What's new

Xbox 360 a good choice for a media streamer? (1 Viewer)

monsterenergy22

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Hello everyone,

We have been looking to get a media streamer set up with our HD TV in our living room to stream movies from our computer upstairs, as well as to watch on demand movies from Netflix. My first thought was either the ViewSonic NexTV VMP75 or the Western Digital WD TV Live Plus based on some positive reviews I read. I then was considering the Logitech Revue with Google TV but was disappointed with the reviews it was receiving. I then stumbled upon the article on AfterDawn "Stream Multimedia to Xbox 360 with TVersity".

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/stream_video_xbox_360_tversity.cfm

Since we just bought a Kinect for the TV down there, I thought this might be a viable solution since we would kill 2 birds with one stone. Any ideas on this and whether it is a good idea or not? Thanks for all of your help in advance!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you have an XBOX Live Gold account you can stream movies directly onto your XBOX without a PC. The XBOX can already stream a lot of different file types from your PC without any additional SW. I even stream AVCHD files from my camcorder to mine. What file types are you wanting to stream?

monsterenergy22

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for the reply! We do have an XBL Gold account and I mainly would be streaming AVI and MP4 files.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Check out this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/get-started/default.aspx

You may already have most of what you need to stream from your PC.

You might also try using this free Java-based UPnP server software on your PC:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ While it was specifically created for the PS3, it works fine with the Xbox 360 and IMO is a little easier to get going than TVersity.

Is this a good idea? YEAH! While the Xbox 360 is not quite as versatile as a WD media box, it doesn't cost you another $100 and will do 85% of the job.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you have any Windows 7 PC, they act as a great extender for Media Center (as above). And XBOX also reads UPNP and reads media shares from Windows Home Server, etc. But really, if you have any WIn7 PC anywhere in your house, it is great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks