What's new

The Lucy Show: The Official Fourth Season ... Arrives on April 26th, 2011! (1 Viewer)

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The Lucy Show: The Official Fourth Season will be arriving on DVD on April 26th, 2011.

CBS has confirmed this on their facebook page.

List of episodes this season:

1. "Lucy and the Golden Greek" (episode #85)

2. "Lucy at Marineland" (episode #86)

3. "Lucy and Joan" (episode #87)

4. "Lucy, the Stuntman" (episode #88)

5. "Lucy In the Music World" (episode #89)

6. "Lucy Helps the Countess" (episode #90)

7. "Lucy and the Sleeping Beauty" (episode #91)

8. "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas" (episode #92)

9. "Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest" (episode #93)

10. "Lucy, the Undercover Agent" (episode #94)

11. "Lucy and the Return of Iron Man" (episode #95)

12. "Lucy Saves Milton Berle" (episode #96)

13. "Lucy Bags a Bargain" (episode #97)

14. "Lucy, the Choirmaster" (episode #98)

15. "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" (episode #99)

16. "Lucy and Art Linkletter" (episode #100)

17. "Lucy, the Rain Goddess" (episode #101)

18. "Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney" (episode #102)

19. "Lucy and the Soap Opera" (episode #103)

20. "Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premiere" (episode #104)

21. "Lucy Dates Dean Martin" (episode #105)

22. "Lucy and Bob Crane" (episode #106)

23. "Lucy, the Robot" (episode #107)

24. "Lucy and Clint Walker" (episode #108)

25. "Lucy, the Gun Moll" (episode #109)

26. "Lucy, the Superwoman" (episode #110)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cool.

It looks like The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy are following one another to the finish line.

In fact, with S4 of both shows due out so early in 2011, there may be a chance that they each finish their runs by Christmas 2011.

And if they do... do we start begging for Life With Lucy?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Cool news. Hopefully S4 will sell sufficiently for them to put out the remaining 2 seasons.

No comment on Life With Lucy. LOL.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

I don't think they are going to finish their runs in 2011. I mean .... six Lucy seasons in ONE year? If you have noticed, a pattern has already been set with three Lucy seasons being released per year. I think if we are lucky enough this year that we might see four seasons released. And it seems with CBS, that they are releasing The Lucy Show every five or so months so that means season five will probably see a release sometime in fall leaving season six for 2012.

Yeah, it would be nice to see Life with Lucy be released on DVD as well. Lucy's television series career wouldn't be complete without it.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It's been so many long years since Season 4 was shown uncut that I only have memories of it in the cut version.

So what I'm asking here might involve a scene that was cut from syndication.

What I want to know is, was there an episode where Mr. Mooney hired Lucy to work for him? It always seemed as if she was suddenly working for him, as if she always had been!

If there is such an episode, it has to be this season. Which episode is it?

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney

The Lucy Show: The Official Fourth Season will be arriving on DVD on April 26th, 2011.

CBS has confirmed this on their facebook page.

I am surpised that TVShowsonDVD hasn't reported this news. Maybe they are trying gather more information about this release from CBS/Paramount?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by MatthewA

So true! I saw ONE ep, and that was all I could stomach. Believe it or not, I'd probably buy the set if they put it out. But I'm a mashoch... uh... completist!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I thought "Life With Lucy" was horrible, too, but I'm sure I'd get it. Not sure WHY. Maybe a psychiatrist could explain it.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

I thought "Life With Lucy" was horrible, too, but I'm sure I'd get it. Not sure WHY. Maybe a psychiatrist could explain it.

Life with Lucy is not one of my favorites but I do like this Lucille Ball series. It was reminiscent of Here's Lucy with the show's two main characters working in the same setting and being related to each other by marriage. I found it interesting to see both Lucille Ball's character and Gale Gordon's character as grandparents and living in the same household with their children and grandchildren. This gives contrast to the last two previous Lucy series as their characters lived in their own houses. And I do like how Gale Gordon's character role changed with each Lucy series ....

In I Love Lucy - he was married, the boss of Lucy's husband for one year, and unrelated to her
In The Lucy Show - he was married, the boss of Lucy for three years, and unrelated to her

In Here's Lucy - he was single, the boss of Lucy for six years, and related to her

In Life with Lucy - he was widowed just like Lucy and single, an equal business partner with Lucy, and related to her

Another thing that I like about Life with Lucy is that the lyrics is included in the theme song (unlike the previous Lucy series including I Love Lucy). And I must say ... the theme song fits the show and the title character quite well. Because you know with Lucy, life is never dull. And I find it quite ironic that this short-lived Lucy series ended up with thirteen filmed episodes - the same amount of filmed episodes that her first short-lived series, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, had.

Anyways ... even though Lucille Ball's 80s series was basically a flop when it originally aired, I am glad it came to be because it allowed me as a viewer to see the Lucy character in a different light.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I'm no psychiatrist, but I have endured enough bad Simpsons episodes to empathize with your plight. I guess it's the "fascinating flop" factor. Or perhaps you're just into rubbernecking.

I'd probably get it, too, as bad as it was. Being such a legendary flop (it was gone quickly enough for the then-terminally ill Desi Arnaz to see it get cancelled) might actually help its sales because there'll always be someone curious to see just how bad it is. If they can release Ishtar on Blu-Ray before that actually good Columbia picture set in the desert, they can do this. Although I wonder what they will do in terms of extras, since there's really no way to spin the show's production or reception positively. 25 years later it is still a frequent entry on "worst shows of all-time" list, although I wonder how many of the people who made those lists actually saw some of the more notorious flops; some just fill them with mediocre but well-known shows that they personally detest.

FrancisP

Screenwriter

Life with Lucy is not one of my favorites but I do like this Lucille Ball series. It was reminiscent of Here's Lucy with the show's two main characters working in the same setting and being related to each other by marriage. I found it interesting to see both Lucille Ball's character and Gale Gordon's character as grandparents and living in the same household with their children and grandchildren. This gives contrast to the last two previous Lucy series as their characters lived in their own houses. And I do like how Gale Gordon's character role changed with each Lucy series ....

In I Love Lucy - he was married, the boss of Lucy's husband for one year, and unrelated to her
In The Lucy Show - he was married, the boss of Lucy for three years, and unrelated to her

In Here's Lucy - he was single, the boss of Lucy for six years, and related to her

In Life with Lucy - he was widowed just like Lucy and single, an equal business partner with Lucy, and related to her

Another thing that I like about Life with Lucy is that the lyrics is included in the theme song (unlike the previous Lucy series including I Love Lucy). And I must say ... the theme song fits the show and the title character quite well. Because you know with Lucy, life is never dull. And I find it quite ironic that this short-lived Lucy series ended up with thirteen filmed episodes - the same amount of filmed episodes that her first short-lived series, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, had.

Anyways ... even though Lucille Ball's 80s series was basically a flop when it originally aired, I am glad it came to be because it allowed me as a viewer to see the Lucy character in a different light.

[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, Desi Arnez originally wanted Gale Gordon to play Fred Mertz but he was not available. He originally wanted Gordon to play the banker in the first season of The Lucy Show but Gale Gordon was unavailable until the second season. He was the perfect protagonist for Lucille Ball.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

... her first short-lived series, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour ...

I don't think it's fair to call that a "short-lived" series. The first year they were approximately bi-monthly specials known as "The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show." The next two years they were part of the "Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse." That's three years -- and, as you know, they only stopped making them because the stars got divorced!

They were hugely successful -- the first five were the five highest rated specials of the 1957-58 season.

It wasn't called "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" until CBS reran all 13 of them as a weekly series in the summer of 1962 (and through 1967, except for 1966).

So it can be said those hours were shown on the network, at irregular intervals, for a period of ten years! Hardly "short-lived"!

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

I don't think it's fair to call that a "short-lived" series. The first year they were approximately bi-monthly specials known as "The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show." The next two years they were part of the "Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse." That's three years -- and, as you know, they only stopped making them because the stars got divorced!

They were hugely successful -- the first five were the five highest rated specials of the 1957-58 season.

It wasn't called "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" until CBS reran all 13 of them as a weekly series in the summer of 1962 (and through 1967, except for 1966).

So it can be said those hours were shown on the network, at irregular intervals, for a period of ten years! Hardly "short-lived"!

[/QUOTE]

It was a short-lived series in terms of the number of the episodes it had.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thinking of it as a series is the problem. But the way its released it looks like a series. But its really 5 specials a year released 1-2 months apart. A series is weekly. As pointed out it last 3 years and would have lasted much longer had they not divorced. So it was not short lived. It could have run for 6 years and had only 30 episodes. Would that make it short lived as well?

[/QUOTE]

It was a short-lived series in terms of the number of the episodes it had.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator

What I want to know is, was there an episode where Mr. Mooney hired Lucy to work for him? It always seemed as if she was suddenly working for him, as if she always had been!

If there is such an episode, it has to be this season. Which episode is it?

Lucy is hired at the beginning of the episode "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas". Her first assignment is to bring some papers over to the TV studio, where Danny Thomas happens to be rehearsing. The entire opening scene was cut from the Nick-at-nite version.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I won't be picking up any more of these sets. In fact I've already got buyer's remorse from purchasing Season 3 (which has been pretty brutal). It just blows me away how much my family and I loved Season 1, were lukewarm to Season 2, and have been mostly disappointed with Season 3.

Gary "but always happy for those that want more releases" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
No show in history jumped the shark as badly as "The Lucy Show." And although Season 3 could get, as you say, brutal, it's a comedy classic compared to Season 4 (and 5 and 6 -- and all of "Here's Lucy.")

When Lucille Ball went from great to lousy, she didn't fool around! A good case could be made that she, herself, had no comedy sense at all, which seems very strange -- but there's plenty of evidence for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks