Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker upgrade: sides or rears?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted December 13 2010 - 04:54 AM

After upgrading from a 5.1 to a 7.1 system, and upgrading the front l/r speakers, I now have the opportunity to upgrade either the sides or the rears, but not both. Given that that the sides are rears are currently at about the same level of mediocrity, and realizing that there will be sonic inconsistency until the other can be upgraded as well, would there be a significant advantage to either sides or rears for the initial upgrade? TIA for any advice.

...And then there's the guy who saw the sign that said "Wet Floor", so he did.

#2 of 7 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted December 13 2010 - 08:45 AM

I would upgrade the sides first. They have a lot more sound going to them than the rears do.

#3 of 7 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,131 posts

Posted December 13 2010 - 12:38 PM

Definitely the sides.  A lot of DVDs aren't even recorded in 7.1.

#4 of 7 Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted December 14 2010 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the advice, Jim & Al. I was assuming for 5.1 presentations that the sides and the rears get the same sounds -- is that correct? That's why I wasn't sure which would be more advantageous.

...And then there's the guy who saw the sign that said "Wet Floor", so he did.

#5 of 7 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted December 14 2010 - 09:27 AM

The rears will only get sound sent to them if the Blu-ray is recorded in 7.1(which not many are yet). I don't have a 7.1 receiver, but I think the rears would also get sound if you use the "All Stereo" mode or whatever your receiver calls it.

#6 of 7 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,790 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 15 2010 - 02:26 AM

I have a 7.1 setup in my basement.  Had I known when I set it up how little program material is out there that is natively 7.1, I might not have bothered.

Consequently, the nearly 15 year old PSB Alpha bookshelf speakers that were the first speakers I ever got (and used to be my fronts way back when) are relegated to rear surrounds and won't be upgraded in the foreseeable future.  I stopped upgrading my speakers when I got a pair of nice bipole surrounds.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 7 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 15 2010 - 03:00 AM

I listen to blu rays and dvds the way they are recorded. But I listen to tv in 7.1 using Dolby Pro Logic IIx setting. It sounds pretty good.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users