What's new

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2010 BBCA (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to let all Dr. Who fans know that BBC America (BBCA) will be showing the Doctor Who Christmas 2010 special on Christmas day this coming Saturday night. It is the first time the show has aired at the same time as the BBC for a nice treat. Also, it looks good from the clips I have seen on Youtube and others. The Doctor as the ghost of Christmas, can't wait.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
It was quite an episode. Steven Moffat's imagination must be a strange and wondrous place.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Loved it. With all of this focus on past, present and future, an idea popped into my head for something that would be really cool: once Matt Smith decides to move on, it'd be neat if they cast the next Doctor way ahead of time, and had a scene where the next regeneration comes and meddles with the events of the current Doctor. I know they've done the reverse, with past Doctors interacting with the present Doctor. On the other hand, I don't want to see Matt Smith leave anytime soon.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It was nice. Sort of a "Douglas Adams meets Dickens" vibe to it, but that's fine. [Update: Horrors, I forgot to credit Neil Gaiman's Mirrormask, which has flying fish!]

I missed the companions not being much in it, but that's the way these special episodes are sometimes; they're different than the show.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I thought it was different, yet good for their usual Christmas special. As with the others though, it had a melancholy type of ending. When they first started getting the girl out I noticed the numbers on the chamber right away and knew something was going to happen. It was sort of like the ending of Voyage of the Damned.Overall, I thought it was a nice episode and the previews coming up look good too with River Song and the surprise twist they talked about in DW Magazine.

In regard to the Doctor having his future and last regeneration come to him in the present, that has already been done. This was done with Tom Baker and the show Logopolis. The "watcher" turns out to be his future regeneration that helped guide him during this show with vital information. They never said how this was possible, only that "in times of great need" can this happen. His future self with a formless, non-detailed figure that looked basic in human form with no features until he dies at the end and merges into his body for the regeneration process.

In the Three Doctors it explains what the show has said before and that is all of his other selves can not cross the time line in which they were in. A great episode too given the time period and budget they had in 1973.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I bought this episode off Amazon the day after it aired. Excellent program, one I will be watching at least a couple more times. I enjoy revisiting old DW Christmas specials during the holidays, and this is certainly the best of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks