Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any news/rumors of Ken Burns' docs coming to Blu-ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 03:09 PM

I'm (again) considering picking up his series on Baseball and maybe Civil War on DVD given some great prices of late, especially for Baseball.  But I'd hate to get the DVD set(s) and then find out shortly afterward that the BD versions are coming say later in 2011 (or even early 2012).

Anyone have any news or reasonably reliable rumors about BD versions coming sometime soon?

Thanks much.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 584 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 12:32 AM

I have not heard anything, but the the Burns' baseball doc has a lot of older footage. I am not sure BD is going to make a huge difference. And then you would need to make sure they don't try to crop for widescreen. (Although the Tenth Inning portion on DVD appears to have been originally done in widescreen, some of the clips, I would imagine, are from full screen prints and thus cropped).

I would not be surprised to eventually see this out on Bluray, but I am happy with the DVD set.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 02:26 AM

I doubt it and don't see it as necessary. Blu is just not as significant as an upgrade as dvd was to vhs.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for the comments so far, guys.

Originally Posted by Albert_M 

I doubt it and don't see it as necessary. Blu is just not as significant as an upgrade as dvd was to vhs.

Not sure if you meant this just for the Ken Burns docs or for films in general, but that is not true for high quality source content that can take full advantage of Blu -- you do need a large enough FOV/viewing angle to take full advantage of Blu, which may be larger than what most people have in practice.

But yeah, I'm wondering how much diff Blu would make for the Ken Burns docs as well.  I don't doubt some substantial portions of the docs will make little use of Blu's higher fidelity presentation.

How's the compression quality of the DVD set?  Even if the eventual BD version doesn't add much in terms of resolution/detail, compression quality might still make a significant diff.

Thanks...

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 31 2010 - 08:11 AM

I will say, if they were on blu, and they used the right way to have branching and content pop-ups, they could be incredible teaching tools.. burns options through the websites of "see more" and full text of many of the soldiers letters, etc. that they use in "Civil War" etc. would have me pausing, reading, skimming, going through content.. it would be an absolute encyclopedia of it.

I've often thought the same of why I'd love to see "Shoah" on Bluray.. would the quality improve?  Maybe not, but outside of the fact it'd likely be 2 BDs instead of 4 DVDs, you'd have a chance using branching to extend, add new content, text, information, pop-ups, etc.

I think Blu has a more natural use as an educational tool for documentaries then anything before it, just no one tries. 

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted December 31 2010 - 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Albert_M 

I completely disagree with this. If you've got the proper equipment and a disc with a high quality transfer, the differences are shocking.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,172 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 11:16 AM

I would imagine it should be easy for Burns' docs up to Empire of the Air to be ported to Blu-ray. Not so much Baseball on.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Dalek 

I would imagine it should be easy for Burns' docs up to Empire of the Air to be ported to Blu-ray. Not so much Baseball on.

Why's that?

_Man_

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 11:40 AM

BTW, I'm not too sure this thread actually belongs in the TV programs on media section of HTF though the docs were originally produced for TV presentation.

If the mods feel this belongs in the BD for Films/Docs section instead, please feel free to relocate.  Thanks.

_Man_

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 31 2010 - 05:32 PM

I don't know, they were produced for PBS.. I'm not sure where else they should go but TV :)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 584 posts

Posted January 01 2011 - 02:08 AM

On the TVShowsonDVD.com website, it is listed as a mini-series.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted April 18 2011 - 02:31 PM

Anything new on a possible Blu-Ray release of The Civil War?  There was a 150th Commemorative Edition of The Civil War released on DVD end of last month. Looks like it's the original set with a 6th disc with more interviews/outtakes of Burns & Foote. Wonder if the lip-sync issue has been fixed?

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,319 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 18 2011 - 05:39 PM

I would gladly buy The Civil War on BD if they can fix that ghastly lip-sync problem. And Baseball, for my Dad.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 05:03 AM

Great deal at Amazon today on Baseball- one day only, Gold Box.  DVD only still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users