What's new

PS3 / HDMI / Home theater CONFUSION. Any help? (1 Viewer)

MDXTransport

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
I have an issue trying to install a PS3 to work with my Home Theater system. The components that make up the system are:

Sony DVP NC85H CD/DVD Player

Sony STR-DG800 A/V Receiver

Sony KDL 46-V2500 LCD TV

Xantech 789-44 Connecting Block (so remote can be aimed at TV, not behind and in the other room at A/V Receiver)

9 Bose speakers, 7 in-wall mounted and 2 powered subs

Scientific Atlanta cable box (Time Warner cable) Explorer 8240HDC (HD and DVR)

My TV is mounted over the fireplace in the corner of my living room. All the other A/V components are in a cabinet in the hall by the dining room - about 25 feet away. The house was pre-wired when it was built - about 3 years ago, and all components were installed by the builder. I have had no problems and love my setup - until now. I cannot get the PS3 to work with the HDMI input in the back of my stereo. I have read the owner's manual time and time again - but I must be missing something.

Here's how the wires are hooked up (best as I can tell) for the existing components:

Video box - HDMI cable running directly to TOP HDMI input of TV (there are 2)

Video box - Component cables running to back of A/V Receiver

DVD Player - Component cables running to back of A/V Receiver

Component cables running from back of A/V Receiver to TV

I have tried to get the PS3 to work using the HDMI output going to the HDMI input on the receiver. I followed explicit instructions using the Owner's Manual about reconfiguring the inputs to work as I need them to. Nothing works.

I was told by my local store to run Component cables from the PS3 to the A/V receiver. This won't work, as there are only 2 inputs in the back of the receiver. Plus, what do I have the HDMI for then?

For now, I'm playing using the Video 3 front inputs - the picture is not very good quality. What am I missing?

Fortunately, the Bluetooth controllers work well with the PS3 located in another room. I hope I have the same luck with the "motion" controller and the little gizmo that it needs to work with (the Sony Eye I believe). I know how the wires were run when the house was built - suffice to say they went around about 5 different corners and bends to get to the TV. Adding or changing the wires is NOT an option.

Any advice about what I need to change around is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
First - I assume that Cable box = Video Box (as you call it) - Is this correct?

If above is correct, then it is possible that when you run the HDMI from the PS3 to the Receiver that there is a "handshake" problem between the PS3 and the TV since you run Component wires from Receiver to the TV. There is no way for the TV to answer back to the PS3.

With HDMI there is an HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection) requirment that the TV and the source (your PS3 - in this case) "talk" to make sure that there isn't an HD source copy device attached so people can make a bunch of copies off of a "pristeen" source.

What if you run an HDMI from the cable box to the receiver and then run the component from PS3 to Receiver? This would vacate a component slot. Better yet, why run two connex from Cable Box? What are you gaining?

Also, is Video box = cable box there at the same location as the receiver (25 feet away from TV)? HDMI runs of 25' or more are not recommended. Component is the run of choice.

MDXTransport

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Mike

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure why I wrote "Video Box" - but you are correct in assuming it is a Cable box.

This setup was performed completely by a Security company; I know nothing about why what wire goes where. I only know it works, without issue, and has for over 3 years.

There are BOTH HDMI and component cables leaving the Cable box; the HDMI goes straight through the wall to the TV; the component goes from the Cable box to the receiver. I assume there is good reason for this, so I figured I'd better leave that alone. I assumed that the Component cable was used to send the audio from the Cable box to the receiver, as the receiver powers the audio. I assumed there was no other way to get the audio signal to the receiver.

The Receiver only has 2 component inputs; the TV/SAT, which the Cable box is connected to, and the DVD which the DVD player is connected to. This is why I concluded I had to use the HDMI cable with the PS3; there is no other place to put it without going Analog.

I apologize, but I know nothing about this "handshake" process you describe. My knowledge of home theater equipment is virtually nonexistent; I just look at the specs and try to apply what I know and come to a logical conclusion. This is why I plugged the HDMI cable from the PS3 to the Receiver - it looked like it was supposed to go there!

The PS3 came only with HDMI and the analog cables; I assume I can purchase a Component cable for the PS3 somewhere.

The wire run is possibly 25 feet. Both HDMI and Component cables have been hardwired through the house. The actual route they have to take is not the most direct though; it is possible the cable length exceeds 25 feet.

Is there a reason both component and HDMI are connected to the TV? This doesn't make much sense to me either.

Thanks for your response!

Greg

dustinio

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
Hey Greg,

Have you tried going HDMI from the ps3 to the sony receiver, but leave the ps3 hooked up to the video 3 input it is in already, so you have to connections going to the receiver. Power the ps3 on as you normally do and go to video settings in the settings menu of the ps3. Change the video output setting from composite(the yellow RCA connection) to HDMI. Once the ps3 has done that, change the sony receiver to the correct HDMI input and see what you get. The ps3 will either output composite or HDMI but not both at once so it needs to be told which one to do. Let me know if this helps. Also I would have to agree with Mike about running HDMI from cable box to the receiver and then HDMI from receiver to tv. Also, if you are not running just the red and white RCA cables out of the DVD player you are not getting the true surround sound you could be. It would be worth it to look into using one of the digital audio outputs on the back of the dvd player going and go into one of the inputs on the receiver. I know it can be daunting to start rewiring things when they are already working, so if you are not comfortable with maybe you could hire a local AV company to do it, shouldn't take them too long as long as the equipment is easily accessible. Best of luck.

safesinger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sal
Is there any other component using any HDMI connection? I ask because it is possible that your PS3 is sharing the same HDMI slot your other component is. Example my PS3 is hooked up to my reciever as well as my cable box and they both are on HDMI-1 on my TV set. So If I want to watch TV I select HDMI1 on my reciever and if I want to use my PS3 I select HDMI2 on my reciever.

My setup

TV Menu: HDMI-1

To watch Broadcast Television select HDMI 1 on the Reciever leave the TV menu set to HDMI-1

To use the Playstation3 select HDMI2 on the reciever leave the TV menu set to HDMI-1

Because TV's have multiple HDMI ports as does the Reciever it's important to see which HDMI port on the output of the reciever is going into which HDMI input on the televison.

MDXTransport

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Gentlemen - Thanks so much for your replies. I am going to take the knowledge I have here and try to figure something out. I think the key issues are that I don't know how the system was installed, and I don't have to do anything to switch my TV from Component Input to HDMI Input (as far as I know). I just watch TV and life goes on. For all I know, I may not even be using the HDMI port on the TV - the wire may do nothing. To clarify again - the HDMI cable goes straight from the Cable box to the TV (through the wall). It does not go in or out of the receiver at all. I do have an extra HDMI cable here, so I will try the suggestions as listed above. Not realizing that the TV needed to be switched in and out of HDMI mode makes me now wonder if I have ever been using my TV to the fullest capabilities. I'll reply later. Thanks again. Greg

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Greg,

Quick question? You mentioned that the "component cable" was transmitting audio. "Component" typically referes to a three wire video connection that is colored red/green/blue. When you said "component cable" and said audio I thought that you might actually have a singl digital coax cable which makes perfect sence if you have HDMI going to the TV, then you would need an audio source to the receiver. Can you clarify that please?

MDXTransport

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
PARTIAL SUCCESS!!!

I plugged the HDMI cable from the TV into the OUTPUT of the A/V receiver. The Cable box and the PS3 now go to the HDMI Input of the receiver. After this, all worked normally except the PS3; almost as if I'd done nothing. Further review of the TV owner's manual led me to reprogram the inputs. I finally got the PS3 to work on Input 6. The good news is I have 1080P resolution on a consistent basis with the PS3. I have sound from the TV speakers, but not from the Surround system. I was under the impression the receiver was able to "extract" sound from the HDMI cable?

Between the PS3 manual and the Sony Receiver manual, I cannot figure out how this is supposed to work. The PS3 wants me to configure the audio to "whatever the receiver is set up to handle", but 7.1 surround setting doesn't work. In the end, none of the settings for the PS3 seem to send any audio signal to my Receiver. Any advice???

Considering all my components are Sony, I would have thought this should have been easier!!!

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Greg,

I just went to the Sony site and looked up your receiver's Owner's Manual. Take a look at page 30 (top right hand corner). It says "NOTE When a playback component connected to this receiver and this receiver connected to the TV with HDMI, the sound is output from the TV speaker only".

Now I must admit it doesn't seem possible, because I though that the only way 7.1 can be deciphered from a Blu-Ray source (like a PS3 player) was by HDMI into a receiver. I will need to do more research, but I am really stunned that you can't extract sound through this receiver. It may explain why the original installer had both Component and HDMI running from Receiver to TV. I'm baffled.

When did you purchase this receiver?

Not sure where to go unless you go back to two leads to the TV.

dustinio

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
I couldn't believe it when I read the quote about automatic passthrough, then I read a couple of pissed off reviews. Looks like you'll need to get an optical cord and go from the ps3 into the receiver to get surround sound.

MDXTransport

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Sorry for the delay in responding - end of year nonsense came up.

I thank you for your replies - now I don't feel like a "total idiot". I'm going to try to find out where I can get the optical cord (no idea what it is) and give it a whirl.

I have considered upgrading my receiver, but there's really nothing wrong with the one I have. What do you recommend?

Thanks for all the help!!

MDXTransport

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Purchased the cable, and installed it. Reconfigured the receiver to accept the input and apply to Video 3. No luck. Went through the PS3 menu and selected the audio output. Still no luck. I am going to have to go through the PS3 manual a bit more closely it seems. Am I better off just upgrading my receiver? I thought with everything being Sony, problems like I'm experiencing wouldn't be so common. Seems I was wrong. My setup is a 7.2 surround. I'm told it's 7.2 as opposed to 7.1 because I have 2 subwoofers. Then again, as I mentioned earlier, the company that installed this system is no longer around! Greg

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
In the PS3 setup there should be an option for digital audio out - deselect HDMI or some variation of that to get to optical out and see if that works/

dustinio

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
Also, double check that the cable is fully inserted into both devices, I know it sounds dumb but you'd be surprised how many things can come loose when you push your equipment back into place. Once you have confirmed the PS3 is outputting its audio through the optical cable and NOT the HDMI, cycle through all the receiver sources to make sure its not accidentally coming out of input 2 or something. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks