Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Home Theatre PC- Don't Want To Make The Wrong Choice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   zackevin

zackevin

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 01:44 PM

I ditched cable a month ago and bought a Sony Netbox for the living room. It has served it's purpose but I want to move it upstairs to the bedroom and replace it with a much stronger HTPC or media PC. But I don't want to make the wrong choice and end up with something that I can't use or don't know how to manipulate. How it will be used: 1. Streaming Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, NBC, YouTube, etc. 2. Play DVDs- we don't own any Blu-Ray but a Blu-Ray player would be nice.  Not a deal breaker. 3. Connect to our Vizio HDTV, 1080p via HDMI. 4. Connect to our Sony Surround Sound system. 5. Surf the web. 6. We may be adding a home server so it would be nice to connect to that and play movies from it. 7. Wireless How it will NOT be used: 1. Gaming 2. Store videos, pictures, etc. If we can, we would like it to stay under $500. I know that I could build something much stronger for this price range but I have no computer building experience and would hate to get stuck halfway through and not know how to get out.  So, it would have to be a pre-built system.  I have looked at the Dell Zino, eMachine, Revo, and many more.  Should I just do a tower or one of these nettops, HTPC, media PC, etc.  I am just not sure what kind of specs to be looking for.     So if you have advice on what requirements to look for or a system that would be great, I would appreciate the advice. Thanks!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 02:29 PM

That isn't a very high budget... I guess I would recommend the following:

http://www.amazon.co...94457168&sr=8-4

Another option would go with:

http://www.amazon.co...94457168&sr=8-1

with the Bluray player of your choice.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   zackevin

zackevin

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the response.  Much of this is new to me so sadly, I see a Dell Zino or Revo for example as a starting point and many of them start around 299, 399. What would you raise the budget to in order to get a quality machine?  What would you say is a worthy product? Thanks again!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 03:03 PM

The Dell one would be a option although I think your looking at $499 if you want wireless. If you want Bluray and a little more:

HP s5610t series

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E5500 [2.8GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB]
Memory 4GB DDR3-800MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
Hard drive 320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Office software No additional office software
Security software No additional security software
Graphics card 512MB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
Speakers No speakers
Primary optical drive Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
Networking Wireless-N LAN card
Front Productivity Ports 6-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio ports
TV & entertainment experience TV tuner, ATSC-NTSC with PVR, remote
Sound Card Integrated sound
Keyboard and Mouse HP wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse

This would run $730

I would also look at the Sony I think it should do everything you want in a pretty compact form factor. You could look at something like the PS3 mated with an Apple TV.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II