What's new

Episodes - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sort of enjoying the meta-ness of this show, "Episodes", which is about a British husband/wife writing team who had a hit show in Britain and are brought to the US to adapt it for American audiences. Matt LeBlanc plays a version of his normal self as being the lead actor in the US production of the show. The show basically takes the piss on such creative voids now afflicting American TV, as executives mine other countries for show ideas in the US nowadays.

While the comedy is quite dry, there are some good bits in the first couple of episodes, will stick with it for now.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I like the show, there are some really funny and odd moments. I think the agent woman is hillarious because she double talks through everything with the writers all the time having a smile on her face. I can just see people in Hollywood screwing up shows like they are trying to do in Episodes....."Making a show called pucks!" Or how the Exec never even seen the show but since it won awards he wants it in the States.

I liked how they had a serious moment with Matt LeBlanc when they were discussing the show at the party, but then they dumbed him back down a little with the turretts joke.

The scene when the Exec was talking about his wife going blind was pretty funny and when she was telling a story at the dinner table.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I couldn't find a thread on this...I have no idea why there isn't one. As much as I didn't expect to like it, I think it's the best new comedy this season, easily. I lost interest in 'Friends' after season 2, and never cared for Matt LeBlanc, but he is actually very funny. The entire cast is great (particularly John Pankow).

One thing I will say about the latest episode, I thought they unnecessarily went to a dark place having Beverly sleep with Matt. It took Matt from being a likable, somewhat misunderstood character to a complete backstabbing d-head.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/307986/episodes-season-1-thread

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Sorry...I swear I searched for it! I guess searching for threads with "Episodes" in a TV forum isn't very granular...

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I HATED what they did in the last episode, I hate everything about that situation and it pissed me off so much and the problem is they didn't even need to go there.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Jeremiah

I HATED what they did in the last episode, I hate everything about that situation and it pissed me off so much and the problem is they didn't even need to go there.

Yep, they really didn't.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I didn't expect it at all, I thought her and Matt were gonna bond somewhat and he would start to realize you can't put your fingers in people business and let the writers write; it seemed like that's where they were going and also that she would realize her husband has a crush on the actress but would never actually cheat.

Kind of a drag b/c I really don't give a sht regarding plots about adultery; I will just have to see how they spin this.

The episode before last I did LOL at the women excutive researching everything she could about Merc's wife's blindness problem hoping to find some cure so he could leave her and she can be with him. That was insanely hillarious.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Jeremiah

The episode before last I did LOL at the women excutive researching everything she could about Merc's wife's blindness problem hoping to find some cure so he could leave her and she can be with him. That was insanely hillarious.

Yeah, but not as funny as Merc not saying hi to his wife eating at the same restaurant. "Ah, what's the point, she can't see me. I'll see her tonight."

emmit33i

Auditioning
Real Name
rick michaels
I had really enjoyed the first 5 episodes of the show. Then episode 6 happened. I have never gotten angry at a tv show until that moment. I wondered if others watching it felt the same way. I went on facebook where all these people were talking about how funny the episode was. It was sickening. I tried to watch the final episode but found myself angry the whole episode. Why did they have to ruin a perfectly good show. I don't know how they could possibly have a season 2.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, fans of the show are wondering how they can turn this comedy back from being a tragedy and back into a comedy.

The writers spent a lot of time setting up the bromance between Matt and Sean, and then they used Sean's attraction to Morning (and it was pretty devastating to Beverly when she walks in on him furiously walking the dog) to create feelings of inadequacy in Beverly, who then chucks caution to the wind and acts impetuously on Matt's advances, creating an even bigger rift between her and Sean.

So, it's now a personal hell between the 3 principals for season 2 being forced to work together and put out a good TV show. I'm confident the writers can still bring the funny in this situation.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I didn't like the Matt/Beverly hookup either, but I thought they did a decent enough job making the big reveal at least a little bit funny. It was awkward and uncomfortable at first, but it got kind of funny when they went back to Sean & Beverly's house. And the timing of the phone call was great (despite the quickest test screening in the history of television).

But the bottom line is they really didn't need to go there in the first place.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But they built the season around getting to this point. That's what I was getting at with the recap.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Like everyone else, I was shocked at the decision to write in the hook up vbetween Matt and Beverly in Ep 6. I laughed more in Ep 7 than in all of the previous eps combined. I thought the finale was hilarious. It'll be interesting to see the direction they take next season, but season 1 as a self contained set was pretty damn funny.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
The Matt and Sean fight was pretty funny, when he had the cactus and was walking on his knees to hit Matt with it was hillarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks