Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: The Times of Harvey Milk (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,624 posts

Posted December 15 2010 - 07:53 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:14 AM

Okay, I don't know if I've ever seen this: a 100% RT score from critics (16 fresh out of 16, 8.3/10 score) plus an average viewer rating of 4.2/5.  Those are pretty high numbers.  I'll put off trying to track down a copy on Netflix until the BD hits in March.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:14 AM

Awesome news. LOVE this documentary.  Thought it was infinitely better than Milk.  Can't wait to get this.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 16 2010 - 06:56 AM

I really liked Milk, so I'm pretty tempted on this one...

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,320 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted December 16 2010 - 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMor 

Awesome news. LOVE this documentary.  Thought it was infinitely better than Milk.  Can't wait to get this.

I refuse at any time or place to watch Milk because of Sean Penn, but I'm definitely interested in this.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted December 16 2010 - 12:31 PM

I found Milk to be kind of a reworking of this doc, down to some sequences even. Although I thought Sean Penn's performance was wonderful and the true high point of the film.  It's not that Milk was a bad film, just a pale imitation of this IMO. And I found this doc to be among the most moving I've ever seen.  I love documentaries and this is definitely my favorite.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 16 2010 - 02:00 PM

Some nice supplements. I'll probably get this.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,320 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted December 16 2010 - 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by JohnMor 

I found Milk to be kind of a reworking of this doc, down to some sequences even. Although I thought Sean Penn's performance was wonderful and the true high point of the film.  It's not that Milk was a bad film, just a pale imitation of this IMO. And I found this doc to be among the most moving I've ever seen.  I love documentaries and this is definitely my favorite.

The sad thing is that more people saw that on opening day than will ever see this film. I have only seen parts of this documentary (I had the laserdisc that I bought off eBay for cheap) but not the whole thing.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,628 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 17 2010 - 12:32 AM

The laserdisc is the only version of the film that I've owned, so I'm looking forward to this Blu-ray release a lot.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted December 17 2010 - 03:48 AM

Like most of the Criterion announcements this month: it's a good movie, but not one I have any need to own.