-

Jump to content



Photo

East Lynne and The White Parade


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 battlebeast

battlebeast

    Supporting Actor

  • 712 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 10 2010
  • Real Name:Warren
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted January 12 2011 - 02:57 PM

On the advice from a member of this forum, I went to UCLA to view East Lynne and The White Parade.


The White Parade is indeed an extremely rare film in that the only surviving print resides at the UCLA archive. I watched this film, and, to say the least, it is in very bad shape (this is why it has never been released on home video.) The print is fuzy and almost bleached out, yet still watchable. Near the end of the film, it inexplicably cuts to an image saying "disc 7." Fast forward a little and we continue the film to the end.


Several frames are cut and spliced together, and some frames "jump," where we see two different frames on screen at once.


I don't think UCLA has restored it, but it is watchable.


And as for East Lynne, the print was recently restored, but on three frames, inexplicably, there is an "X" drawn across the frame. One frame has a "Crosshairs"

drawn on it, while several others have ink lines. 


There is technology that looks at a frame before and after to "clean" the middle frame. So, I think they should use this on East Lynne to fix these ink lines. (who would do that to a film???

 

So, I don't think these two will be available any time soon! (some one just told me that East Lynne is available on DVD, minus 12 min (the last reel.) I don't know about this.

 

Fox could have included East Lynne in their set of films, hell they put Cavalcade inexplicably in their (to sell more sets?)


maybe they will put out a set of old "Fox" films:


State Fair, Cavalcade and East Lynne ?


I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#2 of 10 ajabrams

ajabrams

    Second Unit

  • 258 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 15 2009

Posted January 12 2011 - 04:21 PM

"Crosshairs" eh? Someone must have let Sarah Palin into the projection booth!!

Originally Posted by battlebeast 

On the advice from a member of this forum, I went to UCLA to view East Lynne and The White Parade.


The White Parade is indeed an extremely rare film in that the only surviving print resides at the UCLA archive. I watched this film, and, to say the least, it is in very bad shape (this is why it has never been released on home video.) The print is fuzy and almost bleached out, yet still watchable. Near the end of the film, it inexplicably cuts to an image saying "disc 7." Fast forward a little and we continue the film to the end.


Several frames are cut and spliced together, and some frames "jump," where we see two different frames on screen at once.


I don't think UCLA has restored it, but it is watchable.


And as for East Lynne, the print was recently restored, but on three frames, inexplicably, there is an "X" drawn across the frame. One frame has a "Crosshairs"

drawn on it, while several others have ink lines. 


There is technology that looks at a frame before and after to "clean" the middle frame. So, I think they should use this on East Lynne to fix these ink lines. (who would do that to a film???

 

So, I don't think these two will be available any time soon! (some one just told me that East Lynne is available on DVD, minus 12 min (the last reel.) I don't know about this.

 

Fox could have included East Lynne in their set of films, hell they put Cavalcade inexplicably in their (to sell more sets?)


maybe they will put out a set of old "Fox" films:


State Fair, Cavalcade and East Lynne ?





#3 of 10 jdee28

jdee28

    Screenwriter

  • 1,002 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 14 2006

Posted January 13 2011 - 05:19 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's too bad The White Parade is in such bad shape.


With East Lynne, it's too bad Fox wasn't able to sneak it into one of their speciality sets, back when they were doing speciality sets. This film along with Cavalcade were directed by the same director, Frank Lloyd.  They could have thrown in other films made by him, like Berkeley Square, Hoop-La, Servants' Entrance, A Passport to Hell, or Under Two Flags and make it a really rare set. Maybe some day Fox will enter into a partnership with TCM and do more rare sets, like Universal is doing, or start up their own MOD program. Hope these films get consideration when they do.


#4 of 10 battlebeast

battlebeast

    Supporting Actor

  • 712 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 10 2010
  • Real Name:Warren
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted January 13 2011 - 05:26 AM


HEY-O!

Originally Posted by ajabrams 

"Crosshairs" eh? Someone must have let Sarah Palin into the projection booth!!


I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#5 of 10 battlebeast

battlebeast

    Supporting Actor

  • 712 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 10 2010
  • Real Name:Warren
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted January 13 2011 - 05:31 AM

Yes, it is too bad about White Parade, but with a little help, It could be a lot better.


Yah, why don't they make up sets like you suggested? Frank Lloyd was a great director, he should be acknowledged.


Also, I was thinking, why don't someone make sets of all the Best Pic noms from one year? License them and put the sets out by year? I would buy those sets in a heartbeat! Save money buying them as singles... They could have jsut the films, but you know, bonus features would be nice... they could do such a good job on these sets... important films withering away in the archives and such...


Originally Posted by jdee28 

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's too bad The White Parade is in such bad shape.



I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#6 of 10 battlebeast

battlebeast

    Supporting Actor

  • 712 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 10 2010
  • Real Name:Warren
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted January 15 2011 - 04:29 PM

I don't knowIf I can post links, but I have reviewed both films, and included some images from each film, if you care to see them.


www.oscarmovs.com/eastlynne.html


www.oscarmovs.com/whiteparade.html


I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#7 of 10 Roger Mazerolle

Roger Mazerolle

    Auditioning

  • 1 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 06 2012

Posted August 06 2012 - 09:54 AM

It's funny that you should mention these two films and I'll tell you why. I am trying to collect ALL the movies to be nominated for BEST PICTURE at the Academy Awards and I am stuck. I am looking for 4 films (actually I just found "The Love Parade" for sale as part of a movie set on Ebay). The other 3 are "The Patriot", "The White Parade" and "East Lynne". I just read your comments and its like someone just put a stake thru my heart. I guess that I shouldn't be looking for 2 of these films since there is little to no chance that they will EVER be released on DVD. But, thank you for the info because it will save me tons of time trying to find them anywhere for sale.

#8 of 10 bujaki

bujaki

    Supporting Actor

  • 689 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 01 2012
  • Real Name:Jose Ortiz-Marrero
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted August 06 2012 - 10:08 AM

And don't forget that The Patriot is, regrettably, a lost film.

#9 of 10 battlebeast

battlebeast

    Supporting Actor

  • 712 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 10 2010
  • Real Name:Warren
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted August 11 2012 - 09:35 AM

Yes, The Patriot Is lost, however, you can see it's trailer on "Treasures of American Cinema" Voi. 3. It's about 3 1/2 minute trailer, so you get to see a bit of the film, at least...


I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#10 of 10 Emmaking

Emmaking

    Auditioning

  • 6 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 21 2012

Posted October 21 2012 - 04:08 PM

On the advice from a member of this forum, I went to UCLA to view East Lynne and The White Parade. The White Parade is indeed an extremely rare film in that the only surviving print resides at the UCLA archive. I watched this film, and, to say the least, it is in very bad shape (this is why it has never been released on home video.) The print is fuzy and almost bleached out, yet still watchable. Near the end of the film, it inexplicably cuts to an image saying "disc 7." Fast forward a little and we continue the film to the end. Several frames are cut and spliced together, and some frames "jump," where we see two different frames on screen at once. I don't think UCLA has restored it, but it is watchable. And as for East Lynne, the print was recently restored, but on three frames, inexplicably, there is an "X" drawn across the frame. One frame has a "Crosshairs" drawn on it, while several others have ink lines.  There is technology that looks at a frame before and after to "clean" the middle frame. So, I think they should use this on East Lynne to fix these ink lines. (who would do that to a film???   So, I don't think these two will be available any time soon! (some one just told me that East Lynne is available on DVD, minus 12 min (the last reel.) I don't know about this.   Fox could have included East Lynne in their set of films, hell they put Cavalcade inexplicably in their (to sell more sets?) maybe they will put out a set of old "Fox" films: State Fair, Cavalcade and East Lynne ?

Nous vous remercions de l'article --------------------------------------------------------------- diagnostic outil pour voiture|Launch X431 Diagun|Scanner OBD




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users