would release one of his unreleased 1950s films like Beau James.  At least maybe we'll finally have a decent print of The Great Lover.

#7 of 12 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted January 19 2011 - 06:11 AM

Olive Films is most likely to bring out BEAU JAMES (or THAT CERTAIN FEELING and HERE COME THE GIRLS).  They brought out MY FAVORITE SPY and OFF LIMITS is coming out this March.

Charles Hoyt

#8 of 12 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted January 20 2011 - 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Charles H 

Olive Films is most likely to bring out BEAU JAMES (or THAT CERTAIN FEELING and HERE COME THE GIRLS).  They brought out MY FAVORITE SPY and OFF LIMITS is coming out this March.

Yes, Let's hope that Olive Films brings out more Paramounts (and maybe has a sale sometime).

#9 of 12 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,528 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 14 2011 - 02:08 PM

Watched a lot the Bob Hope Collection Volume 2 and I am somewhat disappointed in it.  CANCEL MY RESERVATION, HOW TO COMMIT MARRIAGE and THE PRIVATE NAVY OF SGT. O'FARRELL are full frame and not widescreen anamorphic.  The good news is that PARIS HOLIDAY is widescreen anamorphic in all it's Technirama glory for the first time.  The bad news is that there does not seem to be any improvement in the transfer for THE GREAT LOVER.  But I am happy with the color and the transfers of the all the other films.  It does also appear that the three full frame titles have a lot of room at the top and bottom of the picture so they are more than likely using the whole frame and transfer were not masking for 1.85.  Oh well, while it's not a great film, it is good to have Mr. Hope's final film available.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 12 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted April 15 2011 - 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

Watched a lot the Bob Hope Collection Volume 2 and I am somewhat disappointed in it.  CANCEL MY RESERVATION, HOW TO COMMIT MARRIAGE and THE PRIVATE NAVY OF SGT. O'FARRELL are full frame and not widescreen anamorphic.  The good news is that PARIS HOLIDAY is widescreen anamorphic in all it's Technirama glory for the first time.  The bad news is that there does not seem to be any improvement in the transfer for THE GREAT LOVER.  But I am happy with the color and the transfers of the all the other films.  It does also appear that the three full frame titles have a lot of room at the top and bottom of the picture so they are more than likely using the whole frame and transfer were not masking for 1.85.  Oh well, while it's not a great film, it is good to have Mr. Hope's final film available.

Have you seen the BCI print of the Great Lover?  Even a poor quality TCM print would be better than that.  If it's really no better, that would be extremely disappointing.  Is Paris Holiday a very good movie?

#11 of 12 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,528 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 15 2011 - 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes 

Have you seen the BCI print of the Great Lover?  Even a poor quality TCM print would be better than that.  If it's really no better, that would be extremely disappointing.  Is Paris Holiday a very good movie?

I don't think that it is that much better.  The Great Lover, dare I say it, almost looks like a poor 16mm transfer.  Paris Holiday has its moments, but is not one of the classic Hope, but at least it looks good and is in the right aspect ratio,

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 12 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,450 posts

Posted April 15 2011 - 06:54 AM

Too bad Cliff and his team weren't involved with these as they are with the Roger Corman titles, searching for quality prints for their releases if none are readily available and doing touch-ups when necessary.  As is, I'd only buy this at a bargain bin price solely for Paris Holiday, the only one that is not a widely circulated PD print.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users