What's new

MY FAIR LADY. Has Paramount any plans to release this? (1 Viewer)

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
This acknowledged classic I assume is currently owned by Paramount.

(If only Warner still owned the rights, this would be out by now on Blu)

Therefore does anyone know if there are any plans to release My Fair lady on Blu Ray?

Robert Harris restored this for 70mm back in 1993, so therefore I assume the elements are there to carry out this important release?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember the exact details, but it's my understanding that the rights for this one are quite sorted. IIRC, CBS Films might actually hold the rights right now but I'm not 100 percent on that.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
CBS owns the copyright and has since 1971. Since the Viacom split, Paramount has had a "gentleman's agreement" with CBS to release their stuff. I'm guessing they'll be dipping into the Audrey Hepburn titles soon, as there's no more that they can possibly do with them on DVD.

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eerik Paal
It seems that Paramount only wants to release one classic title on Blu-ray per year so when there is a discussion forum regarding classic films on Blu-ray or something like that they could defend themselves. Last year it was African Queen and this year it is The Ten Commandments.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
CBS should just let Warner release it, after all it was Warner who filmed it

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

But CBS is the one that owns it. The poor judgment was with Jack Warner who agreed to a limited ownership of the film. Even in those days before home video there was some money to be made in television sales and theatrical re-releases.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by ahollis

But CBS is the one that owns it. The poor judgment was with Jack Warner who agreed to a limited ownership of the film. Even in those days before home video there was some money to be made in television sales and theatrical re-releases.
[/QUOTE]
Where is this "poor judgment" by Mr. Warner? He wanted to produce the film, and made the best deal that he could. He won a Best Picture award for the studio, and decades later the studio made millions from a new license for home video. The best thing for the film, and toward a continuous and hefty income stream for all concerned, would have been for CBS / Viacom to extend the WB home video license. Millions more would already have come in.

There is no proper high quality HD master for the film, and a great deal of work needs to be performed toward a quality Blu-ray release.

RAH

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Robert Harris
There is no proper high quality HD master for the film, and a great deal of work needs to be performed toward a quality Blu-ray release.

RAH

Warner is very good about working to restore their films for Blu-ray. It would be great if they were to re-new the license.

Mr. Harris - There are better versions of Audrey Hepburns vocals floating around (and for all of the songs) . Could these be re-incorporated into the film as an alternate track?

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Thank you for your informative reply. (we recently went to the BFI national Film Theater to see MFL and were disappointed by only seeing a 35mm print...slightly muddy..... I was under the impression the ACADEMY SCREEN ARHIVE had a decent 70mm print, but the BFI claimed it was already faded since your restoration in 1993!)

I hope one day Paramoun or whoevert will produce a decent HD Master as I am sure this would sell well on blu ray. A most informative update, thank you. Bruce Campbell

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by CULTMAN1

Thank you for your informative reply. (we recently went to the BFI national Film Theater to see MFL and were disappointed by only seeing a 35mm print...slightly muddy..... I was under the impression the ACADEMY SCREEN ARHIVE had a decent 70mm print, but the BFI claimed it was already faded since your restoration in 1993!)

I hope one day Paramoun or whoevert will produce a decent HD Master as I am sure this would sell well on blu ray. A most informative update, thank you. Bruce Campbell

You've been misinformed. 1994 prints are not faded, and if they were running a 35 of the restoration, it should have been in no way "muddy." Sound like low amperage or a problem lamp house, unless it was a pre-1994 print.

RAH

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
points taken on board...

All I can add was when I was fortunate enough to see the 70mm restoration of MFL at the ABC Shaftsbury Avenue back in 1994 I do remember viewing an exemplary vibrant 70mm print- an absolute joy.

The print shown at the NFT did have the restoration credits at the end so I assume it was struck from the restored master around then. There were one or two splices where scenes were missing but the sound was tremendous.

BC

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Don't look for "My Fair Lady" any time soon As reported: CBS Films owning some of the rights but some of these elements will revert to the Lerner & Loewe estate later this year (2010) So Paramount may no longer hold the videio rights through CBS - unless a new deal is reached Plus, SONY is preparing a new film version with possible star Colin Firth

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Plus, SONY is preparing a new film version with possible star Colin Furth
What! Is this for real? Boy, talk about a film with a high bar of excellence to achieve to be considered a success.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
the last I heard, the remake of My Fair Lady will have Hugh Grant and Carey Mulligan

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Caps
the last I heard, the remake of My Fair Lady will have Hugh Grant and Carey Mulligan

That was true until Colin won the Oscar. I hope Grant doesn't do it, he is one actor I never liked and he hasn't a hit in years

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I thought Keira Knightley was supposed to be in the remake? If it speeds up a Blu-ray release, then they can do with that remake what they want. Just let them hurry up, I want the original on Blu-ray .

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Last week TCM showed it & on the end it said it was dist. by some small co. I never heard of. Why don't they remake something that turned out bad,like

Mame? Or one that has not been filmed! No matter how good this remake is it will not be liked. I saw MFL at the McArthur theatre in D.C. in 70mm but got

our money back as the lamp was too old.The manager said it was new. Anyway it was dark. We saw it at the Senator in balto.Md. when they got it. Great

showing as usual!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Remember when they remade "The King and I" - as a cartoon.

Remakes of classic films usually don't make of an impact

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks