Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: The Ten Commandments (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,255 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 11:37 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATES THE 55TH ANNIVERSARY OF CECIL B. DEMILLE’S LEGENDARY EPIC WITH A SPECTACULAR BLU-RAY™ AND DVD GIFT SET

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

Fully Restored and in High Definition for the First Time Ever, Timeless Classic Arrives March 29, 2011 in Six-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo Featuring Over an Hour of New Bonus Material, a Commemorative Book, the 1923 Silent Version of the Film and More in a Limited Edition Box Set with Tablets

Enduring Saga Will Also be Available in Two-Disc DVD or Blu-ray Sets

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF.– For sheer pageantry and spectacle, few motion pictures can claim to equal the splendor of renowned director Cecil B. DeMille’s 1956 epic THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.  To commemorate the 55th anniversary of this beloved masterpiece, on March 29, 2011 Paramount Home Entertainment will release a fully restored version in high definition for the first time ever in an extravagant six-disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo gift set, as well as in a two-disc Blu-ray and two-disc DVD.   DeMille’s last motion picture made Charlton Heston a superstar and remains a cinematic triumph and perennial fan-favorite.  Filmed in Egypt and the Sinai with one of the biggest sets ever constructed for a motion picture, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS tells the story of the life of Moses (Heston).  Once favored in the Pharaoh's (Yul Brynner) household, Moses turned his back on a privileged life to lead his people to freedom. With a rare on-screen introduction by Cecil B. DeMille, this unforgettable movie experience is sure to be enjoyed and treasured by the entire family for years to come. 

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS Blu-ray/DVD Combo gift set comes packaged in a stunning limited edition box featuring an image of the Red Sea that parts when the box is opened to reveal two tablets, which encase all six discs in the set.  The set also includes a commemorative photo and archive book, a new 75-minute, in-depth documentary about the film and its impact, original costume sketches, the 1923 silent film The Ten Commandments (also available for the first time on Blu-ray),international premiere photos, production notes from Cecil B. DeMille, correspondence from Charlton Heston, feature commentary and more. 

The fully-restored version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS will also be available in a two-disc Blu-ray and two-disc DVD, both of which include commentary, newsreel footage of the film’s New York premiere and trailers.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS Blu-ray/DVD Gift Set

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Surround Dolby Digital, French 2.0 Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish 2.0 Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese 2.0 Surround Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.   The DVDis presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Surround, French Mono, Spanish Mono and Portuguese 2.0 Surround with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Disc contents are as follows:

Blu-ray

Disc One:

• 1956 Feature Part 1
  • Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments
Disc Two:

• 1956 Feature Part 2
  • Commentary by Katherine Orrison
  • Newsreel: The Ten Commandments Premiere in New York
  • Theatrical Trailers
Disc Three:

• 1923 Feature
  • Hand-tinted Footage of the Exodus and Parting of the Red Sea Sequence (from 1923 feature)
  • Photo Gallery—1923
  • The Ten Commandments: Making Miracles—75-minute documentary
  • Photo Gallery—1956
DVD

Disc One:

• 1956 Feature Part 1
  • Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments
Disc Two:

• 1956 Feature Part 2
  • Theatrical Trailers
Disc Three:

• The Ten Commandments: Making Miracles—75-minute documentary
  • Photo Gallery—1956
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS Blu-ray & DVD

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS two-disc Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Surround Dolby Digital, French 2.0 Mono Dolby Digital, Spanish 2.0 Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese 2.0 Surround Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.   The two-disc DVDis presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Surround, French Mono, Spanish Mono and Portuguese 2.0 Surround with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  Both two-disc sets include the following (in HD on the Blu-ray):

Disc One:

• 1956 Feature Part 1
Disc Two:

• 1956 Feature Part 2
  • Theatrical Trailers

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

Street date:                March 29, 2011

Pricing:                      $59.99 U.S. (Six-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Gift Set)

$24.99 (Two-Disc Blu-ray)

$14.99 (Two-Disc DVD)

Runtime:                   220 minutes

U.S.Rating:               G

Canadian Rating:     G

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 59 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,888 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 10 2011 - 11:47 AM

YES!  Way to go Paramount.  I will be picking this one up, and after seeing African Queen I'm sure they will do a wonderful job with it.  At this point I am leaning toward the $24.99 two disc, but might cave for the special edition.

#3 of 59 OFFLINE   Jonathan Peterson

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 11:54 AM

Nice! This has long been one of the films I really wanted on Blu. The DVD just never looked very good to me. I am really looking forward to picking this up.

#4 of 59 OFFLINE   RichMurphy

RichMurphy

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 12:32 PM

Two factual errors in the press release:  DeMille had nothing to do with "Ben-Hur", and I'm not quite sure how his on-screen introduction is "rare" - it's been on at least the last two home video releases.  (Maybe they meant "rare" as opposed to the OFF-screen introductions he did for some of his earlier films.)

#5 of 59 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 10 2011 - 12:58 PM

SE as soon as the preorder is up

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#6 of 59 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,527 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:04 PM

So what's on the other 3 discs of the 6-disc set?  I only see 3 discs mentioned in the press release.  Oh, I get it, they are including both the blu-ray and the DVD in the gift set.

#7 of 59 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,517 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:04 PM

So, can we assume that each of the Blu Rays is 50 gB (to alleviate bit-rate concerns)?

#8 of 59 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,888 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by RobertR 

So, can we assume that each of the Blu Rays is 50 gB (to alleviate bit-rate concerns)?

I'm sure.  There is no way they would split it across two 25 gig BDs.

#9 of 59 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 05:35 PM

There my be one more error in the press release. I believe that the "hand-tinted" sequences mentioned in the description of the silent version were actually filmed in early 2-strip Technicolor, not tinted. Whatever-- the inclusion of the silent version on BD helps make this is a must-have for me!!

#10 of 59 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,882 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 10:45 PM

My instincts are to go for the 2 disc set but I might swallow hard and buy the SE. I'd be sorry not to have the 75 minute documentary and the 1923 version.

The announcement mentions "fully restored". Does anyone know what condition the OCR was in?

#11 of 59 OFFLINE   kenNew

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 12:25 AM

Any ideas yet if this might be region-free?  I live in the UK and I've been waiting for this disc for an age.

#12 of 59 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by kenNew 

Any ideas yet if this might be region-free?  I live in the UK and I've been waiting for this disc for an age.

Since this is a Paramount release and they also have the overseas rights to the film (unlike Gladiator for example), I daresay that a region free disc is almost guaranteed.

#13 of 59 OFFLINE   Phoebus

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 02:04 AM

Another VistaVision release on blu-ray - difficult to resist for me! :-)

Not sure how much I like it as a movie, though.  It's more of a biblical pageant than anything else.

Doesn't seem a great deal different that its last dvd boxset release, including silent version and same commentary track.  A new 75-min doc, hopefully in HD, sounds interesting.

oh well, so long as the colours look good on the new bluray, I'll be perfectly happy with it.

#14 of 59 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,455 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 02:18 AM

I thought the original 2 disc DVD looked amazing color wise and image wise. The opening titles were great! So this new Blu Ray is probably going to be spectacular. Nice the gift set won't have any extra unnecessary trinkets. I can imagine the audio will see some tweaking, especially during the sequence the stones are carved or when God speaks to Moses. I've never seen the 1923 version, so that is tempting!

#15 of 59 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 02:21 AM

i'll go for the BD / DVD combo especially as it includes the 1923 version.

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#16 of 59 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by ajabrams 

There my be one more error in the press release. I believe that the "hand-tinted" sequences mentioned in the description of the silent version were actually filmed in early 2-strip Technicolor, not tinted. Whatever-- the inclusion of the silent version on BD helps make this is a must-have for me!!

Yes, you are correct, and it is so annoying they still haven't corrected this detail in the notes.  While some tinting was employed for the Parting of the Red Seas shot, the bulk of the footage was shot in two-color Technicolor.  It's the earliest surviving example of the process after 1921's "Toll of the Sea."

#17 of 59 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 05:07 AM

One combo pack for me too! DeMille's movie is visually stunning and spectacular beyond belief. This is also one of the most effects laden films ever made: it's jam-packed with miniatures, animations and travelling matte shots. I saw it when I was about 12 years old at the long gone Cataract theatre in Niagara Falls, NY and I still have the souvenir book stashed away in a box somewhere. Can't wait.

#18 of 59 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 642 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 10:10 AM

Indeed, I trust Paramount will amend this nonsense. Wyler's Ben Hur is light years ahead of De Mille's epic as "the" epic of the period. It was all that he yearned for- a critical as well as popular sucess and while DeMille was always popular with the public,critical sucess eluded him which is not surprising as he was never in Wyler's league as a director. Nevertheless, it is great

(if sometimes unintentional) fun and I'm looking forward to it on BD.

Originally Posted by RichMurphy 

DeMille had nothing to do with "Ben-Hur .

#19 of 59 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,255 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 12:11 PM

Paramount just sent us over cover art and a look at
the contents of the gift set.  Still no Amazon preorder.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#20 of 59 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,455 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 01:01 PM

Cool, so the two tablets house the discs and are not chotskies! They didn't include a swath of Moses' cloth he was wrapped in? Posted Image