Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mel Gibson stars in a Jodie Foster picture: "The Beaver"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,878 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 03 2010 - 05:55 PM

The trailer is available here. Mel Gibson is one of the few creative forces with scary serious baggage that makes me forget about all of his fucked up personal shit as soon as he pops on screen. I'm glad Summit Entertainment had the balls to take a chance on this, much like the Philadelphia Eagles did with Michael Vick. A certain chunk of the audience will never see anything made by or starring Gibson again. Summit has to know that, and hope that a combination of loyal Mel Gibson fans and the morbidly curious will turn out to counteract that. Personally, I think the movie looks great.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,241 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted December 03 2010 - 06:01 PM

I think most people don't give a damn.  I know I don't.  I'm sure THE PASSION will still sell plenty of DVD copies this winter and I'm sure LW5 would bring in $50+ million on its opening weekend if it ever got made. It's doubtful a film like this is going to bring in mainstream folks but it certainly looks interesting and Foster has proven herself as a director.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted December 03 2010 - 06:48 PM

Well this was made before Gibson's most recent exposure, and was then shelved afterwords. It was going to get released eventually, because hey-- movies cost money. I heard it's a much darker movie than the trailer lets on, but I thought the trailer already seemed adequately black. looking forward to it.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted December 05 2010 - 03:26 PM

I looks good and frankly I don't care what Mel does or says off screen, when he's on, I enjoy. I like him as an actor and enjoy his films.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted December 05 2010 - 04:47 PM

I would watch anything Mel Gibson does over anything that one-note, fat what's his face from The Hangover does.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Kazz

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted December 07 2010 - 06:26 AM

Even though he have been having problems in his personal life, I love Mel and I would go to see him in any movie he is in.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,036 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 07 2010 - 07:02 AM

I feel bad for everyone that worked on this movie because Mel Gibson being a scumbag will be the only thing anyone talks about and the movie will essentially be an afterthought.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,241 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted December 07 2010 - 09:42 AM

I think THE BEAVER was always going to be more of an art house release so I really don't think the Gibson stuff is going to hurt it too badly box office wise.  I know there was talk of it going straight to DVD but apparently the studio feels good enough to give it its brief theatrical run. Those type of shows that have been covering the Gibson stuff weren't going to shine any type of spotlight on this movie anyways.  They rarely do art house pics unless the celeb is already in some sort of trouble so I'd guess that THE BEAVER is going to get more attention than it would have if Gibson wasn't in the news. Those shows like Showbiz Tonight, Entertainment Tonight and so on are really just for mainstream folks so I wouldn't hold anything they say too highly.  These might be able to hurt a big, mainstream film but I doubt art house folks are going to be turned off to stay away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users