What's new

USHE Announcement: Les Miserables 25th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Promotion: Les Miserables

Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 2/22/2011 LES MISERABLES Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 11/17/2010 Synopsis: Experience the event of a lifetime with this spectacular 25th anniversary celebration of one of the most popular musicals ever written, Les Misérables. Honoring 25 years of this incredible show, this momentous film captures the excitement of two magnificent sold-out performances that were watched live around the world. With a phenomenal all-star cast, including pop star Nick Jonas (Jonas Brothers), Tony® Award winner Lea Salonga (the voice of Disney’s Mulan and Princess Jasmine), and over 500 additional artists and musicians, revel in the songs of the unforgettable characters as they struggle for redemption and revolution. Blu-ray Widescreen (61118326) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-21008-4-0 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 2/22/2011 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 50 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case with Slip Sleeve Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English Dolby Digital Plus 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH
French European
Italian
Castilian Spanish
Japanese
Latin Spanish
Korean
Swedish
Danish
Finnish
Dutch
Norwegian
Portuguese
Hungarian
Icelandic
Cantonese
Traditional Mandarin
Polish
Turkish
Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: DVD Widescreen (61118325) : Disc 1 (Side A)
Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-21008-3-3 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 2/22/2011 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 2 Hours 50 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case with Slip Sleeve Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Spanish
Edition: - Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: Not Rated CARA Rating: - Bonus Features:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
At first.....at first.....I thought that perhaps Universal obtained

Sony's rights to the infamous Les Miserables release that was

promised on Superbit so many, many years ago that the studio

never bothered releasing.

But at closer look, this isn't the DREAM CAST presentation.

Not sure if I want to pick this up without reading some reviews first.

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Never seen the show or heard any previous recording but received this for Christmas and really enjoyed it. Only the vocals for Marius seemed a little weak. Picture quality and sound both good.

It is a concert version and lacks the full stage scenery. If you like "Little Britain" then you will enjoy the cameo by Matt Lucas as the innkeeper.

There is a brief mention in the credits that Universal are going to produce a cinema version.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Who plays Marius? I'm assuming Lea Salonga is playing Eponine, but who's singing the other major roles?

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Alfie Boe as ‘Jean Valjean’,

Nick Jonas as ‘Marius’,

Norm Lewis as ‘Javert’,

Matt Lucas as ‘Thénardier’,

Lea Salonga as ‘Fantine’,

Jenny Galloway as ‘Madame Thénardier’,

Katie Hall as ‘Cosette’

I think Nick Jonas is one half of a pop group "Jonas Brothers"

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I wish they'd put out a film of an actual performance instead of yet another "in concert" version.

Amazon lists the MSRP as $57!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
A Jonas Brother in Les Mis. I can't even begin to describe how wrong this is. Did they learn nothing from the Complete Symphonic Recording when they had Gary Morris doing Valjean? And I'm going to wager Morris is a superior singer to Nick Jonas.

Oh well, at least they made him Marius rather than Valjean. I am not as passionate for Marius's songs as I am for Valjean, Javert, Fantine and Eponine, so as long as they have strong performers in those roles I may be happy with this production.

No Philip Quast and Colm Wilkinson really hurts this (though admittedly they may be too old now).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I ordered this last month from Amazon.co.uk. It should be arriving any day now. And I liked the Complete Symphonic Recording.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina includes Colm Wilkinson. From the reviews posted there it seems his participation is during the encore.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw the one night theatrical release of this and the entire original cast performed "One Day More". Also, Nick Jonas was by far the worst performance of the night.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

There is a brief mention in the credits that Universal are going to produce a cinema version.

I assume this is about the cinema screenings of this concert, rather than (as I first read this comment) a Les Miserables movie musical (which I would love to see made, and which I was disappointed never happened during the recent movie musical boom).

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
I am fairly certain Universal are to make a movie version of Les Mis. There was a programme on UK television about the 25 years of Les Miserables and Cameron Mackintosh stated that, after long negotiations, they had come to agreement with Universal for the making of a screen version.

Colm Wilkinson does only appear in the reprise at the end.

From the UK press release for the dvd/BluRay, "Cameron Mackintosh is currently developing a film of Les Misérables with Working Title and Universal".

Edit: Added line from press release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's too bad that Nick Jonas seems to have dragged-down this event...because I was really hoping this would be worthy of an "upgrade" over my DVD of the "Dream Cast" Concert. Like Ron, I was waiting for that Superbit--with hopefully upgraded audio--which never came.

But anything with Lea Salonga in it gets me to lean towards making a purchase...as long as it's not too expensive.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brian Sharp

I am fairly certain Universal are to make a movie version of Les Mis. There was a programme on UK television about the 25 years of Les Miserables and Cameron Mackintosh stated that, after long negotiations, they had come to agreement with Universal for the making of a screen version.

Colm Wilkinson does only appear in the reprise at the end.

From the UK press release for the dvd/BluRay, "Cameron Mackintosh is currently developing a film of Les Misérables with Working Title and Universal".

Edit: Added line from press release.

That is exciting news. Hope it all comes together.

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a pretty big Les Mis fan, have seen the stage show many times in London and on Broadway. I own CDs of the London, Broadway, Complete Symphonic, Original French and 10th Anniversary recordings.

We all have our favourite roles and performers to go with them.

The 10th Anniversary DVD release cast was great but the visuals and audio were just okay.

This Blu-Ray is a real mixed bad. Visuals are okay, it looks like some smoothing has been added, or perhaps this is inherent in the camera. I would give it a rating of B, as it does not live up to my expectations for the format.

The casting is bizarre to say the least.

Alfie Boe as ‘Jean Valjean’ - He is great, my favourite Jean Valjean. We have booked to see him in the London show this summer. I did not see Colm in his prime. Previous favourite was David Willetts

Nick Jonas as ‘Marius’ - A real disaster, very nervous, doesn't have the singing chops, ruined "One Day More". I actually like the Jonas brothers, seen them in concert with my daughter.

Norm Lewis as ‘Javert’ - Not to my taste at all, took the character in a very different direction, this is my favourite role so deeply disappointing. I was lucky enough to see Philip Quarst more than once in London in this role.

Matt Lucas as ‘Thénardier' - I always liked Alum Armstrong in this role, you have to believe that Thenardier is capable of sisnster things, he is not just comedy relief. Matt played the role for laughs, there was no menance of bite about him.

Lea Salonga as ‘Fantine’ - I was never much of a fan of Lea during her hayday with Miss Siagon. But I have to say here performance was a revelation, brought tears to my eyes, with out doubt the best rendition of this role for me.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Brian Sharp

Lea Salonga as ‘Fantine’ - I was never much of a fan of Lea during her hayday with Miss Siagon. But I have to say here performance was a revelation, brought tears to my eyes, with out doubt the best rendition of this role for me.

Same here. And I've seen several London versions.

Cees

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Brian, that's great news!

I'm not a fan of bare-bones "staged concert" performances either. I saw Chicago on Broadway, which had a very minimalist production, and I liked the movie *much* better.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am watching the UK edition now. The sole supplement is something called "A Whiz Thru Miz" which plays back fine. It's a fluff piece about 5 minutes long. The main feature plays fine as well. This is the edited version of the show, shortened over the years to bring the running time with intermission to under 3 hours. I'm glad the Complete Symphonic Recording is around; it was made before the edits. The only reason I see to get the US version of this disc is to get the subtitles...the UK edition only has subtitles in English and German.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks