Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: King of Kings (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 01:27 AM

FIVE NEW EASTER TITLES RECAPTURE THE PASSION, POWER AND DRAMA OF THE “GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD”….

CHARLTON HESTON PRESENTS THE BIBLE

Genesis ▪ The Story of Moses ▪ Jesus of Nazareth ▪ The Passion

King of Kings Debuts on Blu-ray™

Warner Home Video Announces Details for March 29 Releases in Year Marking King James Bible’s 400thAnniversary

Burbank, Calif., December 16, 2010 – On March 29, timed for the upcoming Easter holiday, Warner Home Video will release the critically acclaimed documentary Charlton Heston Presents The Bible along with the long-awaited Blu-ray version of the stirring epic, King of KingsThe films are being released in a year which commemorates the 400th anniversary of the King James Version, a classic Bible that still outsells many of the most contemporary translations. The titles will also be available On Demand and for permanent download through online digital retailers.

Charlton Heston Presents The Bible consists of four films featured on single DVDs: Genesis, The Story of Moses, Jesus of Nazareth and The Passion, allvividly narrated by the late Charlton Heston (Ben-HurThe Ten Commandments), and each with a 28-minute behind-the-scenes featurette. Available for $12.97 SRP each, these films will mesmerize the entire family at Easter and throughout the year. 

Hosted by Academy Award®-winning actor Charlton Heston (Best Actor in a Leading Role, Ben-Hur, 1959) and filmed entirely on location in the Holy Land, from Beit She'an, Jericho, Jerusalem, the Negev Desert, the Red Sea to the Sea of Galilee, Charlton Heston Presents The Bible combines dramatic readings by Heston of passages from the Old and New Testaments with historical commentaries in the land where these stories took place. Famous for his epic roles in Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments, Heston said of the project, "I'm not a priest or a scholar. I’m a story teller. These are the greatest stories ever told."

Jeffrey Hunter, Rita Gam, Harry Guardino, Rip Torn, and Robert Ryan star in King of Kings which is widely regarded as one of the finest cinematic retellings of the life of Jesus Christ and is now brought to life as never before on stunning Blu-ray Disc™ ($19.98 SRP). The film was directed by Nicholas Ray (Rebel Without a Cause) and produced by Samuel Bronston (El Cid) and tells of the life of Jesus Christ, from the Nativity to the Resurrection, and His sacrifice for humanity. The criminal figure of Barabbas is featured prominently and his violent struggle against the Romans is contrasted by Christ’s message of love.  

ABOUT CHARLTON HESTON PRESENTS THE BIBLE

In the beginning, before there was a written language, the stories in the Bible were told to people sitting around a campfire in the dark, listening to the tales of what had happened and what was yet to come. Now Charlton Heston recaptures all the passion, the power, the drama, and the sheer beauty those first storytellers passed on to us with his own dazzling new exploration of the greatest stories ever told.

Shot entirely on location in the Holy Land, this incredible production is more than great literature come to life. It is a walk through history itself. Directed by Tony Westman, executive-produced by Fraser Heston and Philip Fehrle, the documentary first aired on A&E in the early 1990s.

Charlton Heston Presents The Bible: Genesis

The stories were told through the generations, stories of what had happened and what was to come. “The best stories there ever were,” Charlton Heston says about the Bible’s tales. In Genesis, the first of Heston’s acclaimed four-part series, the renowned actor serves as storyteller. An ancient Roman amphitheater and other locales in Israel provide the settings for the Ben-Hur Academy AwardÒ winner.  He relies on the King James text, his dramatic skill and insightful observations plus great works of art and music to give flesh and bone to the Biblical wonder of creation, the forming of Adam and Eve, the plight of Jericho, the time of Noah, the lineage of Abraham and more. Walk through the Holy Land. Breathe in its rich history. And experience the greatest stories ever told.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

· Charlton Heston: Behind the Scenes

· Subtitles: English (Episode. Bonus Material/Trailer May Not Be Subtitled).

Charlton Heston Presents The Bible: The Story of Moses

“Ever since playing Moses in The Ten Commandments,” Charlton Heston has said, “I’ve felt a deep, personal connection with the Bible, which remains as vivid and vital today as when it was told around campfires centuries before there was any written language.” Heston brings his own storytelling gifts to The Story of Moses, the second in the actor’s acclaimed four-part Bible series drawing on the King James text, shot as often as possible at actual story locales and augmented with illustrative artworks. From the Book of Exodus comes the towering story of a foundling claimed from the bulrushes, the faceoffs with Pharaoh, the plagues, the Red Sea’s parting and an enslaved people’s liberation, the Ten Commandments…and more of the greatest stories ever told.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Charlton Heston Presents The Bible: Jesus of Nazareth

“There’s been more ink – and blood – spilled over this man since they nailed Him to the cross than over any single human being in history.” Drawing from the King James version of accounts by those – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – who first wrote down the story, Charlton Heston hosts Jesus of Nazareth, the third volume in the acclaimed four-part series of Bible-based stories and explorations. Against important locations that include the Jordan River, the wilderness temptation area, the Mount of the Beatitudes, the Galilee and the Temple Mount, Heston tells of the Nazarene’s ministry, miracles and message. It’s a story of humble birth, youthful promise and intense preparation; a story of strength and compassion, of faith and prophecy…a story that would literally shape the world.  

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Charlton Heston Presents The Bible: The Passion

“We come now to the tragic and triumphant coda of the New Testament,” host Charlton Heston says in The Passion, the fourth and final segment of the acclaimed Bible series rooted in faith and in the well-honed storytelling skills of Ben-Hur Academy Award® winner* Heston. The Passover and Last Supper, the betrayal by Judas and Peter’s thrice-confirmed denial, the clamorous trial and the agonized hours of the cross, the empty tomb and the victory over death – Heston revisits the stirring tale in locations that include the Hall of the Last Supper, the Garden of Gethsemane and the Via Dolorosa. As The New York Times’ John J. O’Connor wrote in his review of the series: “Heston scores powerfully with [his] readings. It works beautifully.” 

SPECIAL FEATURES:

ABOUT KING OF KINGS (1961)

“The life of Christ, intelligently told and beautifully filmed. Full of deeply moving moments.”- Leonard Maltin

The life of Jesus Christ is powerfully chronicled in this intelligent and gripping motion picture.

The producer of El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire and the director of Rebel Without a Cause and 55 Days at Peking team for this powerful, moving tale of the life of Christ that’s rich in scale, set against the tumult of Roman occupation and filled with notable performances by Jeffrey Hunter (Jesus), Rip Torn (Judas), Harry Guardino (Barabbas) and others. From the Nazarene’s humble birth to his nomadic ministry, from the teachings to murderous conspiracies, from death on a cross to resurrection -- key events of 33 years that changed the world are here. An epic that both entertains and ennobles,King of Kings wears its crown with reverence and strength.

Special Features:

• Vintage Featurette: The Camera's Window of the World
  • King of Kings - Impressive Premiere on Two Coasts
  • King of Kings: Egyptian Theater Premiere, Hollywood, CA
  • Trailer
  • Audio: English, French
  • Subtitles:  English SDH, French, and Latin Spanish

CHARLTON HESTON PRESENTS THE BIBLE

Genesis ▪ The Story of Moses ▪ Jesus of Nazareth ▪ The Passion

Street Date: March 29, 2011

Order Date: February 22, 2011

Language: English

NOT RATED

Title

Cat # / UPC

SRP

CHARLTON HESTON PRESENTS THE BIBLE: Genesis

Cat#: 1000177763

UPC: 883929168835

$12.97

CHARLTON HESTON PRESENTS THE BIBLE: The Story of Moses

Cat#: 1000177766

UPC: 883929168859

$12.97

CHARLTON HESTON PRESENTS THE BIBLE: Jesus of Nazareth

Cat#: 1000177864

UPC: 883929169153

$12.97

CHARLTON HESTON PRESENTS THE BIBLE: The Passion

Cat#: 1000177769

UPC: 883929168873

$12.97

KING OF KINGS (BLU-RAY DISC™)

Street Date: March 29, 2011

Order Date: February 22, 2011

Cat # / UPC: 1000183638 / 883929174508

SRP: $19.98

Run Time: 168 minutes

Language: English

MPAA Rating: PG-13

*All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,039 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 16 2010 - 03:46 AM

I might give "King Of Kings" a shot, I don't think I've ever seen it.  The others are a pass though.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Russell G 

I might give "King Of Kings" a shot, I don't think I've ever seen it.  The others are a pass though.

If you like biblical epics, it's definitely one of the better ones, IMO. And it's just great visually. This was a stunner when it came out on DVD, although looking at that disc now leaves a lot to be desired. I have high hopes for the bluray. Warner are great with catalog transfers, I just wish they would use the available space of their discs and employ higher bitrates.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 16 2010 - 03:54 AM

I remember enjoying King of Kings as a kid.  Went to see it a couple of times then, but I haven't seen it on any home video format.  So, this will be good.

Hoping for a really good presentation of the Miklos Rosza score.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,910 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

Hoping for a really good presentation of the Miklos Rosza score.

I second that. I sometimes think Miklos Rozsa contributed more to King Of Kings than anyone else. Not only in quality but also quantity. King Of Kings has almost wall to wall music.

When the movie first came out, towards the end of the cycle of juvenile delinquent/rebellion/disillusionment movies, it was irreverently referred to as I Was A Teenage Jesus.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:34 AM

It should look spectacular since it was filmed in Super Technirama 70 and they use that for the transfer.  I have always thought the DVD transfer was excellent and the sound was great. This is certainly a buy.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:47 AM

Whatever happened to "Ben Hur" is this not coming out in 2011 now?

Or will we have to wait until 2014 for the 55th anniversary?

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   kenNew

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:50 AM

With these two Biblical presentations both appearing from Warner at Easter, I wonder if this could affect the BD release of Ben-Hur which was also rumoured for Easter.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 05:18 AM

For a second I thought there was going to be a blu-ray of the DeMille silent version...when I saw it was the Jeffrey Hunter (aka "I was a Teenage Jesus") I promptly went "Meh"

I'll hold out for Ben Hur, but only if they have the '25 version included in HD.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,039 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 16 2010 - 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 

For a second I thought there was going to be a blu-ray of the DeMille silent version...when I saw it was the Jeffrey Hunter (aka "I was a Teenage Jesus") I promptly went "Meh"

I'll hold out for Ben Hur, but only if they have the '25 version included in HD.

The silent version could of been a great bonus!  Maybe Criterion will put it out, I think they did the DVD version.  I've never seen it.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Brianruns10

Brianruns10

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 07:11 AM

Yes, you're right CC did, and included the rarely seen roadshow version, which included an additional sequence in two-color Technicolor.  It'd be a great blu-ray release, and I hope CC considers it.

#12 of 15 ONLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted March 20 2011 - 05:26 PM

Working on the review now, but the short version is that King of Kings features near perfect A/V.  Don't hesitate to pick it up if you are a fan of the film.

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted March 20 2011 - 09:20 PM

Would it be region free?

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 21 2011 - 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Sharp 

Would it be region free?

I don't remember any Warner release not being region-free.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,910 posts

Posted March 21 2011 - 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden 

Working on the review now, but the short version is that King of Kings features near perfect A/V.  Don't hesitate to pick it up if you are a fan of the film.

Very good news indeed. Many thanks. I won't hesitate.