Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Voyage to the bottom of sea episodes

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts

Posted December 04 2010 - 01:10 PM

I have not been able to find a thread that discusses individual episodes for Voyage to the bottom of the sea. I have started to watch S4, V1 as i get geared up to the final S4-V2 release in January 2011. I have watch the episode called Fatal Cargo and it looks like the white gorilla looks like the mugato from Star Trek - Private Little War Episode. The doctor Blanchard from star trek episodes, like the cage, return of the archon, etc.

#2 of 12 Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted December 05 2010 - 03:25 AM

Paul:

If I had the time, I'd do a recap of that which composes VOYAGE S4 V2.  I will say that because of the split season format -- and that Irwin Allen, or FOX, or the network originally airing the series tended to "bury" the weaker episodes in the middle of the season -- a second volume for this season is initially disadvantaged.   

Because of this, we have the two weakest episodes leading off this collection.  Like all episodes of VOYAGE, there are things to like about "Return of Blackbeard" and "Terrible Leprechaun" - but expect that they are weaker and more fantasy oriented than the series norms. 

After that, it really takes off into some of the better stuff of the last season and a half.  Even the "absurd-on-the-surface" episode "Savage Jungle" is a guilty pleasure of mine that I've watched over and over again on VHS!  Now, I'll have a perfect DVD quality copy. 

Take a look at the Amazon reviews for some good detail on the episodes.  Link below.   I think some of these say it well! 

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

#3 of 12 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts

Posted December 05 2010 - 03:53 AM

I actually watched David Hedison interview and he talks about the later episodes of Voyage being very weak around the imagery. He is quoted as saying less time and money was put into the show around the monsters to the point they look very cheesy. The interview goes on to say the early episodes were much better than the later ones.

I have watched several episodes and there are some very good episodes, but there is also some cheesy imagery, especially watching the monsters hold the submarine and you can tell it is a guy in tank holding a model, lol.

The episode that i talked about was fatal cargo and that was because it looks like the star trek beast mugato was used without the horn. The professor was from a few episodes in star trek as well. I was just curious if anyone else seem this episode and notice this as well.

#4 of 12 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted December 05 2010 - 07:57 AM

Paul many fans commented on fatal cargo when vol 1 of season 4 came out. The fans were Star Trek and Voyage fans which it seems there are very few.  I remember they said the monster was in Star Trek.  I was not a Trek TV fan. I liked the movies and bought them in Blu Ray.  .  I really liked The Next Generation and my favorite Deep Space 9.  I want to buy DS9 if they would fix it or at a good price.

Joe mentioned Voyage episodes I could make a list of my guilty pleasure ones.  Black Beard is one the Ice Men perhaps.  I love the Victor Jory episode and the Flying Dutchman. I also liked Deadly Dolls.

I just finished Blow Up. I thought a great episode. I hated Terror but watched it again this weekend.  The Flying Sub attacking the Seaview was a great moment.  So maybe it will go my guilty pleasure list. I always watch the Christmas Episode and I have that to look forward to.

#5 of 12 Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted December 05 2010 - 10:11 AM

Paul:

Never lose sight of the fact that what is "cheesy" in 2010 was utterly amazing in the mid-1960s.  VOYAGE took TV from the Black and White Age of "Leave it to Beaver", "Father Knows Best" and even "The Outer Limits" into a new visual age.  ...And Space 1999 would advance it again a decade later.

Enjoy it for what it is... something that will never be again!

And enjoy the Mugato as the White Gorilla... and the White Gorilla as the Mugato!  To me, it works from both sides!

Mark,

The 4th Season really came strong out of the gate with "Fires of Death", "Deadly Dolls", and "Cave of the Dead"... So much "death" so little time!  Posted Image

And, it ENDS quite well too: "Man-Beast", "Nightmare", "Attack", "Secret of the Deep", "Edge of Doom", "The Death Clock", and the great final episode "No Way Back"! 

#6 of 12 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,199 posts

Posted December 05 2010 - 12:27 PM

I should re-phrase my comments about the cheesiness. The show was very well written and the imagery was good for its time. I never seen the show it is original run due to the fact either was not born or too young. I started collecting classic shows, because it started to fascinate me with the quality of programs back in 1960s/1970s/1980s. Watching the shows is like re-living the shows from the original run.

I have the original outerlimits as well and have watched a few episodes as well. That show was good for its time as well.

#7 of 12 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 10:02 AM

I wanted to place this post from Seaview 7 Nick here.  He speaks of a very special fan and here it is.

I was saddened to hear that Michael Bailey had passed away. I had received a couple of emails from him over the years, in response to my questions and he was always friendly and extremely well versed in the Voyage universe. I know some fans bristled at his episode reviews on his site but Mr. Bailey was a true fan and any criticisms he may have had of some segments were honest and in the show's best interests. His Voyage website had great cast interviews, rare photos and tons of information on the series. No other website came close to providing such Voyage history. RIP, Michael, we'll miss you.

Something reminds me, the kind of criticism that DID annoy me in terms of Voyage comes from people who never valued the show at all. The late Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper once listed Voyage as the worst show ever made, along with Gilligan's Island and I Dream of Jeannie. Yet in 1968, when Cynthia Lowry (AP columnist)  looked over the 1967-68 cancellations, she selected only one cancelled series as worthy of being saved and mourned: VOYAGE. She said she would miss its ingenious stories, fun monsters of the week and inventive special effects, as well as its charm. Dave Kaufman of Daily Variety was less kind at the time, saying Voyage deserved its cancellation and, "was an unattractive melodrama that will not be missed and is best forgotten." More recently, the reviewer at the Sci-Fi channel website reviewed the Voyage DVDs in a similar manner of mocking contempt.

Critics. Bah humbug! 
Mike Bailey's voice lives on, his Voyage site is still online. He was always intelligent and insightful, he will be missed:
Off topic; My cousin just bought Melissa Gilbert's autobiography and while discussing her "Little House on the Prairie" days, she mentions that one particular highlight for her was working with "the great" Richard Basehart, and says, "He was my hero because he played Admiral Nelson on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea."

Mel Gibson, Bob Hope, Drew Carey, Tom Hanks and Tim Allen have all gone on public record as being Voyage fans but Melissa Gilbert?????

During breaks in the filming of "Man Beast,' actor Lawrence Montaigne (Dr. Kermit Braddock) recalls that he would race around the Seaview corridors in his wheelchair, then Basehart would grab the wheelchair and race down the halls, then Hedison would take a turn...etc. Sometimes I wonder if the antics off-set were wilder than the actual voyages?

And speaking of story ideas for year five, Frank Garcia interviewed 20 people associated with Voyage (Zale Parry, Jock Gaynor, Harve Bennett, Neile McQueen) for a Starlog magazine article last fall, "The Many Secrets of Voyage'" and it includes several ideas for a fifth year, including an "out of control" weather story where Nelson's brother Perry is killed by scientists, and a William Welch story where the crew is transformed into cartoon characters one by one. There's also a funny (real) story of Terry Becker bumping into Irwin Allen many years after Voyage - no, it didn't go well!  

Thankyou Nick!!!

#8 of 12 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 09:41 AM

Mark Thanyou once more for the news!!! I am now thinking of moving my free shiping from Amazon to paid.

Mark Voyage Fans are in your debt for this great weekend news report!!!

#9 of 12 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Collins 

Off topic; My cousin just bought Melissa Gilbert's autobiography and while discussing her "Little House on the Prairie" days, she mentions that one particular highlight for her was working with "the great" Richard Basehart, and says, "He was my hero because he played Admiral Nelson on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea."

Mel Gibson, Bob Hope, Drew Carey, Tom Hanks and Tim Allen have all gone on public record as being Voyage fans but Melissa Gilbert?????

During breaks in the filming of "Man Beast,' actor Lawrence Montaigne (Dr. Kermit Braddock) recalls that he would race around the Seaview corridors in his wheelchair, then Basehart would grab the wheelchair and race down the halls, then Hedison would take a turn...etc. Sometimes I wonder if the antics off-set were wilder than the actual voyages?

And speaking of story ideas for year five, Frank Garcia interviewed 20 people associated with Voyage (Zale Parry, Jock Gaynor, Harve Bennett, Neile McQueen) for a Starlog magazine article last fall, "The Many Secrets of Voyage'" and it includes several ideas for a fifth year, including an "out of control" weather story where Nelson's brother Perry is killed by scientists, and a William Welch story where the crew is transformed into cartoon characters one by one. There's also a funny (real) story of Terry Becker bumping into Irwin Allen many years after Voyage - no, it didn't go well!  

Thankyou Nick!!!

I sometimes wonder what kind of Episodes would have been filmed if a TV Series WASN'T Cancelled. Posted Image A long time back I read somewhere that if NBC had not cancelled The Bionic Woman (The Original) there was to have been an Episode where Jaime Sommers was taken to the Planet "Bigfoot" came from.

You might want to know the DVD Rack where I keep the Irwin Allen Series is right above the Rack I keep the Little House on the Prairie Series!Posted Image

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,619( 727 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,363   :B)  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#10 of 12 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:26 PM

Here is a sample of 3 who decided to rank the Irwin Allen Series

Since we're ranking the Irwin Allen series, I'll play:

1.) Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: I like the cast and the variety of episodes. I like both the serious episodes and the Rubber monsters. The Rubber monster stories always seem to work better here and seem far less hokey than Lost in Space.
2.) Land of the Giants: I guess I'm in the minority here but I always like this show alot more than Lost in Space. I found the small/big aspect always interesting and it doesn't have so many Hokey rubber monsters like Lost in space.
3.) Time Tunnel: Very interesting use of Time Travel and the fact of going to so many different places in history and the future. But the format did become repetitive.
4.) Lost in Space: I have always found this show to be overrated. Actually find Season One a bit boring. Not strong enough characters to carry a more serious tone and they didn't get quite serious enough. The show worked better when it didn't take itself too seriously with the Rubber Monsters/Aliens. Show saved by Dr. Smith and the Robot. 286 :

Here is how I would rank them.

1.) Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: My favorite tv series of all--finally have the first installment of my 'holy grail'. Two great actors with exceptional chemistry. Superlative hardware and effects--I never tire of watching the Seaview and Flying Sub interact with the terrors of the deep. First season a firm favorite, followed closely by S2. S3 and 4 de-evolves but there are some shining moments--and you still get Basehart, Hedison, some great FS-1 scenes and "guilty pleasure" episodes, e.g. 'The Wax Men'.

2.) Lost in Space: Loved the cast, guest stars and again the hardware (Jupiter 2, pod, robot and the Chariot). First half of S3 have my favorite episodes: 'Condemned of Space', 'Visit to a Hostile Planet', 'The Space Creature', 'Hunter's Moon'. Also like 'Time Merchant', 'Anti-Matter Man' and 'Target Earth'. The music to four of the early episodes by John Williams is still immensely enjoyable to me and one of the key factors in the quality of the series.

3.) The Time Tunnel: Great TT set with some wonderful effects. Good cast and guest stars, but Tony (and Doug especially) are a bit too wooden in their roles. A bit too predicatable but fun to watch nonetheless. I wish a few episodes had focused on the time tunnel complex more than just trying to 'get a fix' on our protagonists.

4.) Land of the Giants: Didn't like the cast--especially disliked Kaszner and Arngrim (the boy). Conway was good but I got tired of the actor who played Mark--he always seemed pissed off. Too many scenes where cast is seen trying to get up on top of tables, chairs and the like, making the story drag. Only really liked Deanna Lund for obvious reasons.

In terms of my own personal preference, I'd rank the Allen series thusly:

THE TIME TUNNEL
LOST IN SPACE
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA
LAND OF THE GIANTS

That's the way I remember them, too. TIME TUNNEL was a must-see show for me - a pit-in-the-stomach feeling if I missed it. I can recall the regret I was feeling at not being able to see them in color for the first dozen episodes. And the devastation I felt upon hearing of its cancellation...

LOST IN SPACE just seemed to always be there. Wednesday's must have been an easy day for me to watch TV, and even the campy episodes were fun for a teenager in a '60's "Bevis & Butthead" sort-of way. Me and my buddies would laugh at some of the stuff on that show the next day in school.

VOYAGE was usually reliable entertainment on a Sunday evening if nothing else was going on - but I never made it appointment television - for whatever reason. I admit that I probably hadn't seen many of the black & white episodes. They were probably on against some sitcoms on CBS that I watched.

LAND OF THE GIANTS seemed like just another rehash of LOST IN SPACE to me with the big/small gimmick. And I was still bitter about TIME TUNNEL's cancellation and probably took out my frustrations on not really wanting to like LAND OF THE GIANTS. Watching some of those episodes today, I still get the feeling that there's not much "there" there. Dr, Smith on LOST IN SPACE was annoying and funny at the same time. Fitzhugh was just annoying, IMHO.

#11 of 12 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 11:59 AM

Paul I believe this was the thread you wanted.

I rank

Season 4 Season 2  Season 3  Season 1

"Fires of Death"

Both Phantom Episodes

"The Thing From Inner Space"

" Long Live the King"

My number 1 pick "Fires of Death"/ "Killers of the Deep"

I ranked 10 from each seaon on the old Voyage thread.  I really like all Voyage. I also seem to watch more of Season 4 and just how I ranked it.  You must remember Guys you are dealing with a die hard Dark Shadows Fan.

#12 of 12 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 12:22 PM

Here is how I ranked things before. I still feel the same too.  I repeat I just like all Voyage

I decided I would list my favorite episodes from all 4 seasons
Season 1
Color Pilot

Long Live The King
Submarine Sunk Here
Mutiny
The Saboteur
The Idestructible Man
The Ghost of Moby Dick
The Invaders
The Last Battle
The Human Computer
The Magnus Beam

Season 2

The Phantom Strikes
The Return Of The Phantom
Men Fish
Killers Of THE Deep
Jonah And THe Whale
The Left Handed Man
Escape From Venice
Terror on Dinosaur Island
Deadly Creature Below
The Sky's On Fire

Season 3

The Thing From Inner Space
The Mummy
The Haunted Submarine
Deadly Waters
The Fossil Men
The Death Watch
The Day The World Ended
Day of Evil
The Terrible Toys
The Lost Bomb

Season 4

No Way Back
A Time TO Die
Fires Of Death
Cave Of The Dead
The Edge Of Doom
Man Of Manny Faces
The Return Of Blackbeard
Blow Up
The Deadly Dolls
Rescue

I surprised to find out there were more episodes in each season I wanted to include in the top ten. Here is a sample of such episodes.

Season 1 The Exile
Season 2 The Peacemaker
Season 3 The Wax Men
Season 4 The Death Clock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users