Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

BLOW OUT (The Criterion Collection) Comes To DVD!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 14 2011 - 11:49 AM

FANGORIA: The Criterion Collection announced a very exciting release today, their DVD and Blu of one of De Palma’s best, BLOW OUT. Head below for the neat cover art and full details.

While not all of his output is fantastic, it’s hard to imagine someone not loving at least a couple of De Palma films. 1981’s BLOW OUT is hitting Criterion April 26. If you’ve never seen it, this will no doubt be a fantastic opportunity.

Here’s the Criterion synopsis and DVDetails: “In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances as Jack, a movie sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination. He enlists the help of Sally (Nancy Allen), a possible eyewitness to the crime who may be in danger herself, to uncover the truth. With its jolting stylistic flourishes, intricate plot, profoundly felt characterizations, and gritty evocation of early-1980s Philadelphia, BLOW OUT is an American paranoia thriller unlike any other, as well as a devilish reflection on the act of moviemaking.”

-New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director Brian De Palma (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

-New hour-long interview with De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach

-New interview with star Nancy Allen

-Cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within the film

-Select on-set photos from photographer Louis Goldman

-Original theatrical trailer

-A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and Pauline Kael’s original New Yorker review

I look forward to its future placement next to SISTERS on my shelf. You can find out more about the release and preorder it right here.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 08:26 AM

No mention if it will be the R-rated or unrated version. Hmmm...

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 04:39 PM

You're thinking of DRESSED TO KILL, which has only ever been available unrated on DVD as I recall. There's only one version of BLOW OUT.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted January 16 2011 - 04:27 AM

Ya, I don't think BLOW OUT ever had to be be trimmed to get an R so there is only that one version.

BTW, the dvd of DRESSED TO KILL gives you the option to watch either the R or the Unrated version.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted January 16 2011 - 07:31 AM

Ah, thanks for the clarification, JeffMc.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted January 16 2011 - 02:32 PM

When BLOW OUT was released on widescreen LD in 1993 as R rated, I was told it actually had some footage that was trimmed back to secure an R rating. The masterbation at the beginning and a bit of blood during one of the murders was cut down for the R. There was a bit more footage than on my old pan/scan VHS release from the '80s that I was used to during these scenes. The difference was probably 10 seconds or less, but still...

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted May 06 2011 - 08:59 AM

Blow Out (1981) is currently $18.99 on Amazon.com (both the DVD and Blu-ray releases).