-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: KES (Blu-Ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,288 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 11:30 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 10:21 AM

I loved this film when I was taken to see in as a kid.  It astounded me that it seemed so - forgotten that only a poor quality, non-anamorphic DVD finally limped into being in the UK.

When I heard that Criterion might be doing this, I was thrilled.  I will have to buy this straightaway on release.

... and  "Cathy Come Home" as an extra!  This is a wonderful film in its own right.  I wonder if it will actually be an HD transfer.  If it is, this set is an embarrassment of riches!

#3 of 7 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted January 16 2011 - 01:32 AM

This is splendid news.  Kes was a firm favourite with me in my younger years (and still is) and I now work in a school less then 8 miles from the one where this was shot, with a lot of our pupils the same background.

Cathy Come Home in HD?  I'm not sure whether it was shot on 16mm or PAL video.  Still, a smashing film in its own right, let alone as an 'extra'.

Well done Criterion.

Steve W

ps. If there are no subtitles I'll be happy to translate.  If you struggled with The Red Riding Trilogy this one might as well be in Chinese.

SW

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#4 of 7 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,436 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 16 2011 - 01:43 AM

"Oo are you today, sir? Liverpool?"
"Don't you know your club colours? - Manchester United this."
"Are you playing Denis Law, striker?"
"No. Charlton today, lad. All over the field. Too cold for striker."
"Charlton's not as quick ont' turn as Law, is ee?"
"You tryin' to tell me about football?"
"No. l..."
"You trying to tell ME? Anyway. Denis Law's in the wash this week..."

Cathy Come Home I'm pretty certain was 16mm; if it's not in HD I'll be highly surprised.

EDIT; ...with VT inserts; we might be looking at SD after all.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5 of 7 Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted January 16 2011 - 03:43 AM

In the UK, for the original cinema release, there was a choice of original English or an American soundtrack.  What a choice!

I wonder which they will use for the Blu Ray.

#6 of 7 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,436 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 17 2011 - 10:03 AM

Kes was dubbed for the American market but not for home consumption surely? I saw it on release and don't recall there ever being anything other than the original soundtrack being on offer; there was simply no need,

Criterion will not use the dubbed track; you can bet on that.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 7 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,037 posts

Posted January 20 2011 - 01:59 AM

Cathy Come Home was shot at 25fps like most British 16mm productions so getting it into 1080p might be a little tricky. That said the BFI's dvd was sourced from film so I guess the inserts were the titles for The Wednesday Play.