-

Photo
- - - - -

Only want CRT tv. Help.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,610 posts

Posted December 21 2010 - 07:03 AM

Watch a lot of standard def tv dvd's.  Look wretched on my 40" Sony Bravia upconverted.

Do companies such as Sony still manufacture these?  Really want a 32" CRT tv if they still exist.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 13 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,317 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted December 22 2010 - 12:44 AM

nope.

if you "think" you really want a crt...

look on craig's list as there are lots of them there.

I just sold my 34xbr960 for $275 last week.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 13 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,163 posts

Posted December 22 2010 - 04:05 AM

I watch standard DVDs on a 47" screen and they certainly don't look wretched.  Have you tried turning off upconversion?  Or even better, maybe go with a 760p monitor, so the resolution extrapolation won't be as dramatic for the coverting algorithm.

#4 of 13 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 22 2010 - 06:08 AM

Sounds like you just need a good upscaling dvd player. Regular dvds played on my 61" DLP look great. Most blu ray players do quite a good job at upscaling regular dvds.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#5 of 13 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,603 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 27 2010 - 02:42 PM

Where do you live? I know someone who will be selling a 36" HD CRT soon, in the Indianapolis area. :)

#6 of 13 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted December 27 2010 - 07:21 PM

Something is wrong somewhere. I understand VCR tapes looking "wretched", but not DVD's.

Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

Watch a lot of standard def tv dvd's.  Look wretched on my 40" Sony Bravia upconverted.

Do companies such as Sony still manufacture these?  Really want a 32" CRT tv if they still exist.

#7 of 13 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,087 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 28 2010 - 12:44 PM

Maybe the tv needs to be professionally calibrated, hmm I wonder who could do a service such as this.

Posted Image

facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 13 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,610 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 02:41 PM

Damn! These things really are extinct. Well playing full frame video games(Nintendo 64, SNES original X-Box) via composite cables windowboxed, and looking like crap in the middle of my LCD will have to do I guess. Oh, and one more thing. The black levels on LCD TV's can never, ever come close to what the most basic CRT sets have(had) to offer Never thought I'd miss my 27" Sony Wega. DAMN!!!!!

housekeeping 2.jpg

#9 of 13 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,603 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 10:55 PM

On the plus side, flat screens have no distortion, unlike the pronounced image curvature on the big wegas. I found it more than fair trade off. :)

#10 of 13 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,610 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 01:53 PM

On the plus side, flat screens have no distortion, unlike the pronounced image curvature on the big wegas. I found it more than fair trade off. :)

Yes, but I just wish I had a choice. I understand LCD, and every other type of new tv's are much cheaper to manufacture than CRT. But in my opinion certain types of hardware/software benefit greatly according to the device they are displayed on. Older video game systems with composite cables, non-anamorphic widescreen dvd's are just a couple reasons I still wish CRT's were being made. But trust me, for the life of me I don't miss the weight a larger screen CRT. This is the main reason 90% of the tv sold on E-Bay do not ship. Local pick up only.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#11 of 13 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,603 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 02:00 PM

I see used Sony Wega's for sale on eBay.

You could possibly still find old computer CRT monitors.

I also suggest looking into newer Plasma's if contrast ratios and black levels are a big concern. I'm not up to date, but they were reportedly getting very good and competitive with CRTs the past couple years.

#12 of 13 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,610 posts

Posted March 15 2012 - 02:12 PM

I see used Sony Wega's for sale on eBay. You could possibly still find old computer CRT monitors. I also suggest looking into newer Plasma's if contrast ratios and black levels are a big concern. I'm not up to date, but they were reportedly getting very good and competitive with CRTs the past couple years.

Thanks. Yeah I have heard Plasma set are pretty awesome for the black levels. I just started looking at color CRT security monitors. The majority don't have RCA hookups, but Iread that some do. They are pricey, but may be just the ticket. Also most don't exceed 20". A 20" CRT would do just great.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#13 of 13 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,532 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 16 2012 - 07:18 AM

They've been extinct for years. I just donated my 24" CRT that the kids were using and gave my 34" WEGA to my grandmother. Even projection TVs are all but dead as well. No dobut, CRTs still have probably the best PQ and black levels, but honestly, my current Samsung LCD looks really good, it just doesn't have anywhere near the same black levels.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein