What's new

BLOW OUT (The Criterion Collection) Comes To DVD! (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
FANGORIA: The Criterion Collection announced a very exciting release today, their DVD and Blu of one of De Palma’s best, BLOW OUT. Head below for the neat cover art and full details.

While not all of his output is fantastic, it’s hard to imagine someone not loving at least a couple of De Palma films. 1981’s BLOW OUT is hitting Criterion April 26. If you’ve never seen it, this will no doubt be a fantastic opportunity.

Here’s the Criterion synopsis and DVDetails: “In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances as Jack, a movie sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination. He enlists the help of Sally (Nancy Allen), a possible eyewitness to the crime who may be in danger herself, to uncover the truth. With its jolting stylistic flourishes, intricate plot, profoundly felt characterizations, and gritty evocation of early-1980s Philadelphia, BLOW OUT is an American paranoia thriller unlike any other, as well as a devilish reflection on the act of moviemaking.”

-New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director Brian De Palma (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

-New hour-long interview with De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach

-New interview with star Nancy Allen

-Cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within the film

-Select on-set photos from photographer Louis Goldman

-Original theatrical trailer

-A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and Pauline Kael’s original New Yorker review

I look forward to its future placement next to SISTERS on my shelf. You can find out more about the release and preorder it right [COLOR= #cc0000]here[/COLOR].

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
You're thinking of DRESSED TO KILL, which has only ever been available unrated on DVD as I recall. There's only one version of BLOW OUT.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Ya, I don't think BLOW OUT ever had to be be trimmed to get an R so there is only that one version.

BTW, the dvd of DRESSED TO KILL gives you the option to watch either the R or the Unrated version.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
When BLOW OUT was released on widescreen LD in 1993 as R rated, I was told it actually had some footage that was trimmed back to secure an R rating. The masterbation at the beginning and a bit of blood during one of the murders was cut down for the R. There was a bit more footage than on my old pan/scan VHS release from the '80s that I was used to during these scenes. The difference was probably 10 seconds or less, but still...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Blow Out (1981) is currently $18.99 on Amazon.com (both the DVD and Blu-ray releases).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks