Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF TOP 30 MUST OWN 3D TITLES

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1634 replies to this topic

#1621 of 1635 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,346 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 10 2014 - 09:52 AM

Go for it Steve!😃
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#1622 of 1635 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,397 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 10 2014 - 09:59 AM

I was hoping Ron might go for it. :)

Problem with the top 30 is that you get a 2D converted film like The Wizard of Oz, which admittedly was surprisingly effective, higher up than some genuine 3D titles. It's based on personal taste but than so is a top 50 or 100 with 5 star ratings, unless more people contribute.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefĂŒhl es... Ich bin gefĂŒhl es... Ich bin Ă€ngstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfĂ€hig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#1623 of 1635 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,346 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted November 10 2014 - 01:32 PM

Ron is a busy guy as he has said and this thread is his baby.

I don't think he cares if someone starts one of the proposed threads , do you Ron?
  • Johnny Angell likes this
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#1624 of 1635 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,343 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 10 2014 - 02:35 PM

I was hoping Ron might go for it. :)

Problem with the top 30 is that you get a 2D converted film like The Wizard of Oz, which admittedly was surprisingly effective, higher up than some genuine 3D titles. It's based on personal taste but than so is a top 50 or 100 with 5 star ratings, unless more people contribute.

I don't see a problem with rating a movie based on the effectiveness of the 3D experience. If a converted film is better than a native 3D film, that's the way the cookie crumbles. IMHO.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#1625 of 1635 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,397 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 10 2014 - 03:01 PM

Ron is a busy guy as he has said and this thread is his baby.

I don't think he cares if someone starts one of the proposed threads , do you Ron?

I can't remember the last time I started a thread Tino, maybe a decade ago? :) But I think the general consensus is things staying exactly the way they are. A more complete list of 3D titles in alphabetical order with ratings would have been more useful, IMO.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefĂŒhl es... Ich bin gefĂŒhl es... Ich bin Ă€ngstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfĂ€hig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#1626 of 1635 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,276 posts

Posted November 11 2014 - 03:59 AM

Gents,

Firstly, any of you are free to post your own Top XX 3D list.  We want you guys to

post things like that here.

Yes, that list is basically the opinion of one person -- myself.  The list is obviously

not perfect.  I don't get to watch everything released to 3D, though I am proud of

the fact I have watched most of the major releases.  When you guys find something

particularly good, I don't hesitate to purchase it.  T.S. Spivet is the perfect example

of a title I would have never seen if not for the recommendations of HTF members.

All the titles on the list are exceptional 3D releases.  There are well over 100 3D titles

available to purchase and I have only captured the Top 30.  So, everything on that list

is an ultimate recommendation.  Therefor, trying to determine what title deserves a

#3 over a #6 placement has become a rather difficult process.  It's probably the reason

why I tweak the list every few months and move placements around.  The Top 10 titles

on that list are so comparable that it's almost impossible to accurately place one above

the other.

To make multiple lists is something I am not against, but at the same time, it just creates

more work.  Now, instead of maintaining one list, I am maintaining two -- one for live action

and one for animation.  Then, the idea has been presented to just do an alphabetical list

with ratings.  All great ideas, but much work to break down and maintain.

I am going to talk with Adam and see if we can do a member contributed Top List.  Just

off the top of my head, it would probably be a list of all the popular 3D releases that we populate

into a list.  Members can then vote on their favorite titles.   Not certain if this can be done, but

if it were doable, we would have a Top XX based on the opinions of many.

Until then, I hope you will bear with the list that is in place.  Again, not perfect.  However, a

reasonably good buying guide.  

Any of you are welcome to post your own lists.  That is what this forum is here for. 

• Tino and DavidJ like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#1627 of 1635 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,580 posts

Posted November 11 2014 - 08:14 AM

I have seriously considered creating my own for those with projection systems because there is a significant difference in 3D effect between watching an image from 2.5+ screen widths away (typical TV) and <1.5 screen widths away (typical projection) but I only have 35ish 3D movies so my list would hardly be any longer than Ron's top list and several I own are bad 3D for the big screen.  I don't like paying the big premium for 3D blus when they cost about $0.50 to add to the 2D version so my 3D buying has greatly curtailed in the last year to the point of 1 or 2 a year, maybe.  Also I have had enough experience viewing top quality conversions on a large screen to skip adding any more to my personal collection except when I want the title and the 3D is within $2 or less of the 2D so I would rarely rate those on my own nickel.

Then there is the level of effort and commitment needed.  I applaud Ron and everyone else who is constantly creating new reviews / bargain lists and whatnot.  What a commitment of time for others' benefit.  I'm not sure I could commit enough time to maintaining such a thread even if I were loaned one new movie every two to four weeks for review.  That and my reviews would be much shorter and pale in comparison to what Ron does.  So it is an idea that sounds much better in my head than it does in reality.

I would love it if it were somehow possible to create a thread where most/all 3D titles are listed separately and forum members could rate them as they see it, like a poll, that would show the overall rating of the community but I think that is far beyond what is possible with the forum software.

#1628 of 1635 OFFLINE   cb1

cb1

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts
  • LocationD/FW, TX

Posted November 12 2014 - 04:42 AM

well, being that I'm a newbie in the 3d bluray world, this list has helped me a lot decide what I would like to try out. One could say it is my "go to" reference list.  

If there was another list based on genre, that would be another excellent tool for newbies like me. LOL  Being that 3d is more expensive, any type of list showing what is "good, bad or ugly" would help the budget minded viewer to choose wisely.

either way, excellent idea! and I enjoy this thread/web site totally.  Drinks all around!! :cheers:

Thanks!
Chris

#1629 of 1635 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,276 posts

Posted November 12 2014 - 05:12 AM

Chris, thank you!!!

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#1630 of 1635 OFFLINE   Panman40

Panman40

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted November 13 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't think I said I disagree with the list, far from it from a 3D point of view, i own 130 odd 3D titles but for me live action is quite different than animation but I understand time is precious. I make my own mind up what's good 3D and whats not, indeed a few conversions 'Titanic to name one' is very good indeed, some native 3D is terrible with just minimal depth and no pop out whatsoever.

#1631 of 1635 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,586 posts

Posted November 13 2014 - 12:02 PM

POPULAR

Ron, with your blessing, I think I'll start a Top Ten Must Own Vintage 3-D on Blu-ray list.

Should I start a separate thread or post it here?

• Paul Hillenbrand, Reed Grele and Stephen_J_H like this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#1632 of 1635 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,276 posts

Posted November 13 2014 - 12:18 PM

What a great idea, Bob!

Do a new fresh post and I will make certain it gets pinned to the top of the forum

Send me a private email alerting me when it is done.

• Reed Grele and Bob Furmanek like this

Ronald J Epstein

#1633 of 1635 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 13 2014 - 12:27 PM

Let me place my vote for separate thread.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#1634 of 1635 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,276 posts

Posted November 13 2014 - 12:27 PM

Stephen,

No vote needed.  That's what we are doing.   :)

Ronald J Epstein

#1635 of 1635 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 14 2014 - 04:11 PM

If you look at the times, you'll see we were within minutes, nay seconds of each other. I concur.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users