Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Blowout (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 11:22 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted January 15 2011 - 04:17 AM

That is just unbelievably awesome!  However, while I think the cover design is interesting, I'm a big fan of the one-sheet and would have preferred that instead (and kept the new design for what I'm sure will be another elegant, informative booklet).

Can't wait for this!

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 15 2011 - 05:12 AM

One of my favorite 80's films. I would have liked to see something about the locations where the film was shot.

The Old Wanamaker Building and Fairmount Park locations and just about the entire film was Filmed in and around Philly.

Any deleted scenes, I know there is more then what is on the screen as at least one former local radio host was in the movie and his scene as shown was about 2 seconds, cut very short.

facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 15 2011 - 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Felix Martinez 

...I'm a big fan of the one-sheet...

I had that hanging on the wall of my apartment in college.

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 12:47 PM

I'm really looking forward to this...an excellent film and one I haven't watched in at least 15 years.  I'm pleasantly surprised that it's getting the Criterion treatment.Posted Image

Recently watched- Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 15 2011 - 03:35 PM

Good call for MGM to licence this to Criterion. One of my favourite DePalmas.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 05:39 PM

This MGM Criterion collaboration is proving quite fruitful, and one can only wonder what may come next?

I've heard some rumblings about a release of Heaven's Gate.  I'd love to see a nice release of both the director's cut and the theatrical cut (which has never seen a home video release in the U.S.).

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 11:51 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the "More!" might mean some input from De Palma fan Quentin Tarantino (who cast John Travolta in Pulp Fiction based largely on the strength of his performance in this film). Hopefully a full-length commentary (he's not shy about doing commentaries on other people's films), but at least an interview/appreciation.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 12:17 AM

Good lord, that cover art sucks!  Posted Image

Anyway, minor issue.  Great film though and I'm excited to upgrade it to Blu-ray.  A day one purchase at the next B&N 50% off Criterion sale.  Posted Image

Death before Streaming!

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted January 18 2011 - 08:39 AM

I think the cover art is really awesome. I was aware the title was coming from a previous clue post in a past newsletter. I was curious what type of artwork would be used, I figured the original style poster art was out of the running, but the final result is really nice.

Great Image never expected it. Wasn't sure about the font layout at first but the more you look at it the more it seems perfect.

Maybe Criterion also has their hands on Dressed to Kill for a future release?

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 18 2011 - 08:54 AM

I like the cover image but I don't think it's all that indicative of the movie as a whole. I guess that's what cool about Criterion though, they don't have to catch the average person's eye at Wal Mart or Best Buy so they can just choose an interesting picture for the cover.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Brisby

Brisby

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger 

Maybe Criterion also has their hands on Dressed to Kill for a future release?

I'd love to see Criterion release Dressed To Kill on Blu-Ray, as the decade-old MGM DVD has a terrible transfer. Posted Image

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 29 2011 - 04:46 PM

Criterion has updated the Special Features and the "More!" from the press release really is worth the "!":

- Interview with star John Travolta from a 1982 French television news broadcast
- Murder à la Mod, De Palma’s 1967 feature film

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 04:47 AM

Bah, forget my last post as Criterion's Blow Out page no longer lists those two extras.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 05:28 AM

why on earth do we need this before many MGM UA Films with no 16x9 transfers,this is a good film at best,One just has to look at MGM Hd for a couple of Years   to see some

of what they got

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 08:35 AM

On their Facebook page, Criterion responded to a question about the appearance and disappearance of Murder à la Mod:
"That was a mistake on our end. That particular supplement isn't 100% confirmed, so it had to be taken down. We'll keep you in the loop; we should know within a few weeks."

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted February 13 2011 - 05:39 AM

Are you kidding?!  I love this cover.  The original one-sheet was decent, but I'm not sorry to see it replaced by the Criterion image, which is quite striking and has a great three-dimensional quality.  My favorite parts of this film involve its attention to the minutia of film production and post-production and this image emphasizes that while also addressing the inner turmoil of Travolta's character.

Originally Posted by Jim_K 

Good lord, that cover art sucks!  Posted Image

Anyway, minor issue.  Great film though and I'm excited to upgrade it to Blu-ray.  A day one purchase at the next B&N 50% off Criterion sale.  Posted Image

#18 of 21 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 13 2011 - 07:12 AM

I love it too, and I'm usually a proponent of original artwork.  But for the reasons already stated, this one is fascinating and compelling.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 13 2011 - 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg 

Are you kidding?!  I love this cover.  The original one-sheet was decent, but I'm not sorry to see it replaced by the Criterion image, which is quite striking and has a great three-dimensional quality.  My favorite parts of this film involve its attention to the minutia of film production and post-production and this image emphasizes that while also addressing the inner turmoil of Travolta's character.

No I'm not kidding.  After looking again at that horrendous monstrosity my opinion hasn't changed.  Deal with it.

Death before Streaming!

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 14 2011 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg 

No I'm not kidding.  After looking again at that horrendous monstrosity my opinion hasn't changed.  Deal with it.

"Deal With It"? Jeez kinda grumpy there.
facebook.com/whotony