What's new

USB Turntable question? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

I've been thinking about buying a USB turntable from Best Buy to transfer about 10 records and 40 45's to itunes format, so I can play them on my ipod classic. But for those of you audiophiles out there, who know how good sound quality is,

Just how good will the sound quality be?

I've seen mixed reviews on various sites, and I would love to hear more about it from those who use such equipment.

James

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you have a receiver with a PHONO input and a computer, you can record to your computer with a "USB" turntable. Check your local craigslist. http://www.ehow.com/how_2182292_transfer-vinyl-record-albums-cd.html

Most USB turntables are complete crap that will destroy your records and sound bad. There are a few exceptions. The Audio Technica LP120USB is one such exception. http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-LP120-USB-Turntable . The Pro-ject Debut III USB is another one: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutphusb .

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Actually, if you have a regular turntable and receiver with a phono input, you don't have to bother with USB at all. All you need is a Y-Cord that goes from 2 RCA male plugs to one female miniplug. Then get a male stereo-mini to male stereo-mini patch cord (6 feet should be more than enough unless your computer is a L-O-N-G way from the receiver). Plug one end of the cord into that Y-cord and the other to the "line in" on your sound card. The Y-cord's two male RCA plugs go into the tape out (i.e. record, not play) on your receiver.

After that, it's up to your software (personally, I use CFB Software's "LP Recorder" -- download from cfbsoftware.com -- but there are others). That way you can use a good turntable. Yes, I agree that most USB turntables are one small step above junk.

You can get all the cords at your neighborhood Radio Shack or similar electronics store. They're pretty cheap and won't cost near as much as a USB turntable -- even if you include LP Recorder software.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've used the audio-technica one. It's very good. Most of what I had I really wanted to convert and save all on 78.. a few vinyl rarities, but I really wanted to save all my 78s that I had collected, and it was the only one that would do it.. and it does a great job.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Didn't know Audio-Technica made one. The fact that it plays 78s means it's a high-end model. My Dual CS5000 also plays them. I've only seen the 78 speed on the good stuff.

If you have a good turntable, use that with tape out, cords and line in. You'll get better sound with less damage to your records. As a bonus, you'll pay less than for a junky USB turntable from a big box store.

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Philip Hamm said:
Most USB turntables are complete crap that will destroy your records and sound bad. There are a few exceptions. The Audio Technica LP120USB is one such exception. http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-LP120-USB-Turntable . The Pro-ject Debut III USB is another one: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutphusb .
My vote goes to the Project TT. Looks like their non-USB entry version w/ a nice arm and cartridge too.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
My friend uses an Ion usb turntable and loves it. It sounds good to me also. He has it hooked to the phono inputs of his Denon receiver for everyday playing, and has used the usb in the past, to connect to the computer. It did very well. Besides, you're worried about quality going to an mp3 player? mp3 never has been what you'd call quality to start with. Good luck with whatever you decide on.......

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The quality of mp3 wasn't the point about crappy turntables; it was the damage a crappy turntable and stylus do to the records. That's why it's better to use a good turntable hooked up to a decent receiver/amplifier and bring in the music via the "line in" port on your sound card. You get a better result without damaging the LP, 45 or 78. By the way, I agree about the quality of mp3. That's why I save everything as wav format. I convert them to mp3 for the player in the car where quality is much less of a concern, but the originals I keep and edit are wav.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
JamesSmith said:
But for those of you audiophiles out there, who know how good sound quality is,
He also seemed to be worried about the sound quality. My post was also saying that the Ion turntable isn't as crappy as you might think. My friend's is really very nice. Especially for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread