What's new

What Brand speakers are best for in wall use (1 Viewer)

biggesnuck

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Yuki Hood
I'm building a theater room and I want the best in wall speakers I can find. I want to spend between $5K to $10K on my complete surround sound speaker system. I want to hear every crisp sound and feel every deep base. I will purchase a Denon receiver which I believe to be the best.

Thank You all

Kev

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I would start listening to Speakercraft. You may find that you will spend a lot less that you budgeted in order to get the sound that you want.

biggesnuck

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Yuki Hood
Mike, thanks for the advice on speakercraft. I went to their website and was lost as I didn't see many products. I read this is the oldest company making speakers, but they don't seem to be sold in Illinois where we live. Have you heard of Triad speakers? What do you think about this brand? I have to travel out of state to listen to speakercraft and I'm not too sure I want to do that to save a few dollars.

Do you have a speakercraft system in your home. From the prices, it seem speakercraft are not an high end speaker.

Thanks.

Kev

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Kev,

I have heard Speakercraft at two locations. The first time was in a local HT shop here in the Nashville area and the second was at Best Buy - Magnolia. I do not own them, but really like their full-bodied sound. Again, I consider them a great value - great sound for the money.

I have in-ceiling speakers and have never regreted changing from bookshelves to in-ceiling. I purchased the brand that was sold by Tweeter before they closed operations.

I have heard of Triad and after I saw your response, I went to their site. They certainly do have a wide varaiety of in-wall / in-ceiling speakers including subwoofers. I am certain you will find something there to listen to. Can you get to one of their locations for testing them? They do seem to be a high-end custom build oriented company.

I am interested as to why you are sold only on in-walls. I am helping a friend of mine put together a home theater and we determined that the in-ceilings were the best way to solve potential wall mounting issues where they have an opening into a kitchen area. Some folks like the clean look that in-ceiling/in-wall provide and that is really their greatest reason for being, I suppose.

biggesnuck

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Yuki Hood
Thanks Mike for your response and I appreciate the time and thoughts you put into helping me. To answers your questions...I'm not really sold on any speakers just yet. We have a place called Barretes here in Illinois where I can listen to the Triad brand. I have not found anywhere in Illinois where I can go listen to Speakercraft. I want a complete in wall system because I love the clean out of sight look of in walls units. You have peaked my interest in ceiling speakers now and my question is this...What are the differences from ceiling and in wall units?

I'm added a wing onto our home and the basement is where my theater room will be so I'll be starting from scratch so it will be easy to have all the speakers built out of sight. I'm positive I don't want any speakers on the floor or on the walls. My goal is to buy the best of every component so I don't have to worry about adding to the system. I purchased the new Black Diamond screen at 133" and although it cost $4K, this is the best screen on the market and I watch anything in any light and not have any issues.

There are other speakers I have listed, but I don't know about them either..Snell, Sonance,McIntosh and atlantic technology, but I can't find anyone who actual purchased any of the above. My research has brought me to JVC for my projectors, Denon for my receiver so right now, I'm trying to figure out the best speakers and subs.

Again, I thank you for your help and suggestions.

Kev

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Kev,

I am speaking in the broadest of terms when I state this and it will sound funny - The only difference between the in-ceiling and in-wall is this: In-ceiling are typically round (sometime oval/elliptical) speakers that are placed in the (horizontal) ceiling and in-wall are typically rectangular speakers that are placed in the vertical walls. You can have main drivers, surrounds and subs in-wall. I have seen in-ceiling main drivers and surrounds and, although I have never heard of one, I'm sure that you can find in-ceiling sub if you look hard enough or go DIY.

I have seen theater rooms where all of the speakers were in-ceiling with the exception of the subwoofer. The speakers were great (Speakercraft) and you actually couldn't tell that the sound was emanating from above in both front and back sound fields. This theater was setup just for in-ceilings because of the wall treatment they wanted to maintain in the room.

I think you are on the right track with Triad. Your desire to find out of the way, high performance speakers sounds like it will yield a really fun theater room.

I'm sure there are many that participate here in the forum that can guide you further with respect to in-wall / in-ceiling speakers.

Good luck.

AVES

Grip
Real Name
Frank
Hello HTF members -- you are correct to say that Speaker Craft do offer some noteworthy products at attractive prices. How do you feel about Definitive Technology? I particularly enjoy this brand b/c they cover a very wide spectrum of products, suitable for just about any HT installation. Their specifications and their prices arent too "out of this world".

Regards,

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks