Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Which unit should decode?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 gtoast99

gtoast99

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 12:57 AM

My current system includes a samsun BD C6500 bluray, which decodes to 7.1 analog jacks among other audio output options.  I’m using the bluray to decode the audio, and then go to 4 separate amps (front R/L, front C, rear R/L, powered sub), and I’m not using the full 7.1, just 5.1.  This works out okay, except that I have to control the volume on each amp separately.  This means if I want to turn the volume up or down just a little, I have 4 separate knobs to do it, and I can’t do it by remote control.  So I’m picking up a used Outlaw 950 preamp/processor so I can remotely adjust all the volumes at once via the preamp.  The outlaw comes with optical in (and the BD has optical out), but it also includes 5.1 analog in.

Here’s my question:  should I have the bluray decode the audio and send it via analog outs to the outlaw 5.1 analog ins to volume control before going to the amps *OR* should I go optical from the bluray to the outlaw and have it decode the audio?  What are the pros and cons of each method?  Thanks in advance!

#2 of 4 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,055 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 12 2011 - 01:48 AM

Optical will only carry DD and DTS.  Your BD player is decoding the new, high def audio formats.  Use the analog connections for the best sound.

#3 of 4 gtoast99

gtoast99

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 06:47 AM

Awesome, thanks so much!!

#4 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,675 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 12 2011 - 12:50 PM

I would use both. The analogs for TrueHD and DTS-MA and optical for everything else.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users