What's new

will I be happy with this first time setup? (1 Viewer)

vanmol

Grip
Real Name
knarf lomnav
This is my first attempt at HT with a limited budget. I'm looking for validation regarding the equipment I have choosen.

Receiver-----Onkyo TX SR707 refurbished for $350

Floorstanding speakers-----Polk Monitor 70 new $200 ea

Center speaker-----Polk CS2 refurbished $150

Subwoofer-----Undecided and due to limited options will probably have to go with at least 10in wireless so that it could be placed in open area if necessary.

Have not even thought about surround or back speakers. Something to do later on. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Onkyo's are good receivers. Polk speakers where the first speakers that I owned as well. It looks like you have a good start to your home theater.

vanmol

Grip
Real Name
knarf lomnav
Thanks Dave----I have a friend with experience who is now trying to talk me into a low end HT System stating that my speaker choices are too powerful and need to be played very loudly. This is a 3 sided livingroom about 12 x 12 next to an open 12 x 12 diningroom. It seems like the more I learn the more confused I get.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I don't think these speakers will be "too loud." The sensitivity is 90 dB, my speakers are 89, a very close match. What it does mean is that you don't need a huge, high-powered amp to get them going! You'll have plenty of headroom with that Onkyo amp - should be clean and quiet at reasonable volume. (by quiet I mean no noise, hiss, etc) I think this will be a great starter.

Of course, the answer to your question is a sly smile with "for a while..." thrown in! Seems us nuts always want more and better.

If you can buy this set and add the surrounds and sub later, I say go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks