What's new

Elan Alternative?? (1 Viewer)

Bubslug

Auditioning
Real Name
Bobby
Hi Everyone,

So after a year and a half of construction, my house is almost complete. The electrician is currently installing all the plugs/fixtures, and home automation will follow soon after...

So before my home theater installer started with anything, I requested an estimate last week for all the finishing of home automation equipment and labor. I was shocked to see the estimate was over $100,000. This is apparently only 5% over his cost. The house is over 7000 sq/ft, however the estimate is still very high.

I have already paid about $20,000 for all the pre-wiring during the rough in stage.

My budget for complete home automation including touch panels, speakers, amps, control equipment etc is $50,000. This is for home automation only and not including the home theater.

The main issue seems to be the Elan system which he spec'd for the entire house. Just the Elan HC12 System Controller is almost $6000 by itself. Here is the breakdown of some of the main components :

Elan TS7 Touchscreens x 4. $1245 each
Klipsch CDT-5800-C (Kitchen Speakers x 4) $375 each
Klipsch RW-5101-C (Kitchen Subwoofer x 1) $525
Klipsch CDT-5650-C (Kitchen Nook x 2) $290 each
James Loud Speaker PL-39 (above plasma tv in family room) $1890
James Loud Speaker S62 (Symphonic 2-Way Bookshelf for family room x 2) $860 each
Klipsch R-5650-W (In wall dining room speakers x 2) $290 each
Klipsch R-3650-W (in wall living room speakers x 2) $240 each
B & K REF200.7-BK Multi-Channel Home Theater Amplifier, 200 Watts X 7 Channels. $3150
Elan D12. 12 Channel Digital Amplifier x 3. $2500 each
James Loud Speaker M1000 Subwoofer Amplifer x 3. $1000 each
Klipsch RSA-500 amp x 1. $735
Elan C2 Communications Controller $1000
Elan HC12 Systems Controller $6000
Elan S128P Multi - Room A/V Controller $5135
Elan V8 Video Switcher $1000
Elan V85 Component Video Controller $2058
Gefen EXT-HDMI-CAT5-444 (Extends 4 HDMI Sources to 4 Displays) $2799
Rti RP-6 Advanced Control Processor $730

Here are some additional facts :

1. I'd like to have 60w per channel for optimum sound however I dont need to blow the roof of the house. I just want a system that sounds good when entertaining.

2. I'm not a super techy kind of guy. I barely have any apps on my iphone. I just want a basic home automation system that is stable.

3. I do however want an amazing sounding home theater when I get it set up in the summer. Therefore should I spend more money on equipment now?

4. I dont have any issue with the price of the speakers. Its just all the expensive amps and controllers that I have issues with.

5. The entire home has been pre-wired using Elan wire. Hopefully another system such as RTI or Control 4 can use that same wire if necessary?

6. I wouldn't mind using Ipads or an Android tablet as in-wall touch panels.

7. All of my lighting control is handled by Centralite which has its own panel.

8. My budget for home automation is $50,000 ($20,000 which i've already spent on pre-wiring) which leaves $30,000.

So my question is can I power all the speakers mentioned above adequately and have a decent home automation system for $30,000 or less? If so, what type of alternative setup do you recommend?

Thanks

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
My question to you is if your budget was for $50K, why did the CI spec the system shown? If that was the proposal from the start, why is the cost now an issue? Normally the system is approved of before prewire, equipment and all! That's how we do it. That way there is no "shocker" bill coming later. We always wire for the future, so hopefully when you tell your CI that's too steep, he can dumb down the equipment more to your liking (should have been done sooner).

We are Elan and Nuvo dealers so I could only suggest the Nuvo Grand Concerto. You would be losing a lot if not all of the automation you get with the Elan system. But the Nuvo stuff works. A smaller Elan system might work as well. Talk to your installer and see what he suggests.

Alex Menard

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex Menard
Oh my, perhaps I am new to this, but if I had a $100K budget, my installer would be told my budget is 60K.
He is ripping you off my friend.

See below for what dealer cost is)

Elan TS7 Touchscreens x 4. $1245 each ( $800 )
Elan D12. 12 Channel Digital Amplifier x 3. $2500 each ($1700)
Elan C2 Communications Controller $1000 ($825)
Elan S128P Multi - Room A/V Controller $5135 ($ 3800)
Elan V8 Video Switcher $1000 ($660)
Elan V85 Component Video Controller $2058 ($1500)

email me and I can sell you at cost plus 5%. Real cost plus 5%, not what you are being told

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
I'm not a big fan of posting dealer cost of anything on an internet forum. Just saying. I would never post our cost of anything. Leave that for PM's or phone calls.

Alex Menard

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex Menard
Normally I am not either, I like to make margin, but this guy was getting a real crappy end of the stick.
My point is to display how bad his contractor is.
Everyone tries to hide things like they are a major secret.
Sometimes someone has to standup

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Bobby, Welcome to Home Theater Forum. It would be helpful to know how may displays and ambient audio zones you are looking at. You mention that this is for home automation, but I only see audio and vido distribution. If that is the case you have plenty of other options. Kevin already suggested Nuvo which will provide a lot of the same functionality (but no video) for a fraction of the cost. The Request IQ system is also a good alternative: http://www.request.com/products/wholehouse.asp For the prices you are being quoted I would also look at Crestron Prodigy which would be able to integrate your lighting, HVAC and security too: http://www.crestron.com/products/prodigy_affordable_home_automation/ Control 4 would be another option as well. I know for sure that the Request and Crestron can use iPads and iPhones as touchscreens, not sure about the others.

What 4 video sources are you going to distribute via this gear?

Elan S128P Multi - Room A/V Controller $5135
Elan V8 Video Switcher $1000
Elan V85 Component Video Controller $2058
Gefen EXT-HDMI-CAT5-444 (Extends 4 HDMI Sources to 4 Displays) $2799
You have almost $11 grand in video distribution to what appears to be 4 displays. Why not just put a cable/sat box and Blu-ray player at each TV location? It would be a lot cheaper, and who wants to walk to the other end of a 7,000sf house to put in a DVD or Blu-ray?

Chomperoni

Auditioning
Real Name
Nad
I am building a home and in a similar situation as the OP, I would be interested in purchasing Elan equipment that my qualified friend can then install. If interested please PM me.

Dennis Eakin

Auditioning
Real Name
dennis eakin
I have just bought a small condo (3000 sq ft) had it gutted an then completely wired for all electronics etc. Just got a bid $170,000 after they did wiring for
$18,000. I want light controls, video, remote from iphone etc any ideas. Dennis

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Dennis. You have an interesting situation since the wiring is done. It really depends on how and what they wired for. We need more info, so I'll initially have more questions than answers. Did they wire your lights up like a regular house, or to central panels?

Tell me a bit more about what you mean or want when it comes to video. Did they wire for HVAC control? What about security and audio? Since they gave you a bid what system(s) are they planning on installing? Does that 170k including lighting fixtures?

krischen0r

Auditioning
Real Name
krischen0r mdona
I have the Lotus Elan SE that 've been used only 30914 kms.But I do not use it quite often ,so I decide to sell it. However, I still have no idea about the price yet.
Nue Science

Avery Greenberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Avery Greenberg
Hello Alex,

I saw your post an was interested in getting a quote. Are you able to get any Elan equipment with 220v? Where are you located? Is there any sales tax invovled. What about delivery costs? Do you have a webiste I can view?

Thanks

Avery Greenberg

ohmy

Auditioning
Real Name
john
My personal opinion is that Alex Menard should be banned from this forum. Very poor judgement call on posting cost!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
John:

Do you really think your first post on a forum should be to call for the banning of another member?

And what underlies your grievance?

chaz1315

Auditioning
Real Name
charles cestaro
I have some estimates on an Elan System that I need to do a comparison shopping on. I am ready to purchase and would need quotes for equipment and pissible the install but not 100% sure on the i9nstall. All the pre-wiring was done already. Please call Jessica Ramroop at 877 4737826 or email her at [email protected]

Betosan

Auditioning
Real Name
Melendez Electric Inc
I have several pieces for the elan legacy system what parts do you need, I have enoght to make a compleate 8 zone system work, abcourse they are not new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks