Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Inception Blu-ray "Skips"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   JDR22

JDR22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 10 2010 - 05:08 AM

I just picked up the Inception blu-ray (it looks fantastic, by the way), but an odd thing happens and I want to see if anyone else is experiencing this. During the beginning of the film when the dream begins to collapse, there is a noticeable micro-second "skip", almost like DVDs used to do when switching layers.  It happens right after the roof falls on a guy in Saito's dream, right before they dunk Cobb in the bathwater.  It also happened on at least one other occasion a little bit after that.  I wasn't able to sit and watch the entire film, so I don't know if it happens any more.  It's small, but very annoying, and it takes me out of the scene when it happens. Is anyone else having this issue?  I want to know if I need to exchange the disc.  Thanks in advance!

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,175 posts

Posted December 10 2010 - 08:18 AM

If you rewind, does it happen in the same spot again? If so, it's probably the disc and needs to be exchanged. Mine played flawlessly.

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   JDR22

JDR22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 10 2010 - 09:23 AM

Yes, it happens at the same places every time.  I'm definitely exchanging it.  I'll update when I get the new disc.  Thanks!

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 358 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted December 10 2010 - 09:46 AM

I don't think mine skipped, but about 1 hour and 45 in, when they are battling in the mountains, the sound suddenly cut out. I restored it by cycling through the various sound options until "English" came up again. Don't know if it was a player issue that is temporary or whether it's yet another case of my Samsung 2550 messing up. I will play it again in a day or so and see if it still happens. Samsung is damned slow with the firmware upgrades, btw, so keep that in mind when you purchase.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   JDR22

JDR22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 10 2010 - 10:55 AM

I'm using the Samsung BD-C6500.  I must say, I'm not real fond of the player.  It's slow and freezes at times.  It gets the job done, but I don't think I would ever buy one again.  I may look at an Oppo in the future.

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted December 10 2010 - 03:40 PM

Jacob, I've been using the BD-C6500 pretty heavily for the past six months, and I've never had a single problem with it.  Perhaps yours is defective...?

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   DWP0809

DWP0809

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 12 2010 - 04:56 AM

Where did you buy this bluray?  I got mine at Walmart and it skips in the exact point you mentioned, except instead of a pause it skips back to the beginning of the movie.  When I rewind the movie it plays fine, this is annoying.  Did you exchange your disc and if so does your new disc play?

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   JDR22

JDR22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 12 2010 - 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Craig Beam 

Jacob, I've been using the BD-C6500 pretty heavily for the past six months, and I've never had a single problem with it.  Perhaps yours is defective...?

Craig - It may be defective, but I'm out of warranty.  It's most consistent when playing DVD and Blu-ray discs.  Netflix is a crap shoot, and it locks up my player a lot.  I actually prefer my Wii with a component cable to stream Netflix, it's much faster.

Originally Posted by DWP0809 

Where did you buy this bluray?  I got mine at Walmart and it skips in the exact point you mentioned, except instead of a pause it skips back to the beginning of the movie.  When I rewind the movie it plays fine, this is annoying.  Did you exchange your disc and if so does your new disc play?

DWP0809 - I bought mine at Target in Clovis, CA.  I did exchange the disc, but the exact same issue happens.  I want to try it on a different player, I'm wondering if mine is being affected by the Extraction Mode branching queues.  I also tried different sound modes on my surround receiver, and the glitches still happen consistently.  I can actually live with it, it's just annoying.  However, mine doesn't skip around the movie.  That is definitely unacceptable.  I will update if I get new info.

Thanks guys!

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,054 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 12 2010 - 07:29 AM

It sounds like you guys need a firmware update to deal with this.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 613 posts
  • LocationHancock, MA - The Berkshires

Posted December 13 2010 - 01:51 AM

Not to get too far off topic, but I couldn't find another Inception thread so here goes:  What is up with the digital copy being download only?  It took 5 hours over our DSL connection to download it.  I haven't seen any other titles that require this (don't buy every new release).  This is a 3 disc package including DVD.  I'd think they could have squeezed it in there somewhere.  Is it just me?
Dave

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   JDR22

JDR22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 13 2010 - 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt 

It sounds like you guys need a firmware update to deal with this.

You may be right.  The player is up to date as I speak.  I'm going to try the disc on a different player to see if the same thing happens.

Originally Posted by David_Jr 

Not to get too far off topic, but I couldn't find another Inception thread so here goes:  What is up with the digital copy being download only?  It took 5 hours over our DSL connection to download it.  I haven't seen any other titles that require this (don't buy every new release).  This is a 3 disc package including DVD.  I'd think they could have squeezed it in there somewhere.  Is it just me?

You would think with all the storage space on a blu-ray, they would have a file on the disc.  Oh well.  :-)

ISSUE UPDATE: While watching the movie again last night with my wife, the skips were more frequent and in different places (and NOT in all of the same places as before).  I have a sneaky suspicion that the player is not updated.  I'll update if anything new arises.

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   JDR22

JDR22

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 13 2010 - 06:16 AM

I have played the disc on an Integra DBS-30.1 player, and it plays flawlessly.  I have little doubt now that my player is the culprit. Hopefully the next firmware update will fix it, whenever that is...

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted December 13 2010 - 07:22 AM

It's definitely a player issue.   I have similar problems with every Warner disc I have seen that has a branching "In-Movie-Experience" feature, such as "Sherlock Holmes" and "Watchmen."  I haven't watched my copy of "Inception" yet but I anticipate I'll have a similar experience.  I'm using the Samsung BD-P3600 and it is not at all fond of seamless branching.  I'm running the most recent firmware but Samsung has yet to fix this issue.  I've also had branching hang-ups on Star Trek: TOS and Avatar CE.  Oddly, I don't recall noticing any branching problems with the Alien Anthology discs.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted December 14 2010 - 05:14 AM

I can also confirm this is a Samsung player issue.  I have a BD-P4600 and have encountered the same issue, not just on 'Inception' but on numerous other BDs.  A slight 'hiccup' occurs and the sound drops out, followed by the picture scrambling to 'keep up.'  From that point forward the audio is often out of sync with the video.  I then have to do a quick rewind/scan and then press play again to re-sequence the audio and video. In particular regards to Inception, the film hiccuped in two distinct places.  I don't exactly recall the second place, but the first was indeed in the Castle/Opening sequence.  Both times it occurred were during scenes with sudden, loud audio (momentous, dramatic scenes), so it is very distracting. I will not purchase a Samsung BD player again.  While the Netflix compatibility has been nice, incompatibility issues abound (there was a time when all Lionsgate blu rays glitched, and we had to wait weeks for Samsung to release their patch).  The Samsung reps who deal with the public (most notably on the CNET forums) are trained to never admit there is a problem until after a patch is released, so timetables for new firmware is nearly impossible to come by. Another word of advice for anyone experiencing loading issues.  Disable BD-Live.  In 95% of cases, that will fix your problem.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,540 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 14 2010 - 06:04 AM

Watched the first half hour closely last night, and no problems on a Panasonic.BDT-107.

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   jsreid

jsreid

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 04 2011 - 03:25 PM

I just watched Inception on a Samsung BD-C6500 and it got out of sync twice. I had to go back a scene and fast forward to where I was to get it in sync again. The firmware is updated too.

#17 of 27 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,486 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 05 2011 - 12:18 AM

I watched it on a Sony BD-360 and had no problems at all with it.

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 03:14 AM

This also happened on my parents' Insignia player.  The skips occur at points where the "Extraction Mode" branching segments would play, even if you aren't watching it with "Extraction Mode."

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,213 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 05 2011 - 03:45 AM

No problems playing Inception on my Sony BDP-S350, and it was a rental disc. This has to be a player problem.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   jimmymac13

jimmymac13

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 11:28 AM

I have a sound issue also which I asked about in a previous post wondering if it was my player. Right after the chase/shooting scene, they went into a warehouse and started arguing about what had happened. That is where my sound just quits on me. I pause, then hit play again, and the sound is back. It also did it in the same place the next time. Very irritating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users