-

Photo
- - - - -

Almost Famous now available on Blu-Ray at Best Buy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 11:46 PM

Just noticed that this - one of my favorite films - is available on BD, apparently exclusively, at Best Buy.  I have the UK version and would love to see a comparison from anyone who ultimately has both.  It's listed on Blu-Ray.com as the Bootleg Edition, which is good news.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 04:05 AM

Was interested until I saw the price tag of $34.99. I think this will have to wait for me until it is less exclusive. It has a supposed list price of $44.99. Seems a bit steep for a catalog title.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 05:01 AM

Agreed.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 15 2011 - 05:07 AM

If you're talking about this.

http://www.bestbuy.c...amous&lp=2&cp=1

that has been available for years.

If you're talking about this.

http://www.slashfilm...-exclusive-buy/

Then yep, it's coming but not until the 30th of this month so says the article.

But there is no current link on Best BUy for this version yet that i have seen.

So by "now" have you seen it on a shelf at a best buy store?

facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 07:02 AM

The bootleg cut is already available on Blu-ray, albeit as an import.  I wish they'd release the original version, which is how I first saw and enjoyed the film.  Didn't the Bootleg Cut DVD actually include both versions?  (I never owned it and am not sure.)

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 09:18 AM

Blu-ray.com indicated it was coming in 2 weeks and I saw the link you cited to the version you say has been available for years (never saw it myself).  So I guess it's out on 1/30.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 10:53 AM

That's the international version that best buy has linked and it has never been in a U.S. store. I wouldn't be surprised if that link changed to the new version.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 16 2011 - 07:02 AM

Nice. I may wait for the exclusivity to end first, though. If Anchorman is any indication, that'll be about 6 months.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted January 17 2011 - 06:24 AM

Did Anchorman ever come out of exclusivity?  I checked Amazon and you still can't order it directly from them.

I don't think lack of theatrical cut would be a deal breaker, especially if "Untitled" is the preferred cut.  As far as I'm concerned, a title is not released until it is pulled out of exclusivity deals, but here's hoping that both cuts will be available on whatever package of Almost Famous that becomes broadly available.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by AaronMK 

Did Anchorman ever come out of exclusivity?  I checked Amazon and you still can't order it directly from them.

March 15th

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5579

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 17 2011 - 09:07 AM

I don't think lack of theatrical cut would be a deal breaker, especially if "Untitled" is the preferred cut.  As far as I'm concerned, a title is not released until it is pulled out of exclusivity deals, but here's hoping that both cuts will be available on whatever package of Almost Famous that becomes broadly available.

Here you go.

http://www.amazon.co...anandscathed-20

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 09:49 AM

As far as I'm concerned, a title is not released until it is pulled out of exclusivity deals, but here's hoping that both cuts will be available on whatever package of Almost Famous that becomes broadly available.

Agreed.  I want this on BD & will buy it if both are on it.  I can't understand why they wouldn't be if they released them both on DVD stateside and internationally on BD.  

The mystery & lack of details surrounding this release is pretty funny.  If Best Buy is interested in exclusives, they should do a better job of informing the BD collector what they are releasing.  

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,703 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 10:37 AM

I have this scheduled to review. Only the extended version of the film will be on this release (162 min runtime) - and I am not sure how long the Best Buy exclusivity will last for. Should have the film reviewed sometime in the coming week.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts

Posted January 17 2011 - 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Quote:

Here you go.

Yeah, March 15th.

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 03:17 AM

I'm just hoping Almost Famous will be like Anchorman was, with "Unrated" slapped on the front, but the back of the case stating that there were two versions of the film.  I like both versions,but I'd like to have the theatrical as well.  If the price is right, I'll sell my old bootleg dvd and get both.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   robbbb1138

robbbb1138

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 03:43 AM

This kind of sucks.  It's one of my favorite movies from the past decade or so (one of my favorite coming of age stories and a great movie about what it means to be a fan of something), but I'm probably going to wait until the theatrical version's available too.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts

Posted January 19 2011 - 05:01 AM

Still not available now, but it is up for presale.

Almost Famous $19.99

facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,862 posts

Posted January 26 2011 - 05:37 AM

If the review at blu-ray.com is any indication, this version doesn't seem any better than the UK import (other than inclusion of most/all? of the old extras in SD quality plus the IMO better cover art).

Originally Posted by cafink 
The bootleg cut is already available on Blu-ray, albeit as an import.  I wish they'd release the original version, which is how I first saw and enjoyed the film.  Didn't the Bootleg Cut DVD actually include both versions?  (I never owned it and am not sure.)

That DVD edition included both cuts -- and I like both for different reasons.  At this point, I plan on just sticking w/ my UK import BD + the old Bootleg Cut DVD and maybe just do a color print of the new cover art to use on my UK BD case.

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 

Quote:

Here you go.

But will that version include the same extras + both cuts, etc. as the BB exclusive Rich Mahogany Edition?  I seem to recall the PR info suggested it'll be a relatively barebones release.  I noticed though that the UK version seems to be the Rich Mahogany Edition, which is available at Amazon UK.

BTW, Mike Frezon mentioned today in the WRU thread that the Almost Famous BD might get priced down to $14.99 at BB next week.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,146 posts

Posted January 26 2011 - 10:02 AM

It was posted on another board that this, Long Kiss Goodnight and Heavy Meatal will be $14.99 at best buy next week.

I'll get all three, love them all.

btw the Bootleg dvd does have both versions on 2 separate discs and includes a cd of music

from the fictional band in the movie, no cd on the new blu ray.

facebook.com/whotony

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 04:54 PM

Okay at this point, what version on BluRay would compare best to my 2 disc DVD Bootleg/Theatrical set with extras? The theatrical disc in my set came with a hairline crack in the hole (no jokes) that sometimes made it hard to play.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow