What's new

Question about receiver compatibilty with my 3D TV (1 Viewer)

tanaman

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey Busch
Hi, what do I need to look for when choosing a home theatre system to keep it compatible with my 50" Samsung 3D TV? I am leaning towards purchasing the Onkyo HT-S7200. Thanks.

tanaman

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey Busch
After comparing a receiver that is 3D compatible with a non-3D receiver it looks like the different is the HMDI version. 1.4 is the one with 3D. Does this sound right?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
To be safe, stick to a receiver that is HDMI 1.4 compliant.

All of the latest generation of Onkyo HTiB systems (the 9300, 7300, 6300, 5300, and 3300) are HDMI 1.4 and will be able to pass the full 3D signal from your Blu-Ray source to your TV.

If you want floorstanding speakers, the 7300 is the system for you. The 3300 system is not generally recommended because it has a passive (unpowered) subwoofer.

If you have a mix of HDMI and non-HDMI sources, you should not go any lower than the 6300 system. The 6300 and above will convert all video sources to HDMI.

JPcommanderLTD

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Do yourself a favor and save yourself some money and don't buy a receiver. I just bought the Samsung 58" c8000 plasma 3D TV and discovered my receiver (Sony 4400 ES) was not compatible either. If you already have a good receiver... look into a new 3d blue ray player. I bought the Panasonic BDT-350 it has two HDMI jacks on the back one of which is 1.4 the other 1.3. This allows me to transmit video directly to the TV and the audio to the receiver. WIth this set up I retain the ability to retain high def audio and watch 3d video at the same time. It saved me at least $1200.

Think about it...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by JPcommanderLTD
It saved me at least $1200.

You need to start shopping around more, especially if the only HDMI 1.4 receivers you're seeing are $1200 Really, there is no price premium whatsoever for 1.4 over 1.3 - virtually all the major manufacturers have adopted 1.4 as their baseline standard. There are great starter 1.4 receivers for as little as $300 and "well equipped" models for under $500.

While I am firmly in the camp of "don't overbuy on a receiver", I also don't see any reason not to adopt the latest standards when there is little to no price premium whatsoever for them over their predecessor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks