-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Falling Skies" on TNT starting June 2011

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#1 of 86 spshultz

spshultz

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted December 27 2010 - 10:48 AM

Please let this be good and not a huge let down.  It's produced by Steven Spielberg.

#2 of 86 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 27 2010 - 03:17 PM

I'm with you, please be good.   This looks like everything I wish "V" remake was.

Show description from TNT:

FALLING SKIES opens in the chaotic aftermath of an alien attack that has left most of the world completely incapacitated. In the six months since the initial invasion, the few survivors have banded together outside major cities to begin the difficult task of fighting back. Each day is a test of survival as citizen soldiers work to protect the people in their care while also engaging in an insurgency campaign against the occupying alien force.

At the center of the series is Tom Mason (Noah Wyle), a Boston history professor whose family has been torn apart. His wife was killed in the initial attack, and one of his three sons has been captured. Determined to get his son back and to ensure the safety of his other two sons, Tom must put his extensive knowledge of military history to the test as one of the leaders of the resistance movement known as the 2nd Mass, because of their location in Boston, Mass. They are constantly trying to gain intelligence about the aliens in order to one day outsmart and overtake them and hopefully rebuild their lives.

Moon Bloodgood (Terminator Salvation) co-stars as Anne Glass, a pediatrician who works with the surviving children to help them cope with the traumatic upheaval in their lives. Will Patton (Armageddon, TNT’s Into the West) plays a fierce leader of the resistance, Weaver. The series also stars Drew Roy (Secretariat) as Hal, Tom’s oldest son and a growing fighter in the resistance movement; Maxim Knight (Brothers & Sisters) as Matt, Tom’s youngest son; Connor Jessup (The Saddle Club) as Ben, Tom’s son who was captured by aliens; and Seychelle Gabriel (Weeds) as Lourdes, an orphaned teenager who helps Anne in the group’s makeshift medical clinic. Colin Cunningham (Living in Your Car) is John Pope, the leader of an outlaw motorcycle gang and Sarah Carter (Shark) is Margaret, a wary survivor of Pope’s gang.

FALLING SKIES focuses on the resilience of the survivors and their determination to maintain their humanity when all else has been destroyed. It is a tale of endurance, commitment and courage in which everyday people are called upon to become heroes. They may be outmatched, outnumbered and outgunned, but nothing can beat the human spirit. Most of all, the series is about the ties that bind people together in the most difficult of circumstances.

The aliens in the series are mighty, mysterious and merciless. They are highly intelligent and use military-like tactics, which makes them an overwhelming force against the 2nd Mass. There are two types of aliens that the human survivors have named Skitters and Mechs. Combining live action and special visual effects, the Skitters have spider-like bodies and incredible strength and agility. The deadly, robotic Mechs stand upright and can shoot bullets from their arms. The aliens control captured children, like Tom’s son Ben, through bio-mechanical harnesses but have yet to reveal their ultimate plan for them.

FALLING SKIES is executive-produced by Steven Spielberg, along with DreamWorks Television heads Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank, Graham Yost (Justified, The Pacific) and screenwriter Robert Rodat. Rodat, who earned an Oscar® nomination for his screenplay for Saving Private Ryan, wrote the pilot from an idea he co-conceived with Spielberg. Mark Verheiden (Heroes, Battlestar Galactica) and Greg Beeman (Heroes, Smallville) are co-executive producers. The pilot was directed by Carl Franklin (One False Move, Out of Time).

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 86 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,158 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 06:40 AM

Let me be the third in this thread, to hope this will be good. I was thinking that, as I quit watching V after 10 minutes into the 2nd episode of this season.

Only thing, is that just makes summer more "busier" for me. Posted Image

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#4 of 86 Kazz

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted January 18 2011 - 04:01 AM

Yeah I can't wait for this show as well. I've been reading the web comic about the show. I got interested in it after the marketing company I work for got the campaign for the show. I got to read the NYCC exclusive comic and I was hooked.

#5 of 86 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted March 29 2011 - 10:32 AM

The new trailers are fantastic

trakt.tv

#6 of 86 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 10:05 AM

Final CGI of the alien baddy:

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

I admit, with fox pimping "Terra Nova" where the premise to me -seems- stupid, I am way more interested in how this turns out.   TNT is starting to run heavy with the promos too.. caught one during House last night.

trakt.tv

#7 of 86 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted May 10 2011 - 01:37 PM

TNT must be super-committed, they are already making a commitment to a second season:

http://www.deadline....-as-showrunner/

This is a GREAT sign for people who want to commit to a SciFi drama.  I think more people would be willing to check in if they felt like a network was really behind something.

trakt.tv

#8 of 86 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,158 posts

Posted May 11 2011 - 02:41 AM

Well, Dr. Juliet Burke didn't get the job done against an alien invasion. Will Dr. John Carter have better luck? Posted Image

It does look like an interesting show.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August

#9 of 86 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted June 09 2011 - 01:02 PM

TNT started putting up behind the scenes, show premieres -Next- Sunday, but some sneak snippets this weekend.

And

And

Without a doubt, this is one of my most looked-for series not of the summer but probably the year.

I am VERY hopeful this thing lives up to the hype.

trakt.tv

#10 of 86 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 19 2011 - 04:58 AM

Premieres tonight!

#11 of 86 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 10:54 AM

Yep. Looking forward to it. Game of thrones finale and a 2 hr premiere of falling skies. Great way to cap fathers day.

trakt.tv

#12 of 86 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,087 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 19 2011 - 05:07 PM

I'll be sticking with it, but it had many of the same problems as most TNT original programming -- mainly that it doesn't trust its audience. So we needed hamfisted dialog showcasing that Noah Wyle's character was a history professor about a dozen times, that he has a third son named Ben who's got the spine implant about a dozen times, etc. I did love the head of the outlaws, who was written as smart as the protagonists. The references to locations in eastern Mass were also a fun callback to my college days. Those civilians must be in pretty good shape, though, because it's about 25 miles from downtown Boston to Acton.

In other words, it's perfect summer programming. Not good enough to make my fall roster, but plenty entertaining to keep me diverted over the warm months.

EDIT: Oh, and if this was with "limited commercial interruption", I'd hate to think what it'd be like without commercial interruption. Especially since they have to spent thirty seconds ruining what happens next at the start of each break.

#13 of 86 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 05:29 PM

Yeah the commercial fast forward bit was terrible.    But I think it did exactly what an opening two parter is supposed to do.   I look of the aliens, is frankly awesome.   I'm glad to see a show/movie not go the CGI route all the way and show us some "guys in costumes" so to speak.   But I thought the look of the aliens, from the robots to the beings themselves was great stuff.   It's definitely summer fare, but about what I expected.    I like the concept.

trakt.tv

#14 of 86 Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 09:20 PM

It wanted to be better than it was. Unfortunetly with its low budget, some dialogue and moments that verged on the cheesy/cliche side, some actors that seemed just out of film school, muisc that seemed better suited to a soap daytime show, and its general Hallmark movie of the week feel, I won't be sticking with it.

If only this show was on AMC, HBO, or even FOX (like Fringe in the beginning) if may have been better IMO. 

#15 of 86 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,158 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

EDIT: Oh, and if this was with "limited commercial interruption", I'd hate to think what it'd be like without commercial interruption. Especially since they have to spent thirty seconds ruining what happens next at the start of each break.

I was wondering if I heard correctly that the premiere was exactly that, because it sure did not feel like it. Luckily, I recorded it so I was able to fast forward thru the commercials.Seeing what happens next, does ruin the feel of watching of what would be otherwise, an entertaining premiere.

As for the show itself, it does look promising, as I like what I've seen so far. I did like the little history discussion between Tom Mason and the head outlaw, and how they see the alien invasion differently, when it comes to fighting them. Definitely popcorn TV.

#16 of 86 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted June 20 2011 - 02:53 AM

While I got a big "Jericho" vibe to the show while watching, the previews for episode to come did pique my interest, so I'm hanging in there for now.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#17 of 86 Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,075 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 02:55 AM

i was disappointed.  i will give it one or two more episodes.  but honestly, this did not hold my interest at all.  as someone else stated it seems like a hallmark/afterschool special production.  and that super cheesy music did not help at all.

listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#18 of 86 Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 251 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill GA USA

Posted June 21 2011 - 03:43 AM

I thought it was just OK.  I will probably hang with it a while.  The breaks were hard to fast-forward through on my DVR, because of their placement.  I would rather have regular commercials without the previews of what was coming up.  My girlfriend thought it was too much like The Walking Dead.  (I disagreed.)  I can tell you, that youngest kid is already on my nerves.  And, yes, I agree, that all the explanations being repeated is not necessary for an audience of any intelligence.  We get it-you're a history professor!  It seemed to get better in the second half.  Next week looks promising.

#19 of 86 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 11:54 AM

I was on my laptop surfing and watching the show so I didn't notice a lot of stuff people didn't like, but it seemed pretty decent.  I could kind of tell the hallmark vibe but I think it had better production value than that.  I hope they don't beat you over the head with explanations, I would rather miss something and have to rewind it then say "Well, no sht" after something is explained.

I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#20 of 86 JimKr

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 01:28 PM

Somehow I gotta feeling this is going to be a stinker like "V". High hopes before I watched it have been shattered.

Hopefully I am completely wrong.