What's new

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
... will air tomorrow (Tuesday) at 8:00 PM EST. Last year ABC edited it down to fit into a modern 30 minute slot and paired it with the CG animated elf special "Prep & Landing". The network got so much heat that they aired it a second time in its entirety closer to Christmas.

This year they've addressed that issue by commissioning another "Prep & Landing", this one a 7-minute short designed to fill out the hour so that "A Charlie Brown Christmas" can air in its (post-Coca Cola sponsorship) entirety. Count me as very happy about this. While I enjoyed the "Prep & Landing" special, the Charlie Brown Christmas special is the king of holiday specials, and it presents a message that isn't presented anywhere else these days.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the heads up. I watched the Thanksgiving special for the first time in years this year (Little Birdie!), and I'll do the same with this.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I havent seen it on network TV in years - do they still do that Bongo Drum opening?

(this openingL )

I'll put the DVD in soon - probably next Saturday or something.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Damn, that's a shame - the Bongo Drums opening was as much a part of the special as - oh, say the 20th Century Fox opening was a part of the Star Wars credits. The two were inseparable in my mind.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
They are all on Blu-Ray along with those behind the scenes about the show. The Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas ones are a MUST watch for me every year. Also, I would highly recommend the behind the scenes book for a Charlie Brown Christmas which has a great deal of history about Charles Schultz, his sketch work, etc. I just love all those shows as they simply don't make them like that any more.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Jeffery_H said:
They are all on Blu-Ray along with those behind the scenes about the show. The Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas ones are a MUST watch for me every year. Also, I would highly recommend the behind the scenes book for a Charlie Brown Christmas which has a great deal of history about Charles Schultz, his sketch work, etc. I just love all those shows as they simply don't make them like that any more.
What I really miss about that is when I watched it with the Dolly Madison commercials.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
JohnS said:
What I really miss about that is when I watched it with the Dolly Madison commercials.
Using editing software, you can always rip the special from the DVD and then put in ads for current products (you'll have to dub in an announcer for that, and compiling all of the ads will take time.) :D

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The "CBS Special Presentation" bongo drums leader was no more a part of the program than this was a part of the Superman movie starring Christopher Reeve. :rolleyes:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm sure everyone has heard of Charlie Brown voice actor being arrested on stalking charges...

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Tony J Case said:
Damn, that's a shame - the Bongo Drums opening was as much a part of the special as - oh, say the 20th Century Fox opening was a part of the Star Wars credits. The two were inseparable in my mind.
For those that don't know, the bongo drum music was taken from a track on the original Hawaii Five-0 soundtrack from the late sixties. The complete track (titled "Call to Danger") runs 1:50. The very first time I heard it I thought of the CBS Special Presentation music. Since Hawaii Five-0 was (and is) a CBS production, the music becomes a part of the vast CBS music library and can be used for any purpose by CBS. And it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks