Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Quality receiver on a modest budget?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 dwidmann

dwidmann

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 02:18 PM

First time poster here... this is where google led me :)

Courtesy of my current receiver probably failing(onkyo ht rc160, composite and component inputs don't work reliably anymore ... wouldn't be surprised seeing as it runs practically hot enough to fry eggs) I'm in the market for a new one. I would need at least 3 hdmi ins, 2 composite ins, and one component in, an hdmi out, 5.1 speaker setup. If it ran cool that would be a plus. What's a good buy?

#2 of 12 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted December 09 2010 - 07:16 PM

Give us your budget so we can help you out. Do you want to avoid Onkyo?

#3 of 12 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,803 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 10 2010 - 01:51 AM

Keep in mind when shopping that since you are using analog video inputs as well as HDMI a model that features analog-to-digital upconversion of all video inputs to be output via HDMI would be a good idea.  This ensures you only need a single HDMI cable running from receiver to TV so you won't ever have to switch inputs on the TV.

I know on the Onkyo line, this feature is on the 608 and up models, but am not sure about other brands.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 12 dwidmann

dwidmann

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 10 2010 - 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Mcc 

Give us your budget so we can help you out. Do you want to avoid Onkyo?

Umm, same price (around $250-300) would be affordable, definitely not over $500 though. Brand doesn't really matter much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Charlton 

Keep in mind when shopping that since you are using analog video inputs as well as HDMI a model that features analog-to-digital upconversion of all video inputs to be output via HDMI would be a good idea.  This ensures you only need a single HDMI cable running from receiver to TV so you won't ever have to switch inputs on the TV.

I know on the Onkyo line, this feature is on the 608 and up models, but am not sure about other brands.

My current one did that also. I'll keep that in mind.

#5 of 12 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted December 11 2010 - 04:57 AM

I'm surprised that your onkyo ht rc160 is failing.  Onkyo makes good stuff for the most part, I've had nothing but good experience with the brand over the years.  There are some great deals to be had online on older and refurbished models.  One of my favorite sites is www.accessories4less.com - they have great deals on Marantz and Onkyo stuff there.

Good luck!

Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#6 of 12 JoeCool6972

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted December 11 2010 - 05:49 AM

Now can be a great time to look. Stores and websites will be closing out this year's models. Check Ebay as well. I got my Yamaha receiver there two years ago from Best buy's Ebay store. Retailed for $599, I paid $180. Brand new in box.

#7 of 12 dwidmann

dwidmann

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 29 2010 - 07:44 AM

Okay, I've got my eye fixed on the Pioneer VSX-1020-K right now. Anybody have any thoughts on it? (it's going for $360 on Amazon right now.)

#8 of 12 Dantigua

Dantigua

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 29 2010 - 09:39 AM

i'm thinking of getting the same receiver dwidd.... seems like great value and has 6 HDMI ports!!

#9 of 12 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,677 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 29 2010 - 09:45 AM

The Pioneer 1020 and their lesser receivers are a bit low on the power side, regardless of what they say or want you to think. They should be strong enough for 90% of the people out there but if you have a really big room or speakers with low sensetivity, say 86 or less, then you might want to reconsider. Pioneers do run very cool however, and the features and sound quality are supposed to be excellent.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#10 of 12 dwidmann

dwidmann

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 29 2010 - 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by gene c 

The Pioneer 1020 and their lesser receivers are a bit low on the power side, regardless of what they say or want you to think. They should be strong enough for 90% of the people out there but if you have a really big room or speakers with low sensetivity, say 86 or less, then you might want to reconsider. Pioneers do run very cool however, and the features and sound quality are supposed to be excellent.

I don't think power will be an issue, in fact, this one has more power than my old receiver, and it had plenty enough. Excellent to hear that these units run cool! (I was seriously considering zip tying a case fan to the next one if it was going to run hot too)

#11 of 12 dwidmann

dwidmann

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 09:25 AM

I went with the 1020K and I'm *quite* pleased with it :)

#12 of 12 Dantigua

Dantigua

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 12:27 AM

just got my 1020 - set it  up... very impressed... i love it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users