-

Photo
- - - - -

Swamp Thing AV center

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted January 01 2011 - 04:23 PM

I've been agonizing over a stand or entertainment center for all my goodies.  I finally found something cool, and with a bit of work made a unique piece of furniture that is the right size, and has room for everything!

http://www.facebook....100001487095675   for particulars

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

--ignore the man behind the curtain

#2 of 4 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted January 02 2011 - 12:22 PM

Pretty cool I like wood and natural look is even cooler.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#3 of 4 Kazz

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted January 04 2011 - 06:09 AM

It looks good I will check it out.  Thanks

#4 of 4 chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 05:04 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Here's a shot at an angle.   The three glass shelves are from a Z-frame computer/office desk.  I didn't want the desk anymore, and it didn't sell at a garage sale.  Lucky for me I never toss stuff, eh?  The top glass is 30"x60" and rests only on the 3/4" birch-face plywood box.  The center shelf is 15"x48" and is sitting in slots I cut in the tree parts with a hand saw - power tools were too unwieldy!  The back edge of that center shelf sits on a bar running across the 3-sided box.  The bottom shelf is 20"x37" and sits on four short upright bits of ply, with another piece for the front.

I cut a profile on the front edges of the box sides so that it fits snug against the tree parts.  Those tree/stands were cut down from 30" high with a wood shelf (just like the speaker stands) to get the TV at the proper viewing height.  There is a 10-outlet strip screwed to the back of the box, plugged in to my giant UPS hidden away behind the wall.  Through the sliding door is an office area and bathroom at the rear of my house.

The blue conical things are wine bottles.  I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of each (cylindrical cutter with diamond edge - very sweet tool).  I pushed a line cord up through the bottom and connected it to a short string of Christmas lights, which I stuffed into the bottle from the top.

I still need to replace the chrome birds-foot stand with something less, uh, shiny.  I'll probably knock together another box to hang the TV on.  If I run it up to the top of the TV, I can put a shelf up there for the center speaker.  It will do nicely to hide the wires.  I need to camoflage the big holes in the back of the box - they stare at me when I'm watching TV.   I kept the tops of the trees I hacked off and plan to remove the wood shelf, then dress the tree portion and set it on top of the top glass shelf - that way the trees will look like they grow right up through the glass.

--ignore the man behind the curtain