Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Image Press Release: Against All Odds, Awakenings, Random Hearts, Short Circuit II (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,179 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 04:54 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,630 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 12:10 PM

Short Circuit 2 is definitely a day one purchase for me.

all-banner.jpg

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 08:29 PM

Great, so Image releasing Sony catalogue titles first and foremost means they're being stripped of all previously available special features.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted January 20 2011 - 07:55 PM

None of these movies interests me but I am interested in what else Image Entertainment releases from the Sony catalogue. I wonder how long it'll be for the next annpuncement.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jonathan Peterson

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted April 05 2011 - 08:51 AM

Anyone pick up Against All Odds? This is a movie I have wanted to upgrade but haven't seen any reviews. I know Universal releases can be iffy with their blu transfers.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,936 posts

Posted April 05 2011 - 08:57 AM

Haven't screened my copy of Against All Odds on Blu-ray as of yet.  It was a blind buy for me, based on my enjoyment of the film.  DVD Beaver has a revew up and it sounds pretty nice for a catalog title of its vintage:

http://www.dvdbeaver...dds_blu-ray.htm

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,831 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 06 2011 - 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Walter Kittel 

Haven't screened my copy of Against All Odds on Blu-ray as of yet.  It was a blind buy for me, based on my enjoyment of the film.  DVD Beaver has a revew up and it sounds pretty nice for a catalog title of its vintage:

http://www.dvdbeaver...dds_blu-ray.htm

- Walter.

Walter,

Let us know what you think of it.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,936 posts

Posted April 07 2011 - 01:00 AM

Robert,  with any luck I'll be screening this on Friday or Saturday, and I'll post my impressions. - Walter.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,831 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 07 2011 - 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Walter Kittel 

Robert,  with any luck I'll be screening this on Friday or Saturday, and I'll post my impressions.

- Walter.

Thanks as I'm thinking of buying this BR title.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,936 posts

Posted April 08 2011 - 03:34 PM

I viewed Against All Odds on Blu-Ray earlier this evening and here are my thoughts.

The short version is that I am for the most part in agreement with the review I linked to over at DVD Beaver.

The image quality is, for the most part, very strong, with good clarity and fine color reproduction.  The opening credits are probably the weakest portion of the video on this disc; but once the film exits the credits and returns to Los Angeles the clarity jumps up (a little bit).  There are a few soft sequences in the film, but the majority of the film looks very nice with good detail and no evidence of haloing.   A few of the night scenes exhibit moderate grain, with the daylight scenes being the strongest of the film.  The bright primary colors are reproduced to fine effect, the blue of James Wood's sweater contrasted against his white trousers in his character's first scene, the red of Terry's Porsche, the bottle glass green of the waters at Cozumel, the red of Ward's swimsuit, etc.

In terms of audio, I would once again follow the lead of the review at DVD Beaver and say that the soundtrack, particularly the guitar work is especially atmospheric and does a nice job of setting the tone of the sequences in Mexico.

It was really fun to revisit this title and see the stars of this film at a much younger time in their careers ( Woods, Bridges and Ward. ).   The sequences at the club are the only thing that really date the film and cry '80s, otherwise the story retains its strength.  This disc is currently $13.99 at Amazon, so I would not hesitate to order this if one has any interest in the film or seeing its cast at this point in their respective careers.  Out of the Past, the film upon which this is based is a noir classic and outpaces this film; but Against All Odds certainly has its charms and is enjoyable in and of itself.

- Walter.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,831 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 08 2011 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Walter as I'll order it now. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,936 posts

Posted April 08 2011 - 07:19 PM

You're welcome, Robert.  I'm sure you will enjoy the Blu-Ray release.  Being able to see older favorites in nice High Definition releases really has reinvigorated HT for me; and while there are certainly higher profile releases - this particular release and film was very enjoyable to re-experience. - Walter.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted April 12 2011 - 07:17 AM

Against All Odds is a guilty pleasure for me. Not one of the most literate or well thought out scripts, but made very well regardless. The characters are interesting, the LA and Mexico locations are beautiful to look at, and the love story and chemistry between a ripped Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward is believable. The director, Taylor Hackford had just come off a huge hit with An Officer and a Gentleman and was riding high with success. I have the DVD version from years ago and the commentary with Jeff Bridges and James Woods is highly entertaining. For whatever reason, this movie has stuck in my mind since I saw it in the theater in the 80s.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 11:25 AM

Watched "Awakenings" last night.  I had seen the film in a theater back in the winter of 1990 and the print was grainy and soft - not the prettiest picture and this was when it first opened. I wasn't expecting much from the blu-ray but I was surprised to see how nice it looked. This isn't demonstration quality - the source material will never be demonstration, but it very good, even better than I remembered from the theater. Image has done a very good job The source material looks great when it is sharp, but sharpness changes from shot to shot, much of the film was shot with a soft focus.  This was a simple dotor/paitent story so there are no special effects or epic scenes with beautiful scenery. The acting of course could not have been better - Robert DeNrio, Robin Willams (dramatic not comic where I always feel he's better) plus a great supporting cast.  Penny Marshall directed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users