Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
bluray3d-png.272

HTF TOP 30 3D BLU-RAY RELEASES
HTF 3D ADDICT Reviewer Ron Epstein picks his favorite 3D releases. These are the titles that he feels give the viewer the biggest WOW factor, and certainly demo worthy when showing off your 3D system to friends and family. These are not necessarily the top rated picks of the HTF membership or staff. These titles will be updated regularly so please check back oftenNote: Some reviewed titles have been issued placement demerits due to crosstalk. However, please be aware that different display technologies may not produce the same results. Crosstalk is a problem related to certain displays, not the disc.Please don’t observe the numbering system as “absolute.” It’s very hard to place these very best 3D titles in perfect order. Consider this list to be the very best 3D titles that are available and worthy of your purchase consideration.​

Updated October 31, 2023

Continue reading...

Attachments

• monsters100.jpg
    monsters100.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 21,821
  • toystory100.jpg
    toystory100.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 21,925
  • monstersaliens100.jpg
    monstersaliens100.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 21,892
  • born100.jpg
    born100.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 21,687
  • deepsea100.jpg
    deepsea100.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 21,861
  • undersea100.jpg
    undersea100.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 20,115
  • stepup100.jpg
    stepup100.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 20,033
  • journey100.jpg
    journey100.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 21,598
  • sammy100.jpg
    sammy100.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 25,093
  • lifeofpi100.jpg
    lifeofpi100.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 23,001
  • madagascar100.jpg
    madagascar100.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 22,697
  • titanic100.jpg
    titanic100.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 22,682
  • hugo100.jpg
    hugo100.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 22,566
  • classicmonsters100.jpg
    classicmonsters100.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 22,488
  • harold.jpg
    harold.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 19,174
  • nemo100.jpg
    nemo100.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 22,322
  • megamind100.jpg
    megamind100.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 22,307
  • despicable100.jpg
    despicable100.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 22,289
  • coraline100.jpg
    coraline100.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 22,043
  • yogi100.jpg
    yogi100.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 21,928
    6.9 KB · Views: 23,185
  • bluray3D.png
    bluray3D.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 37,109
  • oz100.jpg
    oz100.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 22,652
Last edited by a moderator:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just watched Coraline in 3D bluray and it was a real treat.
Great depth and lots of "in your face" moments.
Lots of beautiful colors too.
And no ghosting!

I'm going to watch Despicable Me on 3D bluray right now.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think it's a problem when you've reviewed nearly 20 titles and the 3 I'm most interested in are not available for purchase. Are they trying to kill 3D at home on purpose? The people buying now are early adopters and I think I bunch of these people would be interested in 3D movies from the 50's. Release Creature from the Black Lagoon and It Came from Outer Space in 3D and you'll here me pleading "Honey, now's the perfect time to upgrade to 3D."

Attaching films to hardware is short sighted, IMHO.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
You're right. There are a number of quality 3-D films made in the 50's which would most definitely help spur interest in owning a 3-D TV set - at least there'd be something to show off to your friends. They're not only live action (how many animated titles can one watch?) but the 3-D effect is more natural looking than most of the recent live action stereo films I've seen in the theatres recently. Mind you a lot of bad stuff was made to cash in on the 3-D boom in the 50's but I'd love to see the following titles made available on 3-D Blu-ray: the MGM musical Kiss Me Kate, Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder, Charles Bronson & Vincent Price in House of Wax, John Wayne & Geraldine Page in Hondo. Other lesser known 3-D titles could be packaged as double bills. The 3 Stooges made a couple of shorts in 3-D and even such stars as Bugs Bunny & Donald Duck appeared in a couple of 3-D cartoons. They could be used as added attractions to help sell some of the less known features such as Gun Fury with Rock Hudson and Miss Sadie Thompson with Rita Hayworth.

How about it Hollywood? You got 'em, we want 'em!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would probably pick up that Despicable Me 3D BD combo pack for the extra ~$10 (ie. ~50% premium) *IF* the 3D BD landscape looks much more promising than it is right now. But like others pointed out, things do not look good at all w/ this format launch so far -- and it doesn't look to change for the better anytime soon...

_Man_

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool
I would probably pick up that Despicable Me 3D BD combo pack for the extra ~$10 (ie. ~50% premium) *IF* the 3D BD landscape looks much more promising than it is right now. But like others pointed out, things do not look good at all w/ this format launch so far -- and it doesn't look to change for the better anytime soon...

_Man_
Check the HD Deals thread. You can get the 3D four disc pack from NBC with free shipping for a penny cheaper than the 3 disc pack at Amazon. I think the biggest problem now is a lack of titles. Most of the non-special interest documentary titles are tied to HW sales.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks, Adam.

Yeah, I saw your post in the Consolidated Bargains thread and went ahead and bit on that deal -- it's actually still a bit more than I originally wanted to spend on the BD (at ~$24 after tax), which is why I hadn't bought the regular BD combo pack sooner, but it's close enough, especially since the 3D disc is actually a separate disc. Hope the backorder wait doesn't turn out to be much longer than the stated 12/27 date (plus shipping time).

Not sure when I'd actually be able to give the 3D disc a whirl though...

Thanks again (and to ScottJH as well for the original heads up)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I wonder if the studios will eventually do 3D BD upgrade offers for those of us who already bought some of the 2D BD versions...

I could probably go for a $5-10 upgrade price for some titles if/when I do the needed hardware upgrades...

_Man_

DeeF

Screenwriter
Just a question. To get 3D, do you have to own a 3D Bluray player AND a 3D monitor? Why is that?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Dee!

The simple answer (and I am certain a more
technical one will follow) is that the 3D Blu-ray
player needs to have the ability to decode the
3D content to send to the 3D capable monitor.

Older Blu-ray players do not have the encoding
capability.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, the only older player that can (after software update) is the PS3 because it's just that much more powerful than standard standalones. So if you have a PS3, it can playback those discs in 3D (w/ some limitations nonetheless).

_Man_

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I know this recommended film is going to be groan inducing, but have you seen the Blu-ray release of Friday the 13th Part 3-D? Yes, the video quality (sharpness, clarity, detail, etc) is overall dreadful. However the 3-D is, in my opinion, unrivaled. I'm not kidding here, its truly outstanding. Fans of "in your face" 3-D quality are bound to be amazed. Shots of clothes on a line blowing towards the camera, poles, antennas, a baseball bat, a rake & a projectile spear (my favorite effect) went beyond the limits of the TV right onto the viewers lap! I was very surprized by how good these effects were. I'm guessing since the 3-D back in the day was "real" rather than digitally added, it makes that much of a difference. If I'm correct about that, then I'd love to see other older 3-D movies make their way to Blu-ray 3-D such as:

• House of Wax (1953)

• Jaws 3-D

• Parasite

• Treasure of the 4 Crowns

These may not be classics (except for House of Wax), but I do remember the 3-D for these films being very good at the time. I welcome any & all comments.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The best attribute of 3D is in the marketing. That and some occasionally superb software.

Unfortunately, the worst attribute of 3D is in the marketing.

The fact that those who invested in Samsung, Sony and other 3D systems can't simply order a copy of Avatar is simply wrong-headed.

Can you image a situation via which there might be competing systems, and if one wished to own HD software from various studios, you would have to have two players?

Same thing, only far more ridiculous. If anything is going to bring 3D down, this is it.

RAH

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
There are some films that I would love to see in 3D. Among them It Came From Outer Space and Creature from the Black Lagoon, which I saw at a double feature in 3D when I was a kid in the 70's. But also I'd KILL to see Dial M for Murder in 3D.

Beyond those there isn't much that gets me excited about the format.

Doug

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As I said in a 3D thread in the DVD section of the forum, Warners is sitting on three marvelous 3D classics: Dial 'M' for Murder, Kiss Me Kate and House of Wax. (I don't guess they own the rights to Hondo.) While we wait for new 3D films to come down the pike, why not make new 3D masters of these films for distribution on Blu-ray? I saw two of these at theaters during the 3D craze of the 1980s, but I've never seen Kiss Me Kate in 3D.

If 3D in the home is going to catch on, there has to be all kinds of product out there to tempt folks of all ages to dive into the format.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by MattH.
I saw two of these at theaters during the 3D craze of the 1980s, but I've never seen Kiss Me Kate in 3D.
Best 3D movie--ever! Bob Fosse dancing across the rooftops is a religious experience.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Larry Geller said:
Best 3D movie--ever! Bob Fosse dancing across the rooftops is a religious experience.
Having never seen it, naturally it's the one I most want to see. Come on, Warners! Do us all a favor and release this in 3D!

SergeiShadow

Agent
Real Name
Sergei Alenonov
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Wow...now I know why I'm NOT investing in 3d.

Doug
3D is very big joke even for someone with millions of dollars. Am not interested movie studios and not interested in Avatar. James Cameron cannot make good movies anymore. All is plagarism from Dances with Wolves Ferngully The Last Samurai The Smurfs Dune Pocahontas but set in space.
Yes, only reason why is top grossing movie currently is because the added fee for IMAX and 3D to watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks