-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

GoldenEar Technology "Triton Two" Floorstanding Speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 05:38 AM

I've been reading several reviews about these speakers and they have really piqued my interest.  Not that I need new front speakers at all, but for $2,500 retail, they seem extraordinary based on the reviews.  Anybody heard them in person?  There are no dealers around me...the closest are in TN and FL.

Some online reviews (more forthcoming):

http://hometheaterre...eaker-reviewed/

http://www.avguide.c...wo-loudspeakers

"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 11 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,520 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted January 05 2011 - 04:06 PM

Another gushing review in the current Sound & Vision mag. I'm in the same boat, interested but no dealers nearby. Seems like they're really limiting their sales potential if they only limit sales to a handful of dealers across the country.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 11 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 06 2011 - 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm R 

Another gushing review in the current Sound & Vision mag. I'm in the same boat, interested but no dealers nearby. Seems like they're really limiting their sales potential if they only limit sales to a handful of dealers across the country.

I read that review as well, but to me S&V is like the USA Today of HT rags, so I take them with a grain of salt! Posted Image  But that being said, they LOVED them and they were only used in a 2-channel configuration.  These are WAY outta my range and like I said, I had no plan to replace my fronts but I'm itchin' to hear these.

"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#4 of 11 Mike NC

Mike NC

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 12:49 AM

I was present at the dealer debut of these speakers recently in Pineville, NC. My intention was to go to this open house to listen to the Magnapan 1.7 which I did while I was there. The 1.7 was very impressive, however, when I wandered into the room which housed the new Goldenear speakers, Sandy Gross (who seemed extremely proud of his new babies) started playing some music. I was truly blown away by the sound I was hearing. Keep in mind that I had just come from a demo of the Wilson Sasha's, and was expecting a lot less from the Tritons. I must have asked Sandy two or three times what the price of his new speakers was. I kept thinking I misunderstood him.

The midrange and top end I heard were outstanding. The new tweeter he has used is extremely natural and seems to blend beautifully with the midrange. I thought the bass wasn't quite as well integrated with the rest of the sound, but keep in mind that the demo was done in a room that was almost square, and I know that would negatively effect the bass performance. When asked to crank the volume up by one of the participants, the basic character of these speakers never changed. They just kept their composure and played beautiful music.

In my dedicated sound room, I am presently using full range speakers with an additonal subwoofer for bass support. After having heard the Tritons, I am very serious about getting a pair and eliminating the need for the sub. These speakers DO NOT NEED THEM.

#5 of 11 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mike NC 

I was present at the dealer debut of these speakers recently in Pineville, NC. My intention was to go to this open house to listen to the Magnapan 1.7 which I did while I was there. The 1.7 was very impressive, however, when I wandered into the room which housed the new Goldenear speakers, Sandy Gross (who seemed extremely proud of his new babies) started playing some music. I was truly blown away by the sound I was hearing. Keep in mind that I had just come from a demo of the Wilson Sasha's, and was expecting a lot less from the Tritons. I must have asked Sandy two or three times what the price of his new speakers was. I kept thinking I misunderstood him.

The midrange and top end I heard were outstanding. The new tweeter he has used is extremely natural and seems to blend beautifully with the midrange. I thought the bass wasn't quite as well integrated with the rest of the sound, but keep in mind that the demo was done in a room that was almost square, and I know that would negatively effect the bass performance. When asked to crank the volume up by one of the participants, the basic character of these speakers never changed. They just kept their composure and played beautiful music.

In my dedicated sound room, I am presently using full range speakers with an additonal subwoofer for bass support. After having heard the Tritons, I am very serious about getting a pair and eliminating the need for the sub. These speakers DO NOT NEED THEM.

DAMMIT, Mike...did you REALLY need to write this?!  Posted Image Posted Image Ugh, I do not need to spend this money! Posted Image

#6 of 11 Mike NC

Mike NC

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 05:37 AM

Sorry about that, but when I hear something this good, I have to spread the word. If I wasn't out of work at the moment, I would have placed a deposit on a pair already. Just so you know, I'm not one to change out equipment every other week like some audiophiles. I've used and loved my present setup for many years (Linn DMS Isobariks w/ M&K sub) with a total new value of about $5300. In that time, I've heard many great speakers at shows and in showrooms but was never tempted enough to lay my money on the line. At $2500 and no need to screw with a sub, this is the answer to my prayers.

#7 of 11 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 12:42 PM

HA HA, just messin' around, Mike. Posted Image

Yeah, I'm basically the same way...I only upgrade components when I absolutely feel the need to or get a ridiculous deal that I can't pass up.  I've owned my current speakers for about 10 years now.  Everything I've read points to these speakers being the real deal.  I just wish I could audition them locally.

#8 of 11 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 02:53 AM

Another review posted in the first post...

#9 of 11 NicePair

NicePair

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 21 2011 - 12:34 AM

I am very proud of my Home Theater system... now that I bought a pair of Triton Two speakers....great on movies....music.....sacd....dvdaudio...I'm a big fan of the heil type tweeter....having owned the ESS Classic Pyramids for over thirty years....and still play like new....The Triton Two's have a great ability to expand the stage left and right and floats beyond and overhead above space for music and movies....and now that they are well broke in....the bass and midrange are very very good with great transcient detail....and this might seem like overkill....but my Tritons are competing against some very good subwoofers....I have four signature subwoofers from Paradigm in my Home Theater....so with the Triton's....I have six subwoofers going at once....and they all blend in perfectly....and I can hear the positive addition of bass from the Triton's...needless to say I can hear some extremely low notes with this system....above the builtin subwoofers on the triton's I run them with a separate P2 power amplifier from Paradigm with 325 watts per channel....and I do like a lower crossover that most people.....around 45hz....and its perfect for my listening perception....all my friends say they know when I'm home as soon as they are in my driveway....because they actually feel the bass....and some of my windows rattle....but for 2500 dollars....these are an exceptional addition to your system....and you too...can have a nice pair... without the cost of surgery...

#10 of 11 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,691 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 21 2011 - 07:14 AM

We have three dealers in the Bay Area so I'm going to have to give them a look. I'm very happy with my Swan Diva's but obviously there are better speakers out there. Atlantic Technology is another brand I've always wanted to listen to as well as some Thiels, Vandersteen's and Salk's.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#11 of 11 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 804 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted June 29 2012 - 04:45 AM

I've had my eye on these for quite some time. I'm really interested in getting some once I finish my home theater.