What's new

Thoughts / suggestions welcomed on potential new system! (1 Viewer)

Hobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Following are the items considering for our entertainment area, which is in our finished basement [so, very minimum ambient lighting]:

1. Panasonic Viera TC-P50G20

2. Sony BDP-S570

3. Yamaha RX-V667

4. Klipsch Quintet 5.1

5. Apple TV

6. LOGITECH HARMONY 900-15

Have the following:

i. X-Box 360

ii. X-Box [black version, modded :)]

iii. 24" iMac with external hard-drives that contains our music (iTunes) & home videos (iMovie) & photos (iPhoto) - this is upstairs.

iv. Apple Airport Express - this is in the next room from the entertainment room, ~21' from the TV's location.

So, few questions:

a) Of the above, are there other options in similar price point that would provide improved quality, enjoyment?

b) How difficult is it to program the Logitech Harmony 900?

c) We watch mainly DVD's, streaming via Netflix content, and also want to have access to the items [see iii. above] on our HD's... can the above set-up do that w/o any issues? If there be suggestions, let me know... thanks.

d) what electrical power conditioners / voltage line regulators are suggested?

e) should I hard wire instead of relaying on the Airport Express ["n" version] wireless?

And I will have the TV calibrated in ~100 hours...

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
a. Where is it lacking? What are your goals? What I want from a system may not be what you want so open ended questions like this are difficult to impossible to answer.

b. My tech averse mother-in-law programmed hers. After using a computer for 15 years, she recently learned how to copy/paste.

c. I don't use Apple products so I don't know.

d. Do you have dirty power or fluctuations in voltage? I use a computer UPS on my projector and DVRs. The other equipment is plugged into the surge portion of the UPS.

e. See c.

Hobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
a - don't know where any of these components may be lacking, or if there are "better" models in similar price points,,, hence my question :) From what I've found via on-line and magazine reviews and limited exposure to what is available in-person to see, the above is what I've put together as a good quality, long-lasting components, provide good audio and video, with minimum of problems.

b - sounds good, thanks... all I know is that BB was trying to tell my wife that they'd need to program it for us, at tune of $150 for that nice privilege, and of course I was counting how many pizzas and beers that would be. I've not seen one or held one, so was curious.

c - thanks

d - have tried washing the electrons, but they just go into a deeper spin cycle, and fluctuate even more,,, so I would say yes. I've a CyberPower UPS on my computer system, but didn't know if there was recommended brands / models for the A/V system.

e - thanks

This is our first really nice quality A/V system, so am trying to be a bit more proactive and prepared, to help the equipment last longer, etc.

Again, thanks.

Originally Posted by Robert_J

a. Where is it lacking? What are your goals? What I want from a system may not be what you want so open ended questions like this are difficult to impossible to answer.

b. My tech averse mother-in-law programmed hers. After using a computer for 15 years, she recently learned how to copy/paste.

c. I don't use Apple products so I don't know.

d. Do you have dirty power or fluctuations in voltage? I use a computer UPS on my projector and DVRs. The other equipment is plugged into the surge portion of the UPS.

e. See c.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Klipsch - Have you listened to them. I mean listened. Not a 2 minute quicky on the Best Buy shelf. Some people find the sound of Klipsch fatiguing. Others love them. Rarely there is a middle ground with Klipsch.

Sony - I'm not a fan. In my opinion, you are paying 10% to 50% extra for just a name. But this is my opinion only. I have no facts to back this up.

Surge - Panamax or Furman. Avoid Monster at all costs. My UPSs are Energizer with Ebay replacement batteries. I just picked up a used APC that is huge. I'd like to see if I can mod it to accept a deep cycle car battery. I find that the better electrical upgrade was a few dedicated 20 amp circuits in my room.

BB - I love those guys that try to upsale useless stuff. If you can work with all of that Apple stuff on a network, programming a Harmony will take a few minutes. You will have to tweak it to your liking. I leave my DVRs running 24x7 which is not part of the standard setup. I also had to add some delays between commands because equipment would miss them.

Hobbes

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
[SIZE= 14px]Hate to admit, but only listened to them for ~5-10 minutes [lady of the house was getting hungry,,, don't mess with hungry lady], so honestly didn't get chance to go to as depth as normally would, and have in the past. I'm very much a sonic freak, love sounds. Some of my favorite speakers are still my bookshelf Boston Acoustics. So, with that concern due to the horn-induced fatigue, what of these two other options below? Both are similar price [~400] vs the Klipsch [~350], but from what I've been able to find review wise on-line [since you've placed that bug in my noggin] is that these both are quite highly rated... any comments about these?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 60.6 Speaker System[/SIZE] or Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System

[SIZE= 14px]As to the Sony, for its capabilities and price point and reputation, seemed like better model for what we could find,,, other suggestion(s)?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Yes, have been looking at those two [Panamax and Furman], along with another CyberPower... will gander more at these two - thanks. Curious, you have the surge before the UPS, correct?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]lol, have finally had chance to watch couple youtube videos about the remote - 150 dollars, man a scam.[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks