Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.


Photo

Dear Universal - May we have the remaining W.C. Fields films,please?


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

    Producer



  • 4,637 posts
  • Join Date: May 22 1999
  • Real Name:Rick

Posted January 06 2011 - 08:56 AM

TILLIE AND GUS MILLION DOLLAR LEGS IF I HAD A MILLION and whatever else you have unreleased.... Thanks!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

    Supporting Actor



  • 715 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 23 2001
  • Real Name:John
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 06 2011 - 10:22 AM

I have the British set from Universal, and along with your 3 titles, and with the recent release of 1933s ALICE IN WONDERLAND and 1935s MISSISSIPPI, I think MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH, FOLLOW THE BOYS and I think POPPY are the last under Universal's umbrella. Now I can't remember about POPPY. Is that out?

Originally Posted by Dick 

TILLIE AND GUS

MILLION DOLLAR LEGS

IF I HAD A MILLION

and whatever else you have unreleased....


Thanks!





#3 of 7 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

    Screenwriter



  • 2,185 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 01 2009
  • Real Name:Ray

Posted January 06 2011 - 12:58 PM




Originally Posted by John Morgan 

I have the British set from Universal, and along with your 3 titles, and with the recent release of 1933s ALICE IN WONDERLAND and 1935s MISSISSIPPI, I think MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH, FOLLOW THE BOYS and I think POPPY are the last under Universal's umbrella. Now I can't remember about POPPY. Is that out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick 

TILLIE AND GUS

MILLION DOLLAR LEGS

IF I HAD A MILLION

and whatever else you have unreleased....


Thanks!


 

poppy is on the W.C. Fields Collection volume 2, but neither Follow the Boys nor Mrs. Wiggs have been released in the United States.  Paramount may also own some silents.  These would be really great to be released (along with Alan Ladd and more classic horror).



#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

    Screenwriter



  • 1,526 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 07 2004

Posted January 07 2011 - 02:13 AM

And throw in WC FIELDS AND ME (1976) as an extra.  Steiger is surprisingly good (if memory serves me right, he did a pretty good Fields imitation in NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY).
Charles Hoyt

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Grant100

Grant100

    Extra



  • 21 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 27 2010

Posted January 08 2011 - 10:53 AM

I've got that R2 set and its excellent. Includes... My little chickadee The Bank Dick Never give a sucker an even break It's a gift You're telling me Man on the flying trapeze The old fashioned way Poppy You can't cheat an honest man Six of a kind Follow the boys International House Million Dollar Legs Mississippi Big Broadcast of 1938 Tillie and Gus If I had a million I've got Alice in Wonderland on the stand alone release so just missing Mrs Wiggs I think...

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

    Second Unit



  • 294 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 15 2009

Posted January 09 2011 - 09:39 AM

I've got that set too and it's a great one!! So is the British Laurel and Hardy box. How ironic that we have to look abroad for more thorough releases of American cinema icons.  MRS. WIGGS was once available on a Goodtimes VHS (recorded in a slower speed format) but certainly long-gone from the shelves.  It makes me crazy that film companies issue ALMOST all of a major actor's output on DVD and leaves out one or two key titles (i.e. Shirley Temple's POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL, etc.)

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

    Executive Producer



  • 12,783 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2006
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 09 2011 - 02:13 PM



Originally Posted by ajabrams 

  It makes me crazy that film companies issue ALMOST all of a major actor's output on DVD and leaves out one or two key titles (i.e. Shirley Temple's POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL, etc.)


When TCM recently aired Poor Little Rich Girl (or was it FMC?), I recorded it, but the transfer was in very rough shape. This Temple film must have seemed too far gone (it wasn't THAT bad) to the Fox folks and so they left it out when issuing the Temple films on DVD. It does make a big hole in the midst of Temple's film releases by not being on DVD.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Forum Nav Content I Follow