What's new

What is THE BEST Antivirus program? Why? (1 Viewer)

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
What is THE BEST Antivirus program? Why? My McAfee provided by AT&T (DSL internet browser) is pissing me off. It has stopped working. Every time I do a virus scan the computer shuts down half way through. And the built in spam and pop up blockers have always sucked! Besides, I am about to switch internet providers to Sprint. I already use them for wireless. I had PC Cillin before, it worked too good, blocked EVERYTHING. Couldn't look at a lot of websites, use paypal, etc... so F that! I tried the free AVG before, it is garbage. It let a lot of viruses through. My last computer was infected so bad using it, I decided to just get a new one. So any recommendations? Heard any good reviews?

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
Michael Reuben said:
WOW! Yes they could. One last post was 05, the other was 06!

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I would go with MS Security Essentials. It has very low overhead works very well and so far has been bulletproof. Not that I have ever been infected with any viruses but since I'm a IT guy I would be embarrassed if I did get caught. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If your PC is regularly getting so many viruses that you have to buy a new one— it's so bad that AVG is ineffective — you're doing something wrong. A little prudence goes a long ways. I've been using AVG for years with no problems. As you look for a better AV program, you should also evaluate what you're doing to acquire so much malware and fix that too.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by JoeCool6972

I had PC Cillin before, it worked too good, blocked EVERYTHING. Couldn't look at a lot of websites, use paypal, etc... so F that!

I don't know whether Trend Micro uses the "PC Cillin" name anymore, but their products are still great. If your previous version blocked too much, you needed to adjust the settings for your particular requirements. I'm currently using the Titanium version of their Internet Security and have no complaints.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I use and recommend Avast all the time. First off, it's free (that is, the version I use is free). Secondly, it blocks downloads of malicious files while you're surfing the net. Third, it has a small resource footprint. Additionally, on 32 bit operating systems, it can perform an offline scan (great for removing those stubborn dll's that can't be deleted in safe mode). And you can set up an admin password for it so that it cannot be disabled by a virus.

theedmon10

Auditioning
Real Name
Jumy
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich . Its free too.

And thats exactly how ZenOK works and I just spoke my mind, what I find interesting is the fact it comes with other features as online backup, and an advanced risk management system

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I like Vipre Antivirus Premium, which is currently having a two years for $40 total New Year's Sale.

Tip: buy it around now so then in two years, chances are there will be another New Year's Sale when it is time to renew.

Vipre Antivirus Premium is both a firewall and antivirus. You can tell it what to ignore, etc. Unlike Nortons' it never hogs the processor.

Many people get by just fine with the freebie from Avast, but it shouts out "Avast Antivirus protection has been updated!" ever day when it downloads new definitions, as if anyone gives a shinola! It is SO annoying that I simply couldn't use it for my home computer.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You can very easily go into Settings and turn off the sound alerts in Avast.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I would read this thread before going with ZenOK:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=280565

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it works great. If I was going to buy a product, it would probably be either Kaspersky or NOD32.

Keep in mind an AV program is only one part of keeping your PC safe from malware. Check out this site for good advice for locking down your system:

http://www.mechbgon.com/build/security2.html

-Keith

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Originally Posted by Will_B

You can very easily go into Settings and turn off the sound alerts in Avast.

On the free version?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the free version allows you to turn off the sound alerts.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Hey, you're right. I was misled by the naming of it as "Silent/Gaming Mode". I wasn't playing games on my office computer so I didn't think this mode would apply to me, but apparently it works for non-Gamers as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just realized I'm keenly interested in this topic, having just installed Windows 7 on my wife's iMac

Need to re-read this thread, before I get too far into my Win7 installations.

Users who are viewing this thread