What's new

East Lynne and The White Parade (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
On the advice from a member of this forum, I went to UCLA to view East Lynne and The White Parade.

The White Parade is indeed an extremely rare film in that the only surviving print resides at the UCLA archive. I watched this film, and, to say the least, it is in very bad shape (this is why it has never been released on home video.) The print is fuzy and almost bleached out, yet still watchable. Near the end of the film, it inexplicably cuts to an image saying "disc 7." Fast forward a little and we continue the film to the end.

Several frames are cut and spliced together, and some frames "jump," where we see two different frames on screen at once.

I don't think UCLA has restored it, but it is watchable.

And as for East Lynne, the print was recently restored, but on three frames, inexplicably, there is an "X" drawn across the frame. One frame has a "Crosshairs"
drawn on it, while several others have ink lines.

There is technology that looks at a frame before and after to "clean" the middle frame. So, I think they should use this on East Lynne to fix these ink lines. (who would do that to a film???

So, I don't think these two will be available any time soon! (some one just told me that East Lynne is available on DVD, minus 12 min (the last reel.) I don't know about this.

Fox could have included East Lynne in their set of films, hell they put Cavalcade inexplicably in their (to sell more sets?)

maybe they will put out a set of old "Fox" films:

State Fair, Cavalcade and East Lynne ?

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
"Crosshairs" eh? Someone must have let Sarah Palin into the projection booth!!

Originally Posted by battlebeast
On the advice from a member of this forum, I went to UCLA to view East Lynne and The White Parade.

The White Parade is indeed an extremely rare film in that the only surviving print resides at the UCLA archive. I watched this film, and, to say the least, it is in very bad shape (this is why it has never been released on home video.) The print is fuzy and almost bleached out, yet still watchable. Near the end of the film, it inexplicably cuts to an image saying "disc 7." Fast forward a little and we continue the film to the end.

Several frames are cut and spliced together, and some frames "jump," where we see two different frames on screen at once.

And as for East Lynne, the print was recently restored, but on three frames, inexplicably, there is an "X" drawn across the frame. One frame has a "Crosshairs"

There is technology that looks at a frame before and after to "clean" the middle frame. So, I think they should use this on East Lynne to fix these ink lines. (who would do that to a film???

So, I don't think these two will be available any time soon! (some one just told me that East Lynne is available on DVD, minus 12 min (the last reel.) I don't know about this.

Fox could have included East Lynne in their set of films, hell they put Cavalcade inexplicably in their (to sell more sets?)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's too bad The White Parade is in such bad shape.

With East Lynne, it's too bad Fox wasn't able to sneak it into one of their speciality sets, back when they were doing speciality sets. This film along with Cavalcade were directed by the same director, Frank Lloyd. They could have thrown in other films made by him, like Berkeley Square, Hoop-La, Servants' Entrance, A Passport to Hell, or Under Two Flags and make it a really rare set. Maybe some day Fox will enter into a partnership with TCM and do more rare sets, like Universal is doing, or start up their own MOD program. Hope these films get consideration when they do.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Yes, it is too bad about White Parade, but with a little help, It could be a lot better.

Yah, why don't they make up sets like you suggested? Frank Lloyd was a great director, he should be acknowledged.

Also, I was thinking, why don't someone make sets of all the Best Pic noms from one year? License them and put the sets out by year? I would buy those sets in a heartbeat! Save money buying them as singles... They could have jsut the films, but you know, bonus features would be nice... they could do such a good job on these sets... important films withering away in the archives and such...

Originally Posted by jdee28
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's too bad The White Parade is in such bad shape.

Roger Mazerolle

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger Mazerolle
It's funny that you should mention these two films and I'll tell you why. I am trying to collect ALL the movies to be nominated for BEST PICTURE at the Academy Awards and I am stuck. I am looking for 4 films (actually I just found "The Love Parade" for sale as part of a movie set on Ebay). The other 3 are "The Patriot", "The White Parade" and "East Lynne". I just read your comments and its like someone just put a stake thru my heart. I guess that I shouldn't be looking for 2 of these films since there is little to no chance that they will EVER be released on DVD. But, thank you for the info because it will save me tons of time trying to find them anywhere for sale.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Yes, The Patriot Is lost, however, you can see it's trailer on "Treasures of American Cinema" Voi. 3. It's about 3 1/2 minute trailer, so you get to see a bit of the film, at least...

Emmaking

Auditioning
Real Name
Emmaking
battlebeast said:

Fox could have included East Lynne in their set of films, hell they put Cavalcade inexplicably in their (to sell more sets?)
Nous vous remercions de l'article
---------------------------------------------------------------
diagnostic outil pour voiture|Launch X431 Diagun|Scanner OBD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks