What's new

Photo goals 2011 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
- develop more meaningful shots and worry less about technical BS.   - Tell better stories.   - Capture and share genuine emotions.   - Explore more! - surprise myself and others - give back to others who have helped me and continue to pay it forward What are yours? Happy 2011 all!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
  1. Work on my long lens technique to capture better wildlife images. We plan to return to Yellowstone this summer, so I plan to take a couple of spring trips to the zoo to practice beforehand.
  2. Improve my use of flash. This is my weakest skill, and the one I use the least.
  3. Improve my people photos -- getting better at capturing candid moments. I started working on this over the holidays at family gatherings.
  4. Look for new photo opportunities in old locations. This will especially be true in Yellowstone, as it will be my fifth trip there. However, I want to find some new takes on events and places around our hometown, too.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
TOP's advice, which I don't think I will follow:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/01/looking-for-a-photographic-resolution.html

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Take a portraiture course or two (studio and/or available light).

Continue to refine my bounce flash technique.

Maybe sell some stuff. I'll keep you guys posted. :)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Read the manual for the camera 2 more times

Familiarize myself with all controls

And yes, take more pics in RAW.....

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Awesome Scott, Yellowstone is definitely on my bucket list!

Yellowstone is probably my favorite place to visit. It has so many things to offer -- mountains, thermal areas, canyons, waterfalls, great hiking, and the best wildlife experience in the country. Plus, the Grand Tetons are just a short drive away. We spend an entire week in the park each time we visit, and never come close to running out of things to do.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Yeah, but I need to budget the 600mm before I can budget the Yellowstone trip to play with it! =)

I know you were just kidding, but although having as much focal reach as you can afford at Yellowstone is ideal, there are a lot of wildlife photo opportunities with a shorter length telephoto. On our last trip 300mm on a crop body was my longest focal length, and I will be going with 400mm maximum on a crop this time. The subjects where focal length matters the most are the wolves and sometimes the grizzlies, but even 600mm would not be enough sometimes with those subjects. Elk, bison, big horn sheep and black bears can be seen quite close by. Here are a few examples from our last trip -- no cropping done:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My goals for 2011:

—Take better shots instead of more.

—Start making more connections with other photographers.

—Get some monolights.

—Practice, practice, PRACTICE!

—Look at more art to inspire me.

CitrixXen

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Daniels
These are all Mouth Watering! Mine is to capture photos like this (nature inspired) either in European Alps or Alaskan wilderness.

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

Yeah, but I need to budget the 600mm before I can budget the Yellowstone trip to play with it! =)

I know you were just kidding, but although having as much focal reach as you can afford at Yellowstone is ideal, there are a lot of wildlife photo opportunities with a shorter length telephoto. On our last trip 300mm on a crop body was my longest focal length, and I will be going with 400mm maximum on a crop this time. The subjects where focal length matters the most are the wolves and sometimes the grizzlies, but even 600mm would not be enough sometimes with those subjects. Elk, bison, big horn sheep and black bears can be seen quite close by. Here are a few examples from our last trip -- no cropping done:

[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks