-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Fantasia -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
174 replies to this topic

#161 of 175 BCGHR2

BCGHR2

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted December 26 2010 - 08:03 AM

The Disney restoration team does seek out IB Tech prints for reference (I know they found them on BAMBI, SNOW WHITE, 101 DALMATIONS, JUNGLE BOOK, SLEEPING BEAUTY, LADY, DUMBO) and also do extensive research at the Animation Research Library to see what the surving cells and BGs look like since the negatives are b/w sucessive exposure and that has to be factored in during color timing.  Everything I've heard is that they take great pains to research and engage in long debates about the color.

#162 of 175 Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted December 26 2010 - 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by BCGHR2 

The Disney restoration team does seek out IB Tech prints for reference (I know they found them on BAMBI, SNOW WHITE, 101 DALMATIONS, JUNGLE BOOK, SLEEPING BEAUTY, LADY, DUMBO) and also do extensive research at the Animation Research Library to see what the surving cells and BGs look like since the negatives are b/w sucessive exposure and that has to be factored in during color timing.  Everything I've heard is that they take great pains to research and engage in long debates about the color.

All of which counts for nothing when the people making the decisions refer to some of the original creators as "the geezer show" and only feign interest in what they have to say.

#163 of 175 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted December 26 2010 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGHR2 

The Animation Research library only has color reference for cels post Cinderella. All of the nitrate cels were put in barrels and buried at the Golden Oak ranch back in the late sixties. However, the great pains and research doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. Every version of Alice looks different than the one before it and Sleeping Beauty is one of the worst color balances since the glow in the dark Turner version of Gone With The Wind. I'm very glad to hear that Disney is engaged in film preservation. A digital scan is not the same as a film print projected in a theater using a film projector. The Universal fire kicked a big hole in the available film prints for rental. Hopefully, Disney is in the process of reversing their previous trend towards only offering digital projection of older films. The UCLA Film and Television Archive is overladed with elements from studios that aren't farsighted enough to preserve film as film.

#164 of 175 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts

Posted December 26 2010 - 02:37 PM

Merry Christmas!  My wife got me the Fantasia Anthology DVD set (to replace the one I sold last year), plus the Culhane book too!  No more hassling with that ill-conceived "Vault" crap.

I'd forgotten how substantial the DVD set looks and feels... what a classy package.  I once called it the "crown jewel" of my DVD collection.... now I remember why.  I don't mind the space it takes on my shelf, right next to the blu-ray.

#165 of 175 poddie

poddie

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 28 2010 - 06:45 PM

So can anyone comment on the assertion by the Ultimate Disney review that the Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray actually includes all the Legacy bonus features encoded on the disc, but simply does not allow access to them from the menus?  It says that if you have a PC Blu-ray drive (I do not), you can find all the material on the disc and play it directly.

I've been searching for confirmation of this but have yet to find any...

I detest the decision to make the extras BD-Live only... I really hope Disney does not find this method successful enough to screw its customers again next time.

#166 of 175 urbo73

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by poddie 

So can anyone comment on the assertion by the Ultimate Disney review that the Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray actually includes all the Legacy bonus features encoded on the disc, but simply does not allow access to them from the menus?  It says that if you have a PC Blu-ray drive (I do not), you can find all the material on the disc and play it directly.

I've been searching for confirmation of this but have yet to find any...

I detest the decision to make the extras BD-Live only... I really hope Disney does not find this method successful enough to screw its customers again next time.

Hmm..Don't have a Blu-ray drive so I can't test, but it would seem strange for it to be true. If the content would fit, why would they have BD-Live? Makes zero sense...

#167 of 175 jquirk

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 05:51 AM

I must report that I changed my mind about the Deems Taylor dubs: It was the right thing to do. It was accomplished pretty much flawlessly, and truly the only way to re-create the roadshow version was to have somebody else fill in for all the dialogue. The overall Blu-ray presentation of the actual film is a 10 out of 10 in my book. The only problem I have with the Blu-ray is having all of the Legacy bonus material only available via BD Live.

I agree with urbo73 that it would not make any sense to make that additional content available only to those with a Blu-ray drive. If the material was encoded on the disc, then it should be available to anybody with a Blu-ray player, period.

#168 of 175 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,817 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by urbo73 

Hmm..Don't have a Blu-ray drive so I can't test, but it would seem strange for it to be true. If the content would fit, why would they have BD-Live? Makes zero sense...

The conspiracy theorist in me would think they just want a way to keep tabs on you even while the actual content gets loaded from the disc. Posted Image

Actually, this would be not much diff than how digital copies are typically handled although you're required to use a limited use authentication code/key for that.

It actually makes good sense for the content to be stored on disc (for better use of resources), and then only use BD-Live as a gateway-of-sorts for accessing that content (even though it's on the disc) so they can do stuff like usage tracking, promote other usages of BD-Live, etc.

Remember, whatever Disney chooses to do would be what they believe is best overall for them as a business, not just for the consumer.  Of course, this is just idle speculation from me -- and I don't even know if any of that content is actually stored on the discs... Posted Image

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#169 of 175 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,682 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 01:18 PM

I'm pretty sure if the content was actually stored on the disc, it wouldn't take so damned to load, then stutter as it plays.  There's definitely some streaming happening, which wouldn't be necessary if the content was actually present on the disc.

EDIT:  Okay, I misunderstood.  The review asserts that the content is BOTH available via BD-Live and is authored on the Fantasia 2000 BD (but only accessible by using a BD-ROM drive).  I won't have a BD-ROM drive for at least another couple of months, so I have no way of verifying it.... but I'm intrigued.  As I stated a few posts back, I've got the DVD Anthology set, so I'm set either way.

#170 of 175 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 02:31 PM

I just checked the Fantasia 2000 disc in my computer, and there is a 48 min documentary called The Fantasia Legacy: The Concert Feature. It does in fact exist on the disc as a 480p video file. I can't find a way to access that file from the disc menu, unless the virtual vault is actually playing it from the disc. I'm also not sure why you can't view it full screen if that is the case.

Also someone, I don't remember if it was in this thread or another, suggested that Destino was only presented in 480p. This is in fact NOT the case. It is a 1080p AVC file.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#171 of 175 poddie

poddie

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for checking Douglas!  You didn't find any of the other bonuses on there?

I agree with Craig... it is definitely streaming when played through the menus.

I believe that Disney decided late in the game to "test the waters" with this Virtual Vault crap and just removed it from the menu.

#172 of 175 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted December 30 2010 - 05:13 PM

I didn't find any of the other features. Also I'm 90% sure that The Fantasia Legacy plays from the disc. It starts instantly, where if I go to the other features, they bring up a buffering bar.

Again why you can't play it full screen I don't know.

Doug

#173 of 175 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,863 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 31 2010 - 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

I just checked the Fantasia 2000 disc in my computer, and there is a 48 min documentary called The Fantasia Legacy: The Concert Feature. It does in fact exist on the disc as a 480p video file. I can't find a way to access that file from the disc menu, unless the virtual vault is actually playing it from the disc. I'm also not sure why you can't view it full screen if that is the case.

Also someone, I don't remember if it was in this thread or another, suggested that Destino was only presented in 480p. This is in fact NOT the case. It is a 1080p AVC file.

It certainly wasn't stated as such in my review. However, the "Disney/Dali" documentary detailing the careers of both men and the creation of the short IS in 480i.

#174 of 175 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted December 31 2010 - 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce 

It certainly wasn't stated as such in my review. However, the "Disney/Dali" documentary detailing the careers of both men and the creation of the short IS in 480i.

OH no it wasn't in your review or anyone else's. I believe it was stated by someone who posted in a thread, but I'm too lazy to go find the post. :-)

Yes the documentary is 480I

Doug

#175 of 175 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,822 posts

Posted April 26 2011 - 10:16 AM

Just watching this on blu for the first time. I very much miss Deems Taylor's voice, but I'm still loving the film and it still gives me a chill...First saw it at the age of 10, maybe, and I've never seen it looking and sounding this good. The colors once in a while look almost a little too bright. But maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Forum Nav Content I Follow