Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Charlie Brown Christmas

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,373 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 06 2010 - 04:58 PM

... will air tomorrow (Tuesday) at 8:00 PM EST. Last year ABC edited it down to fit into a modern 30 minute slot and paired it with the CG animated elf special "Prep & Landing". The network got so much heat that they aired it a second time in its entirety closer to Christmas.

This year they've addressed that issue by commissioning another "Prep & Landing", this one a 7-minute short designed to fill out the hour so that "A Charlie Brown Christmas" can air in its (post-Coca Cola sponsorship) entirety. Count me as very happy about this. While I enjoyed the "Prep & Landing" special, the Charlie Brown Christmas special is the king of holiday specials, and it presents a message that isn't presented anywhere else these days.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 06 2010 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  I watched the Thanksgiving special for the first time in years this year (Little Birdie!), and I'll do the same with this.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   DaveMcS

DaveMcS

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 12:01 AM

Schroeder's Jingle Bells "mashup" for Lucy MAKES the Holidays!

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 04:07 PM

I havent seen it on network TV in years - do they still do that Bongo Drum opening?

(this openingL )

I'll put the DVD in soon - probably next Saturday or something.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,373 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 07 2010 - 05:30 PM

Unfortunately not, because ABC inhereted the rights from CBS in 2000.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,384 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 08 2010 - 01:58 AM

I missed it.  Is that going to be the only airing?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted December 08 2010 - 06:13 AM

Damn, that's a shame - the Bongo Drums opening was as much a part of the special as - oh, say the 20th Century Fox opening was a part of the Star Wars credits. The two were inseparable in my mind.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,065 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 19 2012 - 07:58 AM

Very cool behind the scenes info: http://www.neatorama...rown-Christmas/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 26 2012 - 03:33 PM

Neat.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 04:05 PM

They are all on Blu-Ray along with those behind the scenes about the show. The Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas ones are a MUST watch for me every year. Also, I would highly recommend the behind the scenes book for a Charlie Brown Christmas which has a great deal of history about Charles Schultz, his sketch work, etc. I just love all those shows as they simply don't make them like that any more.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,595 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 05:48 PM

They are all on Blu-Ray along with those behind the scenes about the show. The Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas ones are a MUST watch for me every year. Also, I would highly recommend the behind the scenes book for a Charlie Brown Christmas which has a great deal of history about Charles Schultz, his sketch work, etc. I just love all those shows as they simply don't make them like that any more.

What I really miss about that is when I watched it with the Dolly Madison commercials.

all-banner.jpg

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 05:43 AM

What I really miss about that is when I watched it with the Dolly Madison commercials.

Using editing software, you can always rip the special from the DVD and then put in ads for current products (you'll have to dub in an announcer for that, and compiling all of the ads will take time.) :D

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 27 2013 - 08:27 AM

The "CBS Special Presentation" bongo drums leader was no more a part of the program than this was a part of the Superman movie starring Christopher Reeve. :rolleyes:

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,595 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 06:16 PM

I'm sure everyone has heard of Charlie Brown voice actor being arrested on stalking charges...

all-banner.jpg

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Wiseguy

Wiseguy

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 04:07 PM

Damn, that's a shame - the Bongo Drums opening was as much a part of the special as - oh, say the 20th Century Fox opening was a part of the Star Wars credits. The two were inseparable in my mind.

For those that don't know, the bongo drum music was taken from a track on the original Hawaii Five-0 soundtrack from the late sixties.  The complete track (titled "Call to Danger") runs 1:50.  The very first time I heard it I thought of the CBS Special Presentation music.  Since Hawaii Five-0 was (and is) a CBS production, the music becomes a part of the vast CBS music library and can be used for any purpose by CBS. And it was. 

• ChristopherG likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users