Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Android Honeycomb Tablet OS is official. This does not suck!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
213 replies to this topic

#1 of 214 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 05 2011 - 09:34 AM

And you know my feelings on Android tablets so far...

http://www.engadget....ablet-honeycom/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 214 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 05 2011 - 09:56 AM

I will say this: the interface is very different from anything we've seen before.  Very impressive video.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 214 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted January 05 2011 - 11:56 AM

Looks very interesting for sure.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#4 of 214 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 12:27 PM

The amazing thing is that MS couldn't come up with something like this for Windows desktop. I can see the need for a dual core chip, but I'd like to see more -- it's certainly pretty, but what does it do that Android doesn't currently do except nicer looking and faster, with the understanding that the higher specs account for much of those gains? But I'm glad they moved away from the app drawer aesthetic. A nice, flashy intro, but I'm/ hoping for a game changer on the input side.

#5 of 214 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

I will say this: the interface is very different from anything we've seen before.  Very impressive video.

I don't know.  The OS UI nav part of the presentation reminded me a little bit of the PS3's UI w/ iOS coverflow thrown in. Posted Image

So is the whole Honeycomb UI going to have app windows floating about in 3D fulltime (and w/ neon blue lines running wild in the background 3D space)? Posted Image

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#6 of 214 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 02:55 PM

The onslaught of Honeycomb tablets from every manufacturer is going to give the iPad a serious run for its money. And if the iPad 2 is just an iterative device with a camera and the same old iOS app drawer, it's going to look very dated but quick. Video chat over Google Voice could be the next big thing -- I anticipate that will come to the SGT and phones as well.

#7 of 214 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted January 06 2011 - 02:48 AM

Official blog post:

http://googlemobile....-honeycomb.html

#8 of 214 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted January 06 2011 - 05:18 AM

Verizon walkthrough:

http://gizmodo.com/5...-google-tablets

#9 of 214 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted January 06 2011 - 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Official blog post:

http://googlemobile....-honeycomb.html

Actually, I thought this reference in that blog post was more cool/fun to check out Posted Image (even though somebody complained that the project was not original Posted Image ):

http://googlemobile....n-spaaaace.html

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#10 of 214 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,291 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 06 2011 - 06:12 AM

Interesting, but brief, video. It only gave a taste of what was to come, and I found it too short and fast to have any opinion on whether HoCo is super awesome or modest revision.

I did see that Android is now going to be afflicted with a CoverFlow-like interface for books. On behalf of all Mac users, you have my sympathy. Posted Image

#11 of 214 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted January 06 2011 - 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

Interesting, but brief, video. It only gave a taste of what was to come, and I found it too short and fast to have any opinion on whether HoCo is super awesome or modest revision.

I did see that Android is now going to be afflicted with a CoverFlow-like interface for books. On behalf of all Mac users, you have my sympathy. Posted Image

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought too.

Hopefully, their spin on the coverflow thing works much better in actual, practical usage -- I'd think it'll at least be much easier/more customizable than Apple's take on that so far, but that still may or may not be all that good...

_Man_

#12 of 214 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,068 posts

Posted January 06 2011 - 07:16 AM

Longer walk throughs:

http://www.engadget....ed-tour-of-the/

#13 of 214 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,291 posts

Posted January 06 2011 - 08:28 AM

I remain envious of the revised Google Maps. Hope that comes to iOS sooner than later.

The most intriguing part to me was the swooping multitasking system. It looked like a re-imagining of WebOS's "cards" metaphor. That could be quite powerful.

EDIT:

Widgets for email...I have lust in my heart.

#14 of 214 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,291 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 02:43 AM

http://arstechnica.c...xoom-tablet.ars

Motorola's Xoom tablet is wide-ish screen, with an aspect ratio of 1.6 (1280 x 800 resolution). Conventional widescreen HD is 1.777 (or 1280 x 720). The iPad is a squareish 1.333 (1024 x 768).

So another choice for hardware designers, software designers and buyers is what aspect ratio to go with. And not simply a choice of a "square" or "widescreen", but perhaps everything in between as Motorola's design suggests.

#15 of 214 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 11:05 AM

The GTab is very close to 1.7 (1024x600) -- a size popularized by the original "netbooks". (1024 wide because that is the minimum to fit most web pages; 600 tall because -- I dunno -- that was as short as they could go to cut costs for the screen and resulting size of the machine, and it still is a bit too short for some apps.) And big desktop widescreen monitors were all 16:10 to start, and have only recently started going exactly-HD 16:9.

I'd classify all of those as widescreen, and the slight differences (between 16:10 and 16:9, or 1.6 to 1.777) shouldn't be too much of a problem for most apps. Apps with UI widgets (lists and grids) should resize "gracefully", and most games just have to decide which side to crop slightly. Google Maps wouldn't care; the web browser wouldn't care. It's only if you want pixel-perfect representation with no arbitrary cropping that you'd have to worry about it.

#16 of 214 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 07:31 PM

Honeycomb's big...yeah yeah yeah!
It's not small...no no no!
Honeycomb's got...a big big bite!
Big big (taste/crunch) in a big big bite!" 

Posted Image

MMMmmmmm...  Me wants...  Big BITE!  ARRrgh! Posted Image Posted Image

_Man_

#17 of 214 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,291 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 07:20 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that demo video us for the Motorola Xoom. And that demo is a scripted event or demo video. It's not real. This has come out on the CES reporting. The tablet is wholly hands off; no one can touch it or use in an unscripted fashion. Hopefully android 3 will be that great. But I've got a dim view of these non-real demos.

#18 of 214 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 07:24 AM

http://www.androidce...s-motorola-xoom

Oh well -- doesn't appear to be a true "hands-on" either.  The Moto guy is holding the thing the entire time.

#19 of 214 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 01:11 PM

Could this be the killer input method in Honeycomb? http://googlesystem....to-improve.html The prospect of typing without looking -- indeed,typing without an onscreen keyboard altogether -- is totally awesome.

#20 of 214 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 09:26 PM

That BlindType looks very promising.  Since it probably uses some kind of dictionary, wonder how well it handles text that are not recognized words and maybe the mixed use of multiple languages.

Not sure I'd really want the virtual keyboard to scale to my typing as I go though, but I'm sure that can be optionally adjusted or locked.

Will they actually get it into Honeycomb in time for the upcoming tablets?

_Man_