-

Photo
- - - - -

TRON: Legacy - by Daft Punk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts

Posted December 09 2010 - 01:50 PM

The soundtrack score by French musicians Daft Punk was released this week, an exciting blend of techno-electronica, and traditional orchestral score, is at once loud, pulsating, and brash, and bold, and swelling with the power of the instruments of a talented orchestra. I have enjoyed the original Tron score for its blend of 80's techno (early) and the talents of more traditional orchestra, but Tron: Legacy is filled with more embraceable leitmotif's, rambunctious pulses of throbbing electronica, and an altogether more epic feeling score than I was expecting. I can hear traces of Massive Attack's Unleashed (or Danny the Dog as the film was called in the UK), and even a little Howard Shore from his Fly days (just a hint, though).

This is a great blend of scoring styles. It isn't heavy or preoccupied with its techno roots, but it does not try to become an orchestral score just for the sake of it. I have been traveling alot this week by car, giving me plenty of time to spin this on my long drives, and it has been a great listen.

Has anyone else picked this score up and given it a spin?

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 337 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted December 09 2010 - 03:10 PM

I should be getting this in the mail tomorrow, along with Voyage of the Dawn Treader,  While I've been hearing mixed things about Tron:  Legacy the movie itself, everyone has been pretty much unanimous in their praise of the score.  I'm really looking forward to it!

- Mark

#3 of 9 Guest_sf781_*

Guest_sf781_*

Posted December 12 2010 - 11:37 AM

I've been listening to the soundtrack for the past week or so. I love it, definitely up there for my favorite soundtrack of the year alongside Inception and The Social Network.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 13 2010 - 01:29 PM

I bought this on release day and have listened to it 3 or 4 times since then. I can't wait to see it in combination with the visuals, as it is already truly cinematic.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 02:29 AM

Can't believe that the major UK retailers have already deleted the 2 disc special edition.

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts

Posted February 28 2011 - 06:25 AM

There's a Tron: Reconfigured disc slated for release on April 5th - Looks like remixes of the score by prominant DJ's, so it has real promise. I've preordered so here's hopingits good!

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#7 of 9 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts

Posted April 09 2011 - 02:05 PM

I've been listening to Tron: Reconfigured since it arrived Tuesday and I really like what the guest artists have come up with - some genuinely solid variations and meditations of Daft Punks original score... Gets a thumbs up from me.
My DVD Collection

#8 of 9 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,627 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 10 2011 - 07:21 AM

http://itunes.apple....red/id426251101

http://www.amazon.co...463249&sr=301-1

$8 on Amazon

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#9 of 9 ONLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,561 posts

Posted May 28 2011 - 04:34 PM

Love, love, love the Tron Legacy score!  Was something to behold listening to as part of the movie in an IMAX 3D presentation, and is spectacular on its own at home.  I was utterly shocked that it didn't get a Best Score nomination at the Oscars.. I mean, doesn't make a difference as far as my enjoyment goes, but I'm shocked that it wasn't given more critical notice.

As more of a random observation: I love that for the trailers for the film, they were able to use bits of the Daft Punk score instead of the traditional temp tracks used for most trailers.

It's a little annoying that all sorts of bonus tracks have been issues on different services and in different territories, but I've been able to find most of them.  This would be a score I'd gladly pay a premium for to have a deluxe version that included every bit of music that was in the film.

And I truly wish the Blu-ray had included a music-and-effects-only track - I understand that studios don't like to do it anymore because it can mess up soundtrack sales (or so they claim) and cost them extra royalty payments, but if there was ever a movie that screamed out for it, it was this one.

I don't think I've ever liked anything Daft Punk has ever done before, but what they did on this movie was nothing short of stunning.