-

Photo

WHV Press Release: Tracy and Hepburn: The Definitive Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 01:47 AM

WARNER HOME VIDEO AND TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES (TCM) PRESENT:

TRACY AND HEPBURN:

THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION

THE FIRST AND ONLY COMPLETE COLLECTION OF

TRACY AND HEPBURN FILMS DEBUTS ON DVD APRIL 12

Woman of the Year (1942) ▪ Keeper of the Flame (1942) ▪ Without Love (1945)

Sea of Grass (1947) ▪ State of the Union (1948) ▪ Adam's Rib (1949)

Pat and Mike (1952) ▪ Desk Set (1957) ▪ Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)

Burbank, Calif., January 17, 2011 – Just in time for Mother’s Day, Tracy and Hepburn: The Definitive Collection, the first and only complete anthology of films starring Hollywood's dream team, debuts on DVD April 12 from Warner Home Video. The collection includes all nine remastered favorites: Woman of the Year (1942), Keeper of the Flame (1942), Without Love (1945), Sea of Grass (1947), State of the Union(1948), Adam's Rib (1949), Pat and Mike (1952), Desk Set (1957), and Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (1967), plus a bonus disc featuring an intimate tribute to Spencer Tracy moderated by Katharine Hepburn. This is the first time Keeper of the Flame, directed by Oscar® winning director George Cukor (A Star is Born 1954, My Fair LadyA Double LifeAdam’s RibPhiladelphia Story), and Sea of Grass will be available on DVD. Orders are due March 8 (SRP $59.92). Keeper of the Flame and Sea of Grass will also be available as singles (SRP $19.97 each).Tracy & Hepburn: The Definitive Collection will also be available On Demand from cable and satellite providers. Individual film titles can also be purchased digitally through online retailers including Amazon On Demand and iTunes.

Katharine Hepburn holds the record for the most Best Actress Oscar® wins with four (from 12 nominations), and was ranked by AFI as the greatest female screen legend of all time (1999). In this collection, she was nominated for an Academy Award® for Woman of the Year (1943) and won Best Actress in a Leading Role for Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1968). Known for the range and diversity of characters he portrayed, Spencer Tracy tied with Laurence Olivier for the most Best Actor Academy Award® nominations. He is considered one of the finest American actors to ever grace the screen.

MARKETING SUPPORT

TCM will support the release of Tracy and Hepburn: The Definitive Collection with an on-air mention and product hold up by TCM host Robert Osborne, online banners and a dedicated splash page, dedicated newsletters, and an ad in the March issue of the TCM Now Playing guide.

ABOUT THE COLLECTION

The only complete collection of all nine films by on and off screen collaborators, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn, Tracy and Hepburn: The Definitive Collection includes some of their earliest work in black and white, Woman of the Year, to their last performance together inGuess Who’s Coming to Dinner, which wrapped shortly before Spencer Tracy’s death. Also included as a 10th bonus disc is “Spencer Tracy Legacy: A Tribute by Katharine Hepburn.” In Spencer Tracy Legacy: A Tribute by Katharine Hepburn (1986), Katharine Hepburn reflects on the life of her former co-star and best friend, Spencer Tracy, in a touching and insightful look at one of the great American actors. The 87 minute documentary won two Emmys for writing and directing in 1986.

The 10-disc set also includes two films never before released on DVD (Sea of Grass and Keeper of the Flame).

Special Features

Additional bonus features on select titles in the collection.

TRACY AND HEPBURN:

THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION

Street Date: April 12, 2011

Order Due Date: March 8, 2011

FERT / UPC: 1000184240 / 883929175420

SRP (10-disc set): $59.92

Rating: Not rated

Runtime: 979 minutes

KEEPER OF THE FLAME (1942)

(available in the collection and as a single)

SEA OF GRASS (1947)

(available in the collection and as a single)

FERT / UPC: 1000184254 / 883929175666

FERT / UPC: 1000184243 / 883929175550

SRP: $19.97

SRP: $19.97

Runtime: 100 minutes

Runtime: 123 minutes

Film Specs: B&W, Standard

Film Specs: B&W, Standard

Language: English Mono

Language: English Mono

Subtitles: English

Special Features: Bonus Short, Classic Cartoon, Theatrical Trailer

Subtitles: English

Special Features: Bonus Short, Classic Cartoon, Theatrical Trailer

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

“Academy Award(s)®” and “OscarÒ” are registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

About Warner Home Video 
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

About Turner Classic Movies

Turner Classic Movies is a Peabody Award-winning network that presents great films, uncut and commercial-free, from the largest film libraries in the world. Currently seen in more than 80 million homes, TCM features the insights of veteran primetime host Robert Osborne and weekend daytime host Ben Mankiewicz, plus interviews with a wide range of special guests. As the foremost authority in classic films, TCM offers critically acclaimed original documentaries and specials, along with regular programming events that include The Essentials, 31 Days of Oscarand Summer Under the Stars. TCM also stages special events and screenings, such as the upcoming TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood; produces a wide range of media about classic film, including books and DVDs; and hosts a wealth of materials at its Web site, www.tcm.com. TCM is part of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 19 jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 02:04 AM

This is a nice surprise! Great that they will be selling Keeper of the Flame and Sea of Grass separately! I thought for sure both would be Archive releases.

Hope Warner has one or two more surprises like this this year, and hope one of them has to do with Jean Harlow!

#3 of 19 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,752 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 17 2011 - 04:04 AM

I don't have any of these, so I'll spring for this.  nice to see Warners doing a proper boxset instead of an Archive release.

#4 of 19 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 774 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 04:14 AM

This is a pleasant surprise, particularly the fact that the new material will also be available individually.

#5 of 19 Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 09:26 AM

Nice to see one of these collections where the new titles are available individually. It shows a bit of respect for consumers.

Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#6 of 19 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 243 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jdee28 
Hope Warner has one or two more surprises like this this year, and hope one of them has to do with Jean Harlow!

Warner Archive posted today (1/17) on its Facebook page, in reference to the Harlow collection...

Indeed, it's still happening.... ...and work is ongoing.  It's real this time. We've already spent too much money for it not to be !  Stay tuned!! 

#7 of 19 Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 09:53 AM

Like Russell G, haven't got any of these and now I'm glad I didn't pick up the old Signature Coll. Therefore I'm going to buy the whole Definitive Coll. Posted Image

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#8 of 19 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,106 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 10:02 AM

I'd buy it on bluray but not on dvd.

#9 of 19 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Brent S,

You beat me to it! Btw, Warners response was in reference to a question I posted on their Facebook page. They did state about 3 months ago that they had something "very special planned for Harlows centennial."

One has to wonder how much money can they posssibly be spending for an SD only release? I truly hope what they have planned is released on Blu-ray as well (crossing fingers), though there is a

logical part of this which says "unlikely" since we are likely to see Flynn, Davis & Dean on Blu before Harlow. I guess we'll know soon enough.

God knows we fans have waited long enough.

More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#10 of 19 marcco00

marcco00

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted January 17 2011 - 04:13 PM

amen to that, it's been a long wait! 'Harlow' will be my must have set of 2011.

#11 of 19 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,529 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 12:13 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 19 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted January 18 2011 - 01:29 PM

I don't have ANY of these save Guess Who ('Cause it's a best pic nom) but I might just buy this set because I like both Tracy and Hepburn.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#13 of 19 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 05:18 PM

Its great that Warner leased the non MGM films from Fox (Desk Set). Sony(Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner) , and Universal (State of the Union). I assume the previously released films will have the same transfers and extras as before.

#14 of 19 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Garysb 

Its great that Warner leased the non MGM films from Fox (Desk Set). Sony(Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner) , and Universal (State of the Union). I assume the previously released films will have the same transfers and extras as before.

You know, I didn't even notice that! This set is so mine as soon as it touches down. I've yet to buy any of the Tracy/Hepburn films, so this set is PERFECT for me.

This also got me to thinking.......Perhaps WHV will do this for the Harlow set? Three Wise Girls (Sony), The Iron Man (Universal) & Goldie (Fox) could prove to be worthy additions if they do this. While Mike S. from Sony stated that Three Wise Girls would surface in a Sony pre-code set (this never happened), I'm certain the latter two will NEVER be released by their studios.

More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#15 of 19 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted January 18 2011 - 11:30 PM

I assume the previously released films will have the same transfers and extras as before.

I am curious about this as well. In the press release it says "The collection includes all nine remastered favorites" but that can be misleading.

#16 of 19 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 19 2011 - 01:15 AM

Very exciting!  I wish they would have loaned "Sea of Grass" to Fox for the Kazan set that was just released.  They reached a deal for "America, America", but apparently this would have interfered with their own plans.  I would have preferred to have all of my Kazan titles in one place vs. all of my Hebpurn/Tracy films.  That said, I will at the very minimum be purchasing "Sea of Grass", and possibly the whole set if it's priced properly and/or new transfers are being used.

#17 of 19 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 04 2011 - 10:48 AM

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the 2nd disc for "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner".  I just pulled all of my previous versions out and put them in my "To Sell" pile, but I think I'm going to hold on to that for the extra disc.  I hate having to hold on to two versions of a movie for this reason!! Posted Image

#18 of 19 DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 06:27 AM

I was curious about the packaging of this set.  I haven't been able to find any pictures of it online. Is it slim cases? Each film individually? If so, has any of the artwork changed for the older titles?

I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#19 of 19 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,555 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 06:45 AM

Any news on the transfers for Pat and Mike, Adam's Rib, and Woman of the Year?  The original signature collection has some rather old transfers along with the Turner logo.  They were okay, but below Warner Bros recent standard for excellence.