Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

XLR and TRS for patch cords?

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Marshun



  • 3 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 26 2010

Posted January 18 2011 - 06:33 AM

I'm hooking up the other pair of speakers to my home theater and I noticed the signal is delivered to the speakers via XLR TRS jacks. I haven't seen these before or maybe I have since the use of 1/4" I have seen. Just didn't know the designations of XLR and TRS jacks. It appears that I must use the 1/4" instead of ordinary speaker wires. Can anyone shed a little more light regarding these?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr


  • 1,699 posts
  • Join Date: May 10 1999

Posted January 19 2011 - 10:18 AM

I'd be a little surprised if the unit didn't have a diagram on it somewhere to indicate where things go.  And chances are also very good that it doesn't actually do TRS, but T/S.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   DavidJ



  • 2,933 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 23 2001
  • Real Name:David

Posted January 19 2011 - 05:11 PM

Are you talking about a jack like this?


#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Marshun



  • 3 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 26 2010

Posted January 20 2011 - 06:20 AM

That's the one, DavidJ. Needless to say these are new to me. I'm thinking I need to find the right patch cord. Plus there seems to be no matching output from my Denon AVR-971 Receiver designed for just such. Maybe I can find an adaptor that'll work. This pair of JBLs has a Master and an Extention speaker. I'm guessing here but maybe these 2 speakers are capable of being balanced to each other as though they are like a single speaker (still stereo though) and hooked in line with other speaker sets? But that's not my query here. I have yet to hear a sound from either one (though I haven't gotten that far yet) of them. "TRS" seems to be "TRS" and not T/S. That would be funny though Michael

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover


  • 1,425 posts
  • Join Date: May 27 2001

Posted January 20 2011 - 12:47 PM

The jack that DavidJ posted is a combo XLR-1/4" jack. You can hook both types of connections into it. I'm not sure why your speaker would have such an input, though. If it'll accept a 1/4" TS connection (no ring connection), to wire it you'll simply need to purchase some mono TS plugs and connect the hot wire to the tip connection and the ground wire to the sleeve connection.  Most electronic stores and musical instrument stores should stock the 1/4" TS plugs.
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users